Old 03-04-2011, 05:20 AM
Robert Holtzman

Default 2.6.32-30 kernel failed to install

Running 10.04-2 on a desktop and laptop.
Just updated my desktop using "apt-get dist-upgrade"and the 2.6.32-30
kernel installed without a problem. Tried the same with my laptop (Dell
Latitude D600) and even though the -30 kernel appeared in the list of
packages to be installed, It isn't shown in /boot or in the menu.lst
file. It also doesn't appear in synaptic. Rerunning apt-get update and
upgrade shows the system is up to date. Also (may not be germane) I'm
now getting the boot messages repeated before the GUI gets loaded.

Any troubleshooting suggestions/pointers appreciated.

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279

Old 03-05-2011, 07:08 AM
Robert Holtzman

On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 11:20:57PM -0700, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> Running 10.04-2 on a desktop and laptop.
> Just updated my desktop using "apt-get dist-upgrade"and the 2.6.32-30
> kernel installed without a problem. Tried the same with my laptop (Dell
> Latitude D600) and even though the -30 kernel appeared in the list of
> packages to be installed, It isn't shown in /boot or in the menu.lst
> file. It also doesn't appear in synaptic. Rerunning apt-get update and
> upgrade shows the system is up to date.

Once I got time to sit down and think about it, the solution became
clear. The package didn't have to be in synaptic. Running "apt-get
install linux-image-2.6.32-30-generic" pulled it off the repo.

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279