Old 03-01-2011, 08:52 AM
Niki Kovacs

Default Completely remove graphical package management interfaces?

Hi,

I'm planning to install some Ubuntu 10.04 desktops in a SOHO
environment. One of the things I usually do is uninstall strictly
everything that's not needed by users.

Since my users are not supposed to install or remove software on the
desktops, I thought I might as well remove every graphical frontend to
that, e. g. Synaptic, the Software Center, the Update Manager and the
likes. Installs and upgrades will only be performed by me, using
dpkg/apt-get via ssh.

Can anyone of you more familiar than me with these more or less
redundant interfaces give me a complete list of packages to uninstall in
that case?

Thanks,

Niki

Old 03-01-2011, 08:58 AM
"A. Kromic"

On 01/03/11 10:52, Niki Kovacs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm planning to install some Ubuntu 10.04 desktops in a SOHO
> environment. One of the things I usually do is uninstall strictly
> everything that's not needed by users.
>
> Since my users are not supposed to install or remove software on the
> desktops, I thought I might as well remove every graphical frontend to
> that, e. g. Synaptic, the Software Center, the Update Manager and the
> likes. Installs and upgrades will only be performed by me, using
> dpkg/apt-get via ssh.
>
> Can anyone of you more familiar than me with these more or less
> redundant interfaces give me a complete list of packages to uninstall
> in that case?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Niki

You might remove synaptic and software-center packages, and Update
Manager will be removed automatically too. It will however remove
several other packages, most notably the ubuntu-desktop metapackage, so
check if you really want that...

--
A.Kromic

Old 03-01-2011, 09:00 AM
"A. Kromic"

On 01/03/11 10:52, Niki Kovacs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm planning to install some Ubuntu 10.04 desktops in a SOHO
> environment. One of the things I usually do is uninstall strictly
> everything that's not needed by users.
>
> Since my users are not supposed to install or remove software on the
> desktops, I thought I might as well remove every graphical frontend to
> that, e. g. Synaptic, the Software Center, the Update Manager and the
> likes. Installs and upgrades will only be performed by me, using
> dpkg/apt-get via ssh.
>
> Can anyone of you more familiar than me with these more or less
> redundant interfaces give me a complete list of packages to uninstall
> in that case?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Niki

I forgot to suggest a possibly better solution - simply disallow your
users to install software, something that's even the default for new
users you add.

--
A.Kromic

Old 03-01-2011, 09:14 AM