-   -   NIC device names changed (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/496855-nic-device-names-changed.html)

stan 03-03-2011 07:51 PM

NIC device names changed

I had a hardware failure, and as a result the motherboard (which hs built
in NIC's) was changed on one of my 10.04 machines. Now the devices whic
were eth0, and eth1 are showing up as sth2 and eth3.

How can I fix this, short of reconfiguring all my networking? And is there
a way to prevent this (truly ugly) behavior in the future?

Thanks.

I had a hardware failure, and as a result the motherboard (which hs built
in NIC's) was changed on one of my 10.04 machines. Now the devices whic
were eth0, and eth1 are showing up as sth2 and eth3.

How can I fix this, short of reconfiguring all my networking? And is there
a way to prevent this (truly ugly) behavior in the future?

Thanks.

The behaviour is by design, and not as ugly as you probably think right
now. And it's easy to fix. The NIC's are saved in:
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

You can edit that file to your liking (move the entry for eth0, since
that hardware is no longer there, and change eth3 to eth0) or you can
simply delete the file and reboot (a new file will be created with the
infor for your current hardware)

This mechanism actually exists to *prevent* your interfaces from
changing names when new networking devices are added, removed, etc.

Rashkae 03-04-2011 01:36 PM

NIC device names changed

[...]

Thaks for the help. Your advice should let me recoer from this mess.
However, if possile I would still like to be able to permanantely disbale
this functtionality on every UUbuntu machine that I am responsible for.

Is ther a mechanisim for doing this?

I don't think you understand what you are asking for... if you disable
the persistent-net rules, your network devices can change seemingly at
random any time (kernel updates, bios changes, usb network device
plugged in when you boot, etc.) I'm sure it can be disabled very
easily, though I don't know how myself at the top of my head. Not
something I would even bother trying myself.