Old 02-07-2008, 04:56 PM
Derek Broughton

Default fetchmail cant fetch mail

Wade Smart wrote:

> Looking in the logs I found a few problems with fetchmail:

> Feb 6 12:50:09 wadesmart fetchmail[10133]: Authorization failure on
> it@pop.where.secureserver.net
> Feb 6 12:50:09 wadesmart fetchmail[10133]: Query status=3 (AUTHFAIL)
> Feb 6 12:50:09 wadesmart fetchmail[10133]: Authorization failure on
> it@gmail-pop.l.google.com
> Feb 6 12:50:09 wadesmart fetchmail[10133]: Query status=3 (AUTHFAIL)
>
> I dont know why fetchmail is trying to contact
> pop.where.seureserver.net or why its contacting it@ for either gmail
> or secureserver.
>
> I stopped fetchmail and looked at the rc file and nothing has changed.
> I restarted and continued to have the same errors.

Well, there's not much we can do without the fetchmail config, but
gmail-pop.l.google.com is just normal gmail - so assuming you really _do_
have fetchmail set to connect to gmail, you have an authentication problem
there anyway.

Then the pop.secureserver.net could be any server whose mx points to
secureserver. So its probably whatever you tried to access before gmail.
--
derek

Old 02-07-2008, 05:13 PM
Wade Smart

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Wade Smart wrote:
>
>> Looking in the logs I found a few problems with fetchmail:

>> Feb 6 12:50:09 wadesmart fetchmail[10133]: Authorization failure on
>> it@pop.where.secureserver.net
>> Feb 6 12:50:09 wadesmart fetchmail[10133]: Query status=3 (AUTHFAIL)
>> Feb 6 12:50:09 wadesmart fetchmail[10133]: Authorization failure on
>> it@gmail-pop.l.google.com
>> Feb 6 12:50:09 wadesmart fetchmail[10133]: Query status=3 (AUTHFAIL)
>>
>> I dont know why fetchmail is trying to contact
>> pop.where.seureserver.net or why its contacting it@ for either gmail
>> or secureserver.
>>
>> I stopped fetchmail and looked at the rc file and nothing has changed.
>> I restarted and continued to have the same errors.
>
> Well, there's not much we can do without the fetchmail config, but
> gmail-pop.l.google.com is just normal gmail - so assuming you really _do_
> have fetchmail set to connect to gmail, you have an authentication problem
> there anyway.
>
> Then the pop.secureserver.net could be any server whose mx points to
> secureserver. So its probably whatever you tried to access before gmail.

02072008 1210 GMT-6

Last night I restarted fetchmail and its working again. I hate those
type of problems.

But this is my rc file:
# Configuration created Tue Oct 24 12:53:28 2006 by fetchmailconf 1.52
$Revision: 4636 $
set syslog
set postmaster "wadesmart"
set no bouncemail
set no spambounce
set properties ""
set daemon 150

# setup first email service provider -> WadeSmart
poll mail.wadesmart.com
uidl
proto pop3
auth password
user "username" there with password "password"
nokeep
no fetchall

# setup second email service provider -> Gmail
poll pop.gmail.com
uidl
proto pop3
port 995
auth password
user "wadesmart@gmail.com" there with password "password"
nokeep
no fetchall
ssl sslcertpath /etc/ssl/certs

The gmail-pop-l-google.com only shows up when there is a problem,
otherwise its pop.gmail.com.

Wade

Old 02-08-2008, 02:33 AM
Derek Broughton

Wade Smart wrote:

>>> I dont know why fetchmail is trying to contact
>>> pop.where.seureserver.net or why its contacting it@ for either gmail
>>> or secureserver.

> # setup first email service provider -> WadeSmart
> poll mail.wadesmart.com

Ahem:
derek@bella:~$ nslookup mail.wadesmart.com
Server: 192.168.1.1
Address: 192.168.1.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: mail.wadesmart.com
Address: 72.167.82.11

derek@bella:~$ nslookup 72.167.82.11
Server: 192.168.1.1
Address: 192.168.1.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
11.82.167.72.in-addr.arpa name =
p3pop01-v01.prod.phx3.secureserver.net.

So your mail provider _is_ secureserver.net. And the only thing that was
wrong was that both fetches were failing to authenticate. I can't help
with that.

> # setup second email service provider -> Gmail
> poll pop.gmail.com
> The gmail-pop-l-google.com only shows up when there is a problem,
> otherwise its pop.gmail.com.

That's normal. You _ask_ for pop.gmail.com (just as you ask for
mail.wadesmart.com), but the big providers will use various load-sharing
schemes to route you to different hosts, so if you see messages back from
them (and you usually only see errors) they'll have the address of the
physical machine.
--
derek

Old 02-08-2008, 01:04 PM
Wade Smart

Derek Broughton wrote:

>> # setup first email service provider -> WadeSmart
>> poll mail.wadesmart.com
>
> Ahem:
> derek@bella:~$ nslookup mail.wadesmart.com
> Server: 192.168.1.1
> Address: 192.168.1.1#53
>
> Non-authoritative answer:
> Name: mail.wadesmart.com
> Address: 72.167.82.11
>
> derek@bella:~$ nslookup 72.167.82.11
> Server: 192.168.1.1
> Address: 192.168.1.1#53
>
> Non-authoritative answer:
> 11.82.167.72.in-addr.arpa name =
> p3pop01-v01.prod.phx3.secureserver.net.
>
> So your mail provider _is_ secureserver.net. And the only thing that was
> wrong was that both fetches were failing to authenticate. I can't help
> with that.
>
>> # setup second email service provider -> Gmail
>> poll pop.gmail.com
>> The gmail-pop-l-google.com only shows up when there is a problem,
>> otherwise its pop.gmail.com.
>
> That's normal. You _ask_ for pop.gmail.com (just as you ask for
> mail.wadesmart.com), but the big providers will use various load-sharing
> schemes to route you to different hosts, so if you see messages back from
> them (and you usually only see errors) they'll have the address of the
> physical machine.

02082008 0802 GMT-6

I know secureserver is my host - but the it@pop.where.secureserver.net
is or was the problem.

Whatever it was, I turned on fetchmail later that night and after 12
hours it started working so Im going to assume it was outside of my
environment.

Wade

Old 02-09-2008, 07:52 PM
Dan Farrell

On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 08:04:05 -0600
Wade Smart <wadesmart@gmail.com> wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:

> >> # setup first email service provider -> WadeSmart
> >> poll mail.wadesmart.com
> >
> > Ahem:
> > derek@bella:~$ nslookup mail.wadesmart.com
> > Server: 192.168.1.1
> > Address: 192.168.1.1#53
> >
> > Non-authoritative answer:
> > Name: mail.wadesmart.com
> > Address: 72.167.82.11
> >
> > derek@bella:~$ nslookup 72.167.82.11
> > Server: 192.168.1.1
> > Address: 192.168.1.1#53
> >
> > Non-authoritative answer:
> > 11.82.167.72.in-addr.arpa name =
> > p3pop01-v01.prod.phx3.secureserver.net.
> >
> > So your mail provider _is_ secureserver.net. And the only thing
> > that was wrong was that both fetches were failing to authenticate.
> > I can't help with that.
> >
> >> # setup second email service provider -> Gmail
> >> poll pop.gmail.com
> >> The gmail-pop-l-google.com only shows up when there is a problem,
> >> otherwise its pop.gmail.com.
> >
> > That's normal. You _ask_ for pop.gmail.com (just as you ask for
> > mail.wadesmart.com), but the big providers will use various
> > load-sharing schemes to route you to different hosts, so if you see
> > messages back from them (and you usually only see errors) they'll
> > have the address of the physical machine.
>
> 02082008 0802 GMT-6
>
> I know secureserver is my host - but the
> it@pop.where.secureserver.net is or was the problem.
>
> Whatever it was, I turned on fetchmail later that night and after 12
> hours it started working so Im going to assume it was outside of my
> environment.
>
> Wade

Wade, you must host your email on Godaddy. make sure you don't have
your email set up to forward to 'it' or to catch-all on the godaddy
site.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:59 PM
Wade Smart

Dan Farrell wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 08:04:05 -0600
> Wade Smart <wadesmart@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Derek Broughton wrote:

>>> Ahem:
>>> derek@bella:~$ nslookup mail.wadesmart.com
>>> Server: 192.168.1.1
>>> Address: 192.168.1.1#53
>>>
>>> Non-authoritative answer:
>>> Name: mail.wadesmart.com
>>> Address: 72.167.82.11
>>>
>>> derek@bella:~$ nslookup 72.167.82.11
>>> Server: 192.168.1.1
>>> Address: 192.168.1.1#53
>>>
>>> Non-authoritative answer:
>>> 11.82.167.72.in-addr.arpa name =
>>> p3pop01-v01.prod.phx3.secureserver.net.
>>>
>>> So your mail provider _is_ secureserver.net. And the only thing
>>> that was wrong was that both fetches were failing to authenticate.
>>> I can't help with that.

>>> That's normal. You _ask_ for pop.gmail.com (just as you ask for
>>> mail.wadesmart.com), but the big providers will use various
>>> load-sharing schemes to route you to different hosts, so if you see
>>> messages back from them (and you usually only see errors) they'll
>>> have the address of the physical machine.
>> 02082008 0802 GMT-6
>>
>> I know secureserver is my host - but the
>> it@pop.where.secureserver.net is or was the problem.
>>
>> Whatever it was, I turned on fetchmail later that night and after 12
>> hours it started working so Im going to assume it was outside of my
>> environment.
>>
>> Wade
>>

> Wade, you must host your email on Godaddy. make sure you don't have
> your email set up to forward to 'it' or to catch-all on the godaddy
> site.

02092008 1458 GMT-6

No forwarding to any address.

Apparently Im not the only one who has this trouble. I did a search
yesterday morning for it@pop.where..... and I found many errors from
different versions of linux using fetchmail who have had the same
problem. Most with different hosts but some with gmail.

Wade

Old 02-09-2008, 08:07 PM
Wade Smart