Old 02-07-2008, 04:26 PM
Larry Shields

Default Linksys WMP54G Wireles Adaptor Wont Work; Or I Don't Know How To

Colin Brace wrote:
> Sorry to hear about your problems. That card should be supported by
> the rt2400 driver, which is included in the current kernel; no
> ndiswrapper necessary. I haven't tried it under Ubuntu but it works
> under Fedora.
>
> I've had good experiences with Atheros-based wlan cards, but they can
> be tricky to find. At the moment I am using one from TP-Link:
>
> <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=tp-link+wireless+atheros+pci>
>
> You should be able to find one for about twenty euros.

*Have you tried RUTILT VO.16 it was primely for the RT2x00...
You can download it via Synaptic, then bring up a terminal run it as
root, sudo su
password, then just add your profile name, and essid, add the key and it
should work for you...

Hope this helps...

Larry
*

--
Powered by Debian/GNU/Linux
by Ubuntu ver 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

"This is Linux Country,
on a quiet night you can hear
WINDOZE ! Systems REBOOTING !!"

Old 02-07-2008, 04:57 PM
"Colin Brace"

Sorry to hear about your problems. That card should be supported by
the rt2400 driver, which is included in the current kernel; no
ndiswrapper necessary. I haven't tried it under Ubuntu but it works
under Fedora.

I've had good experiences with Atheros-based wlan cards, but they can
be tricky to find. At the moment I am using one from TP-Link:

<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=tp-link+wireless+atheros+pci>

You should be able to find one for about twenty euros.

--
Colin Brace
Amsterdam
http://lim.nl

Old 02-07-2008, 07:24 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

--- Colin Brace <cb@lim.nl> wrote:

> Sorry to hear about your problems. That card should
> be supported by
> the rt2400 driver, which is included in the current
> kernel; no
> ndiswrapper necessary. I haven't tried it under
> Ubuntu but it works
> under Fedora.
>
> I've had good experiences with Atheros-based wlan
> cards, but they can
> be tricky to find. At the moment I am using one from
> TP-Link:

<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=tp-link+wireless+atheros+pci>

> You should be able to find one for about twenty
> euros.

Thanks Colin, for the info. Haven't seen the rt2400
yet in my googling or review or the Ubuntu's supported
wifi adapters. Have tried out the rt61, rt61pci,
rt2500 and some I don't remember just to experiment.
Some recognized the card and set it up but still
didn't work. Others didn't even see the card. I just
installed Gutsy on my new Gateway, including my first
ever burning of a disc, and using 2.6.22-16 generic
which I think is the latest kerneel. If I can find the
module with locate, I'll surely try it out as it an
expernsive card. Well, got smart before sending this
and looked. The latest gutsy kernel,2.6.22.16 generic
has the rt2400pci module only while the other gutsy
kernels, all 2.6.20-* version gutsy kernels have the
rt2400. So, I'll prresume you mean the rt2400pci
version for the latest gutsy kernel. I'll wait a
while before trying it out if you want to confirm as I
could use any of the gutsy kernels, have them all
installed.
Again thank for the new info,
BTW, maybe you can verify something for me. Do you
have to remove the card before installing the
driver/module as yhou do ffor windows? This is the
first time I've set up a network by myself and I still
have to review setting up wireless networking in
Ubuntu. So any tips are welcome.
Thjanks again for the info,

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 02-07-2008, 09:08 PM
"Colin Brace"

On Feb 7, 2008 9:24 PM, Leonard Chatagnier <lenc5570@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> BTW, maybe you can verify something for me. Do you
> have to remove the card before installing the
> driver/module as yhou do ffor windows?

Leonard, as a general rule, if the kernel detects new hardware in your
system, it will load the corresponding kernel module automatically,
*if is available*, obviously!

The first thing you should do when you add a piece of new hardware,
such as a NIC, to your system, is check dmesg, after rebooting if
required. This contains a full record of the kernel's interaction with
your hardware.

dmesg output tends to be very long, it may be useful to view with 'less'.

In your case, you will want to look for the string "rt2400", which is
the name of the driver for the RaLink RT2400, RT2500, etc family,

--
Colin Brace
Amsterdam

Old 02-07-2008, 10:26 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

Ok, thanks. Actually was doing that and the rt2400
was not the one loaded. I'll unload all the rt*
related stuff from the kernel, then pull the card and
reboot starting over and then reinsert the card to see
what loads and take it from there. If that does not
work, I'll try the rt 2400. Appreciate your help.

--- Colin Brace <cb@lim.nl> wrote:

> On Feb 7, 2008 9:24 PM, Leonard Chatagnier
> <lenc5570@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> > BTW, maybe you can verify something for me. Do
> you
> > have to remove the card before installing the
> > driver/module as yhou do ffor windows?
>
> Leonard, as a general rule, if the kernel detects
> new hardware in your
> system, it will load the corresponding kernel module
> automatically,
> *if is available*, obviously!
>
> The first thing you should do when you add a piece
> of new hardware,
> such as a NIC, to your system, is check dmesg, after
> rebooting if
> required. This contains a full record of the
> kernel's interaction with
> your hardware.
>
> dmesg output tends to be very long, it may be useful
> to view with 'less'.
>
> In your case, you will want to look for the string
> "rt2400", which is
> the name of the driver for the RaLink RT2400,
> RT2500, etc family,
>
> --
> Colin Brace
> Amsterdam
> http://lim.nl

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 02-08-2008, 04:50 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

--- Colin Brace <cb@lim.nl> wrote:

> Sorry to hear about your problems. That card should
> be supported by
> the rt2400 driver, which is included in the current
> kernel; no
> ndiswrapper necessary. I haven't tried it under
> Ubuntu but it works
> under Fedora.

Welll, gave it a good try and I'm sorry to say it
didn't work with the rt2400. I cleared out
/etc/modules of the rt modules I added and all the
blacklisted modules I added until the system was back
to original state when it was wired. Pulled the card
and rebooted to clear out any related moduled in the
kernel. Added it back and rebooted again. lspci
listed the card. lsmod listed rt2400pci and all
related dependencies but dmesg, debug, kern and daemon
logs had no mention of anything wireless and iwconfig
had no wireless extensions.Adding all the detail
because I don't know what I'm doing and someone may
see something wrong. The irg wasn't even assigned as
on my other trials and I'm wondering if I should
remove the NIC in case it could be interfering with
the wifi.
Thaanks your efforts are appreciated,

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net