Old 02-07-2008, 03:12 PM
andy baxter

Default How to instruct a computer to download software packages from a list generated by another computer?

Christopher Copeland wrote:
> On 7 Feb 2008, at 09:29, Bas Roufs wrote:
>

>> Via a shell console I tried another option advised by the same long
>> time Linux user has been using in Debian:
>> sudo dpkg --get-selections > installierte-pakete
>> "Installierte Pakete" is German for 'installed software packages'. In
>> this way, I generated a text file containing instructions to install
>> the
>> software packages installed at my desktop. I copied this file to my
>> USB
>> stick and from there to the home directory of my laptop. At the
>> laptop I
>> opened another shell console and gave in the following instruction:
>> sudo dpkg --set-selections < installierte-pakete
>> No error or mistake has been mentioned after this command. However,
>> not
>> any single software package has been installed because of this
>> instruction.
>>

> Well no surprise there, that command doesn't install anything.. just
> selects the packages that would be installed.
>
> I've never used Synaptic to achieve what you are trying to do so I
> won't comment on that. You were quite close to success via the command
> line. The "long time linux users" sent you in the right direction but
> perhaps left out the crucial last step. (or you just ignored it) See:
>
> http://www.arsgeek.com/?p=564
>
> That should do it.

The other way is instead of using dselect to actually install the
packages, you can use apt-get, as follows:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dselect-upgrade

(run these after doing the dpkg --get selections<file)

The only problem with this approach, is it forgets (I think) which
packages were installed manually, and which were installed automatically
as a consequence of installing other packages. Does anyone know of a way
to do the same thing but preserve this information??

andy.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:25 PM
andy baxter

andy baxter wrote:
> Christopher Copeland wrote:
>
>> On 7 Feb 2008, at 09:29, Bas Roufs wrote:
>>

>>> Via a shell console I tried another option advised by the same long
>>> time Linux user has been using in Debian:
>>> sudo dpkg --get-selections > installierte-pakete
>>> "Installierte Pakete" is German for 'installed software packages'. In
>>> this way, I generated a text file containing instructions to install
>>> the
>>> software packages installed at my desktop. I copied this file to my
>>> USB
>>> stick and from there to the home directory of my laptop. At the
>>> laptop I
>>> opened another shell console and gave in the following instruction:
>>> sudo dpkg --set-selections < installierte-pakete
>>> No error or mistake has been mentioned after this command. However,
>>> not
>>> any single software package has been installed because of this
>>> instruction.
>>>

>> Well no surprise there, that command doesn't install anything.. just
>> selects the packages that would be installed.
>>
>> I've never used Synaptic to achieve what you are trying to do so I
>> won't comment on that. You were quite close to success via the command
>> line. The "long time linux users" sent you in the right direction but
>> perhaps left out the crucial last step. (or you just ignored it) See:
>>
>> http://www.arsgeek.com/?p=564
>>
>> That should do it.
>>

> The other way is instead of using dselect to actually install the
> packages, you can use apt-get, as follows:
>
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get dselect-upgrade
>
> (run these after doing the dpkg --get selections<file)
>
> The only problem with this approach, is it forgets (I think) which
> packages were installed manually, and which were installed automatically
> as a consequence of installing other packages. Does anyone know of a way
> to do the same thing but preserve this information??

P.S. when I say 'this approach' I mean using dpkg --set/get-selections.
It doesn't make any difference whether you use apt-get or dselect to
install the packages because the information has already been lost by then.