Old 03-01-2011, 05:15 PM
Bill Moseley

Default Recent netbooks with Solid State Drives?

I'm about to spend months traveling and looking for a netbook/laptop to use for Google Apps, uploading photos, minor photo editing (e.g. reduce photo size before sending over slow link), and pretty good on batteries and light weight.

There's a good list here: *https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport/Machines/Netbooks
That's a long list to work through, so does anyone here have recent experience with any of those listed that can share their opinions?

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org

Old 03-01-2011, 05:41 PM

I've used Ubuntu since Karmic on my Lenovo S10 and haven't seen any
issues (at least none that really prevented me from using the netbook
for it's intended purpose).

One thing to keep in mind, though is that the SSD drives may or may
not have the same performance as SATA. Most of the new SSD drives are
as good or better, I believe, but there may be some netbooks still
shipping with older or cheaper SSDs that don't have the performance.
I have one such drive that is horribly slow and I've seen similar
performance on the older EeePCs that had the little drives.

Also, the super cheap ones that have the 8GB drives (or smaller) could
make installing difficult, by the time you account for swap space and
filesystem overhead, you could end up with more like 5GB storage space
for the OS itself.

My next planned netbook will probably be the Lenovo S-10-3T which has
a touch screen that swivels to turn the machine into a tablet. I'm
just waiting on someone to verify that multi-touch in Natty works on
it before I spend the money.

Cheers,

Jeff

Old 03-01-2011, 06:38 PM