Old 03-04-2011, 04:24 AM
Niki Kovacs

Default A Moving to Linux Question

Le 03/03/2011 22:04, Amichai Rotman a écrit :

I would like to have a Windows app that can run from a USB Stick
(without the need to install it) that will scan the installed hardware
and software and give a table as a result that lists the Windows app on
one side and the parallel Linux app on the other. If no match was found
- a link to a site to report the app to a community database that
updates the alternatives, or something along those lines.

Any app like that exists?

Yes.

$ whoami

)

Old 03-04-2011, 09:33 PM
James

Hi Ric

<wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > To date, for instance, we still don't have an actual equivalent to
MS
> > > Access ...that is a drop-in replacement to handle an existing
Access
> > > database, unless you go through the contortions of exporting
and
> > > importing into OpenOffice Database.
> >
> > Well, we *are* talking about Access here, right? Do we *really*
want
> > a drop-in replacement for something that ghastly?
> >
> > Just sayin'....
>
> I hear ya! I just get files to deal with, from our Windows addicted
> staff members, and I'm still in stealth mode to convert them and
theiropen office
> pet data projects over to Linux. Ole Arlo was right, what we got here
is
> a "movement", ...towards the "Right Thing". It ain't, by any stretch,
> "Fait accompli". Ric

Out of curioustity I decided to look thru synaptic and came across
mdbtools-gmdb. Might that be functional? As I have no need of it I've
never tried it but maybe worth a shot?

James

Old 03-05-2011, 02:08 AM
"M.R."