Old 03-01-2011, 07:07 PM
MR ZenWiz

Default how to create a 32 bit PV Lucid guest on pv-ops Dom0 on Lucid 10.04 64 bit

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 11:25 AM, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 7:43 PM, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am running Xen-4.0.1 on Lucid 64 bit using a pv-ops Dom0 kernel 2.6.32.27
>> from jeremy's tree

Given the lack of response here, you might want to consider posting
issues/questions like this on a more xen-oriented email list. You're
getting into fairly detailed, specific areas that fall farther away
from general use and general Ubuntu expertise than most.

Just a thought, most definitely not a criticism.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:37 AM
Tapas Mishra

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 1:37 AM, MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 11:25 AM, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 7:43 PM, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I am running Xen-4.0.1 on Lucid 64 bit using a pv-ops Dom0 kernel 2.6.32.27
>>> from jeremy's tree
>
> Given the lack of response here, you might want to consider posting
> issues/questions like this on a more xen-oriented email list. *You're
> getting into fairly detailed, specific areas that fall farther away
> from general use and general Ubuntu expertise than most.
>
> Just a thought, most definitely not a criticism.

I understand your point.What I asked is very simple if some one has
used a VirtualBox or any other virtualization software they would have
created guest Operating Systems.Which can be fully virtualized or para
virtualized depending upon hardware being VT or non VT.

In this case I just did the same but using Xen and creation of guest
(i.e. installation of 32 bit guest) failed.
So only this is what I want to know if installing guest operating
system fails on a hypervisor (not bare metal) then if there is some
way I can proceed (debug) it.

Does Ubuntu have a Xen oriented list?
I checked this page
https://lists.ubuntu.com/
but I did not found any virtualization type of Ubuntu list.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:17 AM
MR ZenWiz

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 9:37 PM, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:

> I understand your point.What I asked *is very simple if some one has
> used a VirtualBox or any other virtualization software they would have
> created guest Operating Systems.Which can be fully virtualized or para
> virtualized depending upon hardware being VT or non VT.
>
> In this case I just did the same but using Xen and creation of guest
> (i.e. installation of 32 bit guest) failed.
> So only this is what I want to know if installing guest operating
> system fails on a hypervisor (not bare metal) then if there is some
> way I can proceed (debug) it.

Ah, I didn't get that from your post - must have been tired.

I'd say that depends on your choice of hypervisor. VB and VMWare both
have fairly limited means to debug a faulty installation. When I
installed my VB Windows guest, I had to play with the controls to get
them right for a boot to work. Then, when I installed a CentOS guest,
I had opposite problems (IIRC, ACPI had to be off for Windows, which
VB already knew and said so, and on for CentOS, which I found using
Google - see? I take my own advice...sometimes. :-).

> Does Ubuntu have a Xen oriented list?
> I checked this page
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/
> but I did not found any virtualization type of Ubuntu list.

Xen is not exclusively Ubuntu, but as I said, expertise here seems to
vary wildly. When I was using CentOS, there were a fair number of
xen-knowledgeable people on that list, though I haven't seen much
about it recently. You could try there - they are somewhat tolerant
of "other OS" questions if there is any applicability in CentOS, but
they tend to get more mature questions, too. Of course, CentOS is
still on the 2.6.18 kernel (until 6.0 comes out, and that's running
about 6 months late), so YMMV. You can also try the Fedora and Debian
lists - they may know more about current xen efforts.