Old 03-05-2011, 12:46 AM
Thufir Hawat

Default REISUB versus ctrl-alt-del

I know that it's possible to enable ctrl-alt-del to kill X Windows, buy
what was the rationale for getting rid of it?

REISUB is such overkill for the most common problems -- which can be
solved by either killing X or logging out!

Is there nothing, enabled by default, less drastic than REISUB?

thanks,

Thufir

Old 03-05-2011, 03:28 AM
Tom H

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 8:46 PM, Thufir Hawat <hawat.thufir@gmail.com> wrote:

> I know that it's possible to enable ctrl-alt-del to kill X Windows, buy
> what was the rationale for getting rid of it?
>
> REISUB is such overkill for the most common problems -- which can be
> solved by either killing X or logging out!
>
> Is there nothing, enabled by default, less drastic than REISUB?

You're confusing ctrl-alt-backspace and ctrl-alt-del.

The first is to kill X and it can be re-enabled through the GUI or the
CLI. It's probably been disabled in default X installs to prevent
anyone from using it by mistake.

The second is to reboot and AFAIK it's enabled by default and can be
disabled through the BIOS.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:43 AM
Thufir Hawat

On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 23:28:24 -0500, Tom H wrote:

> The first is to kill X and it can be re-enabled through the GUI or the
> CLI. It's probably been disabled in default X installs to prevent anyone
> from using it by mistake.

Well, my question remains: REISUB is overkill. Isn't there anything
less drastic which works by default?

-Thufir

Old 03-05-2011, 06:01 AM
Steve Flynn

On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 6:43 AM, Thufir Hawat <hawat.thufir@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 23:28:24 -0500, Tom H wrote:
>
>> The first is to kill X and it can be re-enabled through the GUI or the
>> CLI. It's probably been disabled in default X installs to prevent anyone
>> from using it by mistake.
>
> Well, my question remains: *REISUB is overkill. *Isn't there anything
> less drastic which works by default?

As you said, logging out and ordering a shutdown will normally work.
The SysReq keystroke sequence intended to perform a shutdown when the
kernel is hanging barely on to it's sanity. I've had to use it twice
since 1994.

--
Steve

Old 03-05-2011, 01:58 PM