FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-03-2011, 11:03 AM
Abhishek Dixit
 
Default what can mid night commander do

I came across a Ubuntu package known as mid night commander.

It looks funny but I am not able to understand what can it do?

--
Regards
Abhi

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-03-2011, 11:13 AM
Tony Pursell
 
Default what can mid night commander do

On Thu, 2011-03-03 at 17:33 +0530, Abhishek Dixit wrote:
> I came across a Ubuntu package known as mid night commander.
>
> It looks funny but I am not able to understand what can it do?
>
> --
> Regards
> Abhi
>

I googled Midnight Commander and came up with this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_Commander

There were other search results as well

Tony




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-03-2011, 11:27 AM
"Joep L. Blom"
 
Default what can mid night commander do

On 03/03/11 13:13, Tony Pursell wrote:

On Thu, 2011-03-03 at 17:33 +0530, Abhishek Dixit wrote:

I came across a Ubuntu package known as mid night commander.

It looks funny but I am not able to understand what can it do?

--
Regards
Abhi



I googled Midnight Commander and came up with this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_Commander

There were other search results as well

Tony




It's the linux version of the old Norton Commander we all used in the
DOS era.

Joep


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-03-2011, 04:03 PM
Abhishek Dixit
 
Default what can mid night commander do

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 5:57 PM, Joep L. Blom <jlblom@neuroweave.nl> wrote:
> On 03/03/11 13:13, Tony Pursell wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 2011-03-03 at 17:33 +0530, Abhishek Dixit wrote:
>>>
>>> I came across a Ubuntu package known as mid night commander.
>>>
>>> It looks funny but I am not able to understand what can it do?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards
>>> Abhi
>>>
>>
>> I googled Midnight Commander and came up with this
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_Commander
>>
>> There were other search results as well
>>
>> Tony
>>
>>
>>
>>
> It's the linux version of the old Norton Commander we all used in the DOS
> era.
Can it do an sftp ?

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-04-2011, 05:20 AM
Ric Moore
 
Default what can mid night commander do

On Thu, 2011-03-03 at 22:33 +0530, Abhishek Dixit wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 5:57 PM, Joep L. Blom <jlblom@neuroweave.nl> wrote:
> > On 03/03/11 13:13, Tony Pursell wrote:
> >>
> >> On Thu, 2011-03-03 at 17:33 +0530, Abhishek Dixit wrote:
> >>>
> >>> I came across a Ubuntu package known as mid night commander.
> >>>
> >>> It looks funny but I am not able to understand what can it do?
> >>>
> >>> --
> >>> Regards
> >>> Abhi
> >>>
> >>
> >> I googled Midnight Commander and came up with this
> >>
> >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_Commander
> >>
> >> There were other search results as well
> >>
> >> Tony
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> > It's the linux version of the old Norton Commander we all used in the DOS
> > era.
> Can it do an sftp ?

type "man mc" in a terminal window. If you hit the "/" key and enter
"sftp" behind it, (without the quotes) you will get an immediate answer
to the find query. Ric


--
My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say:
"There are two Great Sins in the world...
..the Sin of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity.
Only the former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad.
Linux user# 44256



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-04-2011, 02:55 PM
Abhishek Dixit
 
Default what can mid night commander do

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 11:50 AM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-03-03 at 22:33 +0530, Abhishek Dixit wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 5:57 PM, Joep L. Blom <jlblom@neuroweave.nl> wrote:
>> > On 03/03/11 13:13, Tony Pursell wrote:
>> >>
>> >> On Thu, 2011-03-03 at 17:33 +0530, Abhishek Dixit wrote:
>> >>>
>> >>> I came across a Ubuntu package known as mid night commander.
>> >>>
>> >>> It looks funny but I am not able to understand what can it do?
>> >>>
>> >>> --
>> >>> Regards
>> >>> Abhi
>> >>>
>> >>
>> >> I googled Midnight Commander and came up with this
>> >>
>> >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_Commander
>> >>
>> >> There were other search results as well
>> >>
>> >> Tony
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>
>> > It's the linux version of the old Norton Commander we all used in the DOS
>> > era.
>> Can it do an sftp ?
>
> type "man mc" in a terminal window. *If you hit the "/" key and enter
> "sftp" behind it, (without the quotes) you will get an immediate answer
> to the find query. *Ric
>
>
Well I tried using and from most of the wiki etc I understand it
basically is used to see the package file contents.i.e. deb or rpm
file contents and copy paste.So why is it actually existing is it any
where used can't that be done by tar or any such utility?

--
Regards
Abhi

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-04-2011, 03:41 PM
 
Default what can mid night commander do

good old 'mc' can do a lot of intristing things

here is an old Linux gazette article about it from 1997
http://linuxgazette.net/23/wkndmech_dec97/mc_article.html--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-05-2011, 02:49 AM
Ric Moore
 
Default what can mid night commander do

On Fri, 2011-03-04 at 21:25 +0530, Abhishek Dixit wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 11:50 AM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2011-03-03 at 22:33 +0530, Abhishek Dixit wrote:
> >> On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 5:57 PM, Joep L. Blom <jlblom@neuroweave.nl> wrote:
> >> > On 03/03/11 13:13, Tony Pursell wrote:
> >> >>
> >> >> On Thu, 2011-03-03 at 17:33 +0530, Abhishek Dixit wrote:
> >> >>>
> >> >>> I came across a Ubuntu package known as mid night commander.
> >> >>>
> >> >>> It looks funny but I am not able to understand what can it do?
> >> >>>
> >> >>> --
> >> >>> Regards
> >> >>> Abhi
> >> >>>
> >> >>
> >> >> I googled Midnight Commander and came up with this
> >> >>
> >> >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_Commander
> >> >>
> >> >> There were other search results as well
> >> >>
> >> >> Tony
> >> >>
> >> >>
> >> >>
> >> >>
> >> > It's the linux version of the old Norton Commander we all used in the DOS
> >> > era.
> >> Can it do an sftp ?
> >
> > type "man mc" in a terminal window. If you hit the "/" key and enter
> > "sftp" behind it, (without the quotes) you will get an immediate answer
> > to the find query. Ric
> >
> >
> Well I tried using and from most of the wiki etc I understand it
> basically is used to see the package file contents.i.e. deb or rpm
> file contents and copy paste.So why is it actually existing is it any
> where used can't that be done by tar or any such utility?

It's kinda like having a favorite shovel. When you need it, it's
there ...and it always works. Ric


--
My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say:
"There are two Great Sins in the world...
..the Sin of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity.
Only the former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad.
Linux user# 44256


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:59 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org