FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-03-2011, 01:49 AM
Frank McCormick
 
Default New kernel won't boot

Upgraded Maverick tonight...among the pieces upgraded was
the kernel. Attempting to boot with it leaves me at the
CLI logon prompt on tty 8. Switching to tty 7 shows the
boot process apparently never completed with the last
line being a microcode update.

Anyone else experiencing these sort of problems.

I am back on 2.6.35-27-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Tue Feb 22 20:25:29 UTC
2011



Frank McCormick <beacon@videotron.ca>

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-03-2011, 02:08 AM
NoOp
 
Default New kernel won't boot

On 03/02/2011 06:49 PM, Frank McCormick wrote:
>
>
> Upgraded Maverick tonight...among the pieces upgraded was
> the kernel. Attempting to boot with it leaves me at the
> CLI logon prompt on tty 8. Switching to tty 7 shows the
> boot process apparently never completed with the last
> line being a microcode update.
>
> Anyone else experiencing these sort of problems.
>
> I am back on 2.6.35-27-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Tue Feb 22 20:25:29 UTC
> 2011

If you mean the kernel from the 'Proposed' repository;

working for me (both 32bit and 64bit):
$ uname -a
2.6.35-28-generic #49-Ubuntu SMP Tue Mar 1 14:40:58 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux

$ uname -a
Linux gg-laptop 2.6.35-28-generic #49-Ubuntu SMP Tue Mar 1 14:39:03 UTC
2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Perhaps you can provide a little more detail?


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-03-2011, 02:24 AM
Frank McCormick
 
Default New kernel won't boot

On Wed, 02 Mar 2011 19:08:00 -0800
NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On 03/02/2011 06:49 PM, Frank McCormick wrote:
> >
> >
> > Upgraded Maverick tonight...among the pieces upgraded was
> > the kernel. Attempting to boot with it leaves me at the
> > CLI logon prompt on tty 8. Switching to tty 7 shows the
> > boot process apparently never completed with the last
> > line being a microcode update.
> >
> > Anyone else experiencing these sort of problems.
> >
> > I am back on 2.6.35-27-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Tue Feb 22 20:25:29 UTC
> > 2011
>
> If you mean the kernel from the 'Proposed' repository;
>
> working for me (both 32bit and 64bit):
> $ uname -a
> 2.6.35-28-generic #49-Ubuntu SMP Tue Mar 1 14:40:58 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux
>
> $ uname -a
> Linux gg-laptop 2.6.35-28-generic #49-Ubuntu SMP Tue Mar 1 14:39:03 UTC
> 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> Perhaps you can provide a little more detail?
>

No need..I don't think.

This from syslog sent me to the X log...where I saw X tried but failed to
load the nvidia driver. New Kernel....new nvidia driver needed

Sorry for the noise.

Mar 2 21:37:34 frank-desktop gdm-binary[908]: WARNING: GdmDisplay: display lasted 0.156916 seconds
Mar 2 21:37:34 frank-desktop init: apport pre-start process (1102) terminated with status 1
Mar 2 21:37:34 frank-desktop cron[1107]: (CRON) INFO (pidfile fd = 3)
Mar 2 21:37:34 frank-desktop anacron[1116]: Anacron 2.3 started on 2011-03-02
Mar 2 21:37:34 frank-desktop cron[1118]: (CRON) STARTUP (fork ok)
Mar 2 21:37:34 frank-desktop cron[1118]: (CRON) INFO (Running @reboot jobs)
Mar 2 21:37:34 frank-desktop acpid: starting up with proc fs
Mar 2 21:37:34 frank-desktop init: apport post-stop process (1121) terminated with status 1
Mar 2 21:37:34 frank-desktop acpid: 36 rules loaded
Mar 2 21:37:34 frank-desktop acpid: waiting for events: event logging is off
Mar 2 21:37:34 frank-desktop anacron[1116]: Normal exit (0 jobs run)
Mar 2 21:37:34 frank-desktop gdm-binary[908]: WARNING: GdmDisplay: display lasted 0.210491 seconds
Mar 2 21:37:34 frank-desktop gdm-binary[908]: WARNING: GdmLocalDisplayFactory: maximum number of X display failures reached: check X server log for errors

--
Frank McCormick <fmccormick@videotron.ca>

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-03-2011, 02:41 AM
NoOp
 
Default New kernel won't boot

On 03/02/2011 07:24 PM, Frank McCormick wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Mar 2011 19:08:00 -0800
> NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> On 03/02/2011 06:49 PM, Frank McCormick wrote:
>> >
>> >
>> > Upgraded Maverick tonight...among the pieces upgraded was
>> > the kernel. Attempting to boot with it leaves me at the
>> > CLI logon prompt on tty 8. Switching to tty 7 shows the
>> > boot process apparently never completed with the last
>> > line being a microcode update.
>> >
>> > Anyone else experiencing these sort of problems.
>> >
>> > I am back on 2.6.35-27-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Tue Feb 22 20:25:29 UTC
>> > 2011
>>
>> If you mean the kernel from the 'Proposed' repository;
>>
>> working for me (both 32bit and 64bit):
>> $ uname -a
>> 2.6.35-28-generic #49-Ubuntu SMP Tue Mar 1 14:40:58 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux
>>
>> $ uname -a
>> Linux gg-laptop 2.6.35-28-generic #49-Ubuntu SMP Tue Mar 1 14:39:03 UTC
>> 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>>
>> Perhaps you can provide a little more detail?
>>
>
> No need..I don't think.

So, *specifically* which kernel are you having problems with?


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-03-2011, 03:06 AM
Frank McCormick
 
Default New kernel won't boot

On Wed, 02 Mar 2011 19:41:19 -0800
NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On 03/02/2011 07:24 PM, Frank McCormick wrote:
> > On Wed, 02 Mar 2011 19:08:00 -0800
> > NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> >
> >> On 03/02/2011 06:49 PM, Frank McCormick wrote:
> >> >
> >> >
> >> > Upgraded Maverick tonight...among the pieces upgraded was
> >> > the kernel. Attempting to boot with it leaves me at the
> >> > CLI logon prompt on tty 8. Switching to tty 7 shows the
> >> > boot process apparently never completed with the last
> >> > line being a microcode update.
> >> >
> >> > Anyone else experiencing these sort of problems.
> >> >
> >> > I am back on 2.6.35-27-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Tue Feb 22 20:25:29 UTC
> >> > 2011
> >>
> >> If you mean the kernel from the 'Proposed' repository;
> >>
> >> working for me (both 32bit and 64bit):
> >> $ uname -a
> >> 2.6.35-28-generic #49-Ubuntu SMP Tue Mar 1 14:40:58 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux
> >>
> >> $ uname -a
> >> Linux gg-laptop 2.6.35-28-generic #49-Ubuntu SMP Tue Mar 1 14:39:03 UTC
> >> 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> >>
> >> Perhaps you can provide a little more detail?
> >>
> >
> > No need..I don't think.
>
> So, *specifically* which kernel are you having problems with?

2.6.35-28-generic #49-Ubuntu SMP Tue Mar 1 14:40:58 UTC 2011

I have switched back to the "nouveau" driver for now...until
I feel like tackling recompiling the new module. Besides I
don't really need 3d accel.
--
Frank McCormick <fmccormick@videotron.ca>

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-03-2011, 03:40 AM
MR ZenWiz
 
Default New kernel won't boot

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 8:06 PM, Frank McCormick <fmccormick@videotron.ca> wrote:
:
>
> 2.6.35-28-generic #49-Ubuntu SMP Tue Mar 1 14:40:58 UTC 2011
>
> I have switched back to the "nouveau" driver for now...until
> I feel like tackling recompiling the new module. Besides I
> don't really need 3d accel.

This is an ongoing issue with the NVidia proprietary driver - you have
to rebuild it every time you boot.

In theory, it should be possible to write a startup script that checks
to see if there is a driver present and build it on the fly before X
comes up, but my first experiment at that failed miserably (did
nothing). I haven't revisited it since it happens infrequently
enough. If there was a working dkms version that would be nice, too.
In the mean time, when it comes up to the command prompt and there's
not X login screen, that's enough to jog my memory. It's a simple,
relatively short process....

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-03-2011, 10:00 AM
Alan Pope
 
Default New kernel won't boot

On 3 March 2011 04:06, Frank McCormick <fmccormick@videotron.ca> wrote:
> I have switched back to the "nouveau" driver for now...until
> I feel like tackling recompiling the new module. Besides I
> don't really need 3d accel.

nouveau supports 3d accelerated desktops. Install the
libgl1-mesa-dri-experimental package and you should find Compiz etc
should work. I've even managed to play 3D games with it.

Cheers,
Al.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-03-2011, 10:02 AM
Alan Pope
 
Default New kernel won't boot

On 3 March 2011 04:40, MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is an ongoing issue with the NVidia proprietary driver - you have
> to rebuild it every time you boot.
>

I haven't recompiled an nVidia driver module for a good couple of years.

> In theory, it should be possible to write a startup script that checks

Already done. DKMS. Install it and it takes care of updating the
nvidia kernel module before x starts.

Al.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-03-2011, 02:17 PM
Frank McCormick
 
Default New kernel won't boot

On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 11:02:35 +0000
Alan Pope <popey@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On 3 March 2011 04:40, MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz@gmail.com> wrote:
> > This is an ongoing issue with the NVidia proprietary driver - you have
> > to rebuild it every time you boot.
> >
>
> I haven't recompiled an nVidia driver module for a good couple of years.
>
> > In theory, it should be possible to write a startup script that checks
>
> Already done. DKMS. Install it and it takes care of updating the
> nvidia kernel module before x starts.



I took your advice and installed it - it complained that the kernel
source wasn't installed. Does anyone know the proper name for the
source for the current kernel ? And how do I get DKMS to re-run after
it is installed ?


--
Cheers

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-03-2011, 02:33 PM
Nils Kassube
 
Default New kernel won't boot

Frank McCormick wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 11:02:35 +0000
> Alan Pope <popey@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > On 3 March 2011 04:40, MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > This is an ongoing issue with the NVidia proprietary driver - you
> > > have to rebuild it every time you boot.
> >
> > I haven't recompiled an nVidia driver module for a good couple of
> > years.
> >
> > > In theory, it should be possible to write a startup script that
> > > checks
> >
> > Already done. DKMS. Install it and it takes care of updating the
> > nvidia kernel module before x starts.
>
> I took your advice and installed it - it complained that the
> kernel source wasn't installed. Does anyone know the proper name for
> the source for the current kernel ? And how do I get DKMS to re-run
> after it is installed ?

I think you need the appropriate linux-headers package. Try this command

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)

in a terminal.


Nils

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:15 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org