Old 03-03-2011, 08:04 PM
Amichai Rotman

Default A Moving to Linux Question

Hello,
I'd like to find the fastest way to verify a computer running Windows is ready to move to Linux. Not hardware-wise only, software-wise to.
I would like to have a Windows app that can run from a USB Stick (without the need to install it) that will scan the installed hardware and software and give a table as a result that lists the Windows app on one side and the parallel Linux app on the other. If no match was found - a link to a site to report the app to a community database that updates the alternatives, or something along those lines.

Any app like that exists?
Thanks!
Amichai.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:08 PM
Alan Pope

On 3 March 2011 21:04, Amichai Rotman <amichai@iglu.org.il> wrote:
> If no match was found - a link to a site to
> report the app to a community database that updates the alternatives, or
> something along those lines.
> Any app like that exists?

Not that I'm aware of.

Al.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:17 PM
Jeff Lane

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 16:08, Alan Pope <popey@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On 3 March 2011 21:04, Amichai Rotman <amichai@iglu.org.il> wrote:
>> If no match was found - a link to a site to
>> report the app to a community database that updates the alternatives, or
>> something along those lines.
>> Any app like that exists?
>
> Not that I'm aware of.

Nor is such a thing likely, at least as described...

The hardware side is somewhat trivial, and would be better achieved,
IMO with a live Ubuntu ISO that does compatibility testing against the
hardware it's booted on.

The software side I'd wager is a LOT more difficult, almost to the
point of being relatively useless...

WIndows doesn't ship with any software, nor does it provide, as far as
I can tell on my own Windows systems, a way to easily add software in
a method that would make it comparable to what Ubuntu does with
Software Center.

So you're talking about an application that would compare essentially
an infinite array of software to a potentially infinite array of
comparable software...

For a simple example: MS Office could be compared to Open Office,
Libre Office and who knows what else, though those are the two big
ones.

Granted, I'm looking at the deep end of things, but to be honest, who
would be the one to arbitrarily decide in this database that MS Office
will only be compared to OO.o or LibreOffice? Or that MS Picture
Viewer is only comparable to Shotwell when there are MANY different
picture viewers of varying quality and complexity out there that are
in the same general category as MS Picture Viewer would be?

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice idea, but I don't see that it's
realistically achievable, at least as described. Now a tool to
validate hardware only to confirm that a computer is ready for Ubuntu
the OS is a different matter and may be something of use.

Cheers,

Jeff

Old 03-03-2011, 09:25 PM
rikona

Hello Amichai,

Thursday, March 3, 2011, 1:04:13 PM, Amichai wrote:

AR> I'd like to find the fastest way to verify a computer running Windows is
AR> ready to move to Linux. Not hardware-wise only, software-wise to.

AR> I would like to have a Windows app that can run from a USB Stick (without
AR> the need to install it) that will scan the installed hardware and software
AR> and give a table as a result that lists the Windows app on one side and the
AR> parallel Linux app on the other. If no match was found - a link to a site to
AR> report the app to a community database that updates the alternatives, or
AR> something along those lines.

AR> Any app like that exists?

No app that I know of, but some time ago when I was checking out
equivalent apps for a school, I found a web site listing equivalent or
near-equivalent apps. It was a rather complete list covering many
different categories, and was VERY useful. And, no, I don't remember
the site. :-(( Worth a good search, though, if it is still around.

--

rikona

Old 03-03-2011, 09:55 PM
Kent Borg

Amichai Rotman wrote:
I would like to have a Windows app that can run from a USB Stick
(without the need to install it) that will scan the installed hardware
and software and give a table as a result that lists the Windows app
on one side and the parallel Linux app on the other.

Linux and open source software is not so directly substitutable. There
is a *lot* of software (particularly narrowly specialized software) on
MS Windows that has no open source alternative. I know I have seen
lists on the internet that suggest alternatives to specific programs; a
quick Google search comes up with http://linuxappfinder.com/alternatives .

Slight change of subject:

- If you really have to have some software that only runs on MS
Windows, then you either need MS Windows or maybe you can run that same
software on Linux using the compatibility program called "wine". (Or
actually run a real copy of MS Windows in a virtual machine using
Virtualbox, Vmware, kvm, etc.)

- If you are starting from scratch and looking for a general purpose
personal computer, Linux and open source software works great. (But if
you want to do heavy-duty gaming, Linux won't do so well.)

- If you can alter details of how you use some specific MS Windows
software, you might be able to do a near substitution, figure out how to
do without missing features (and learn to enjoy new features).

- If you have some time you might lobby the publisher of your needed MS
Windows programs to release Linux versions.

- Finally, you if you have some time *and* money, you might pool funds
with folks in a similar circumstance, and commission someone to write a
new program to run on Linux that can replace an essential MS Windows
program. This is a scary prospect, but if successful, it might get you
off an expensive upgrade treadmill--but you will also won't get upgrades
unless you figure out how to (probably) pay to get them written, too.
Maybe even make your replacement open source...

-kb

Old 03-03-2011, 10:50 PM
Doug

On 03/03/2011 05:25 PM, rikona wrote:

Hello Amichai,

Thursday, March 3, 2011, 1:04:13 PM, Amichai wrote:

AR> I'd like to find the fastest way to verify a computer running Windows is
AR> ready to move to Linux. Not hardware-wise only, software-wise to.

AR> I would like to have a Windows app that can run from a USB Stick (without
AR> the need to install it) that will scan the installed hardware and software
AR> and give a table as a result that lists the Windows app on one side and the
AR> parallel Linux app on the other. If no match was found - a link to a site to
AR> report the app to a community database that updates the alternatives, or
AR> something along those lines.

AR> Any app like that exists?

No app that I know of, but some time ago when I was checking out
equivalent apps for a school, I found a web site listing equivalent or
near-equivalent apps. It was a rather complete list covering many
different categories, and was VERY useful. And, no, I don't remember
the site. :-(( Worth a good search, though, if it is still around.

As someone else mentioned, the easiest way to find out if the OS
will run is to try one of the live boot disks--almost all the present
Linux distros have them.

As to software, I too have seen the list mentioned, and I don't
remember what it was called, but Google should find it fairly easily.
One thing to bear in mind: Debian and Ubuntu, particularly Debian,
are really gung-ho about not using anything you have to pay for, and
Deb tries to keep you from even using something developed by a
commercial firm, altho I think they've thrown in the towel on
NVidia drivers. If you want a true comparison, you must include
non-free software. Distros like MINT and Zorin are much more
open-minded.

Actually, because of the proselytes in the Linux world, there is
not as much pay-for software as there might otherwise be. At
least, AFAIK. If I have to choose between free or pay, for the
same capability, I'll certainly take free, but if I have to choose
between not very good or non-existent and pay, I'll certainly
pay. (Putting on my asbestos jumper.)

--doug

Old 03-03-2011, 11:17 PM
Ric Moore

On Thu, 2011-03-03 at 14:25 -0800, rikona wrote:
> Hello Amichai,
>
> Thursday, March 3, 2011, 1:04:13 PM, Amichai wrote:
>
> AR> I'd like to find the fastest way to verify a computer running Windows is
> AR> ready to move to Linux. Not hardware-wise only, software-wise to.
>
> AR> I would like to have a Windows app that can run from a USB Stick (without
> AR> the need to install it) that will scan the installed hardware and software
> AR> and give a table as a result that lists the Windows app on one side and the
> AR> parallel Linux app on the other. If no match was found - a link to a site to
> AR> report the app to a community database that updates the alternatives, or
> AR> something along those lines.
>
> AR> Any app like that exists?
>
> No app that I know of, but some time ago when I was checking out
> equivalent apps for a school, I found a web site listing equivalent or
> near-equivalent apps. It was a rather complete list covering many
> different categories, and was VERY useful. And, no, I don't remember
> the site. :-(( Worth a good search, though, if it is still around.

To date, for instance, we still don't have an actual equivalent to MS
Access ...that is a drop-in replacement to handle an existing Access
database, unless you go through the contortions of exporting and
importing into OpenOffice Database. So, yes, we have databases out the
whazoo for Linux, but they are still apples and oranges for the casual
user. In short, not much is pain-free, nor is it ever likely to be, when
dealing with closed-source applications.

The best tool you can use is Google, or some sort of search engine, to
answer your questions as to suitability. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 03-03-2011, 11:27 PM
Ric Moore

On Thu, 2011-03-03 at 18:50 -0500, Doug wrote:

> Actually, because of the proselytes in the Linux world, there is
> not as much pay-for software as there might otherwise be. At
> least, AFAIK. If I have to choose between free or pay, for the
> same capability, I'll certainly take free, but if I have to choose
> between not very good or non-existent and pay, I'll certainly
> pay. (Putting on my asbestos jumper.)

That was the Ray Noorda answer, back when he created Caldera. We had
licensed software included, where there was no equivalent free solution.
And we paid a hundred or so bucks for an install CD, when Red Hat "Boxed
Edition" was $29. The trick was to make Linux ready for "Enterprise" and
the other incentive was to book MS in the hindside while doing so. Now,
Netscape has begat Mozilla (towards open-source), Apache got much more
user friendly, Wine really got busy when Wabi would boot Windows3.1
directly in your Linux session, and graphical front-ends to things like
the install process have become standard. I can usually meet all of my
needs without straying very far from the repos. One thing is for sure,
Linux is all about patience! Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 03-03-2011, 11:35 PM
MR ZenWiz

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 4:17 PM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
:

> To date, for instance, we still don't have an actual equivalent to MS
> Access ...that is a drop-in replacement to handle an existing Access
> database, unless you go through the contortions of exporting and
> importing into OpenOffice Database.

Well, we *are* talking about Access here, right? Do we *really* want
a drop-in replacement for something that ghastly?

Just sayin'....

:-)

Old 03-03-2011, 11:54 PM
Ric Moore

On Thu, 2011-03-03 at 16:35 -0800, MR ZenWiz wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 4:17 PM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
> :
> >
> > To date, for instance, we still don't have an actual equivalent to MS
> > Access ...that is a drop-in replacement to handle an existing Access
> > database, unless you go through the contortions of exporting and
> > importing into OpenOffice Database.
>
> Well, we *are* talking about Access here, right? Do we *really* want
> a drop-in replacement for something that ghastly?
>
> Just sayin'....

I hear ya! I just get files to deal with, from our Windows addicted
staff members, and I'm still in stealth mode to convert them and their
pet data projects over to Linux. Ole Arlo was right, what we got here is
a "movement", ...towards the "Right Thing". It ain't, by any stretch, a
"Fait accompli". Ric

Linux user# 44256