Old 02-07-2008, 02:54 PM
Christopher Copeland

Default How to instruct a computer to download software packages from a list generated by another computer?

On 7 Feb 2008, at 09:29, Bas Roufs wrote:

> Via a shell console I tried another option advised by the same long
> time Linux user has been using in Debian:
> sudo dpkg --get-selections > installierte-pakete
> "Installierte Pakete" is German for 'installed software packages'. In
> this way, I generated a text file containing instructions to install
> the
> software packages installed at my desktop. I copied this file to my
> USB
> stick and from there to the home directory of my laptop. At the
> laptop I
> opened another shell console and gave in the following instruction:
> sudo dpkg --set-selections < installierte-pakete
> No error or mistake has been mentioned after this command. However,
> not
> any single software package has been installed because of this
> instruction.

Well no surprise there, that command doesn't install anything.. just
selects the packages that would be installed.

I've never used Synaptic to achieve what you are trying to do so I
won't comment on that. You were quite close to success via the command
line. The "long time linux users" sent you in the right direction but
perhaps left out the crucial last step. (or you just ignored it) See:

http://www.arsgeek.com/?p=564

That should do it.
--
Christopher Copeland