-   -   USB Directconnect cable - unable to get it to work (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/497014-usb-directconnect-cable-unable-get-work.html)

Ian Coetzee 03-04-2011 06:54 AM

USB Directconnect cable - unable to get it to work

Hi Nils,

Thanks for the response, see my answers below.

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 9:35 AM, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:
> Ian Coetzee wrote:

<SNIP>

> From the syslog excerpt it looks like the device creates a virtual CD
> drive on both machines as soon as you connect the second one. Then
> Windows autoloads a driver / application from that CD to configure the
> network between the machines. You could have a look at that virtual CD
> but I don't think there is anything for Linux included on it.

Something I forgot to add to my post, The virtual CD drive created
lists files for Windows and Mac, but not Linux.

>As you
> googled already without success, I would assume it is a Windows-only
> solution. Maybe you should ask the vendor and/or manufacturer for a
> Linux driver.

This is my next port of call.

>As an alternative you could sponsor such a device to
> someone involved in kernel development in the hope that they would write
> a network driver for it.

Could you suggest someone for me (or a place to find them)?

>> I was actually hoping that I can use this device as a "network" link
>> between the two devices, so I do not have to do my synergy'ing [2]
>> over a wireless connection the whole time [which as you can guess is
>> VERY slow]
>
> Can't you use a standard ethernet cable instead of the wireless link? A
> gigabit ethernet link should be even much faster than the USB cable.

Unfortunately that will not be possible, as on my table I only have
one network point. So I have to connect one laptop to cable, and the
other to wireless.

I cannot connect both to the wireless because the HP uses a broadcom
chipset, and connecting that one to the wireless makes it unusably
slow ( < 1 KiB/s max download ).

I could possibly try using internet connection sharing, but then that
will break my SMB sharing to the server :(.

But the main reason is that I just want to be otherwise.

At the moment I am running my synergy via a switch, but thats only
temporary, until they take the switch away :).

Regards
Ian

Jacob Mansfield 03-04-2011 07:01 AM

USB Directconnect cable - unable to get it to work

http://tinyurl.com/65z3xprJacob Mansfield
Programmer
CyberKing Solutions™
www.cyberkingsolutions.co.uk - I do know the database is down

"When Windows™ is opened the bugs come in."

Nils Kassube 03-04-2011 07:54 AM

Ian Coetzee wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 9:35 AM, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:
> >As an alternative you could sponsor such a device to
> > someone involved in kernel development in the hope that they would
> > write a network driver for it.
>
> Could you suggest someone for me (or a place to find them)?

You could ask on the Linux kernel mailing list [1]. And there is an
offer to manufacturers for Linux driver development [2].

Nils

[1] <http://www.tux.org/lkml/>
[2] <http://www.kroah.com/log/linux/free_drivers.html>

NoOp 03-05-2011 02:51 AM

On 03/03/2011 11:54 PM, Ian Coetzee wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 9:35 AM, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:
>> Ian Coetzee wrote:
>>
>> Can't you use a standard ethernet cable instead of the wireless link? A
>> gigabit ethernet link should be even much faster than the USB cable.
>>

> Unfortunately that will not be possible, as on my table I only have
> one network point. So I have to connect one laptop to cable, and the
> other to wireless.
>
> I cannot connect both to the wireless because the HP uses a broadcom
> chipset, and connecting that one to the wireless makes it unusably
> slow ( < 1 KiB/s max download ).
>
> I could possibly try using internet connection sharing, but then that
> will break my SMB sharing to the server :(.
>
> But the main reason is that I just want to be otherwise.

Perhaps these will be of interest:
http://www.linux-usb.org/usbnet/
http://www.linux-usb.org/FAQ.html
http://packages.ubuntu.com/maverick/usbip
http://usbip.sourceforge.net/

I know that none of those resolve your question. But they might be of
interest nonetheless.

Regarding the broadcom chipset; perhaps if you can give details someone
here can help you figure out the "< 1 KiB/s max download" issue.

Ian Coetzee 03-05-2011 08:03 PM

USB Directconnect cable - unable to get it to work

Hi all

First of, sorry for making this a top post, for I am on my phone and
cannot see the email.

Noop, thanks for the links that is some quite intersting reading.

Also, in regards to the wireless problem, I did not want to bother
this list with yet another problem regarding the crappy broadcom
chipset. Also it is only at the office a problem, and I much prefer a
cable over wireless in any way. While I was typing this I realised
that the probllem might also be related to the wireless AP itself
*shrug*

Regards
Ian

Btw sorry yet again for the top post.

Alan Pope 03-05-2011 10:12 PM

On 4 March 2011 08:01, Jacob Mansfield <cyberjacob@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://tinyurl.com/65z3xpr

Rude and unhelpful. Please don't bark LMGTFY links at people. If you
want to help, do it, if you just want to show off how amazing your
powers of googling are, go elsewhere.

Al.