Old 02-07-2008, 01:50 PM
Aart Koelewijn

Default Getting Skype webcam working

On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 09:15:31 -0500, Bart Silverstrim wrote:

> Colin Brace wrote:
>> Unplug the webcam. Run $ dmesg | tail. Plug in the webcam. Run $ dmesg
>> again. What is the output?
>>
>> If dmesg indicates only a new USB device and nothing more, then your
>> webcam isn't recognized by any of the standard kernel modules.
>
> My webcam (also a Logitech) creates a device at /dev/video0 when it's
> plugged in, but the default permissions only allow Root to access it. I
> usually just quickly run sudo chmod 777 /dev/video0 so my normal user
> login can get to it, otherwise I have to sudo <application> to have
> video open properly.

My webcam, a Logitech QuickCam EC (according to Skype) just worked in
Skype after I plugged it in. Skype is also 2.0.0.27.

Aart

Old 02-07-2008, 02:45 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Karl Larsen wrote:
> Bart Silverstrim wrote:
>> Colin Brace wrote:
>>
>>> Unplug the webcam. Run $ dmesg | tail. Plug in the webcam. Run $ dmesg
>>> again. What is the output?
>>>
>>> If dmesg indicates only a new USB device and nothing more, then your
>>> webcam isn't recognized by any of the standard kernel modules.
>>>
>> My webcam (also a Logitech) creates a device at /dev/video0 when it's
>> plugged in, but the default permissions only allow Root to access it. I
>> usually just quickly run sudo chmod 777 /dev/video0 so my normal user
>> login can get to it, otherwise I have to sudo <application> to have
>> video open properly.
>>

> My system has no /dev/video* so it appears my camera does not get
> that far. Can you find the model of your logitek webcam?

lsusb lists it on my system at the moment as
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 046d:08d7 Logitech, Inc

There's no model number on the device itself, just a black and silver
ball-shaped webcam with Logitech on the top, a sliding shutter, and
around the lens is written "RightLight Technology" and "RightSound
Technology". I think it's one of their older models but you can find
them at Amazon.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:53 PM
Karl Larsen

Colin Brace wrote:
> In my case dmsg output looks like this:
>
> [...]
> [17393.656000] usb 5-5: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3
> [17394.084000] usb 5-5: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
> [17394.272000] Linux video capture interface: v2.00
> [17394.296000] uvcvideo: Found UVC 1.00 device Live! Cam Optia (041e:4057)
> [17394.556000] usbcore: registered new interface driver uvcvideo
> [17394.556000] USB Video Class driver (v0.1.0)
>
> Since your webcam isn't recognized, you have basically two choices:
>
> 1) buy one that is supported;
>
> 2) wait unti support for your model is added.

Thanks Colin. I think you are exactly right. Where can I find a list of
supported webcams?

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 02-07-2008, 02:56 PM
Karl Larsen

Aart Koelewijn wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 09:15:31 -0500, Bart Silverstrim wrote:
>

>> Colin Brace wrote:
>>
>>> Unplug the webcam. Run $ dmesg | tail. Plug in the webcam. Run $ dmesg
>>> again. What is the output?
>>>
>>> If dmesg indicates only a new USB device and nothing more, then your
>>> webcam isn't recognized by any of the standard kernel modules.
>>>
>> My webcam (also a Logitech) creates a device at /dev/video0 when it's
>> plugged in, but the default permissions only allow Root to access it. I
>> usually just quickly run sudo chmod 777 /dev/video0 so my normal user
>> login can get to it, otherwise I have to sudo <application> to have
>> video open properly.
>>

> My webcam, a Logitech QuickCam EC (according to Skype) just worked in
> Skype after I plugged it in. Skype is also 2.0.0.27.
>
> Aart

Thanks Aart. I will check my cheap web page and see if they list
that version. I am now certain it is a camera problem here.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 02-07-2008, 04:29 PM
"Colin Brace"

On Feb 7, 2008 4:53 PM, Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:

> Where can I find a list of supported webcams?

Karl, to the best of my knowledge, webcams are supported in basically
two different ways under Linux:

1) the GSPCA/SPCA5xxSPCA5 driver;

2) the Linux-uvcvideo driver.

I believe that both are now included in the Ubuntu 7.10 kernel. The
gspca driver is probably further developed; the uvcvideo is somewhat
more universal. In theory any webcam compatible with driverless USB
Video Class webcam standard should work under Linux. For a list of
webcams supported by gscpa, see the compatability charts here:

<http://mxhaard.free.fr/>

However I strongly recommend searching the ubuntuforums to find out
exactly which models people have had sucess with:

<http://ubuntuforums.org/search.php?query=webcam>

For my part, I am pleased with the Creative Live! Optia:

<http://nl.europe.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=218&subcategory=219&product=1 5985>

This webcam is supported by the uvcvideo driver.

--
Colin Brace
Amsterdam

Old 02-07-2008, 04:59 PM
Derek Broughton

Bart Silverstrim wrote:

> Colin Brace wrote:
>> Unplug the webcam. Run $ dmesg | tail. Plug in the webcam. Run $ dmesg
>> again. What is the output?
>>
>> If dmesg indicates only a new USB device and nothing more, then your
>> webcam isn't recognized by any of the standard kernel modules.
>
> My webcam (also a Logitech) creates a device at /dev/video0 when it's
> plugged in, but the default permissions only allow Root to access it. I
> usually just quickly run sudo chmod 777 /dev/video0 so my normal user

It's so much easier to set group ownership in udev, set permissions to 660,
and add yourself to the group :-)
--
derek

Old 02-07-2008, 04:59 PM
Derek Broughton

Colin Brace wrote:

> In my case dmsg output looks like this:
>
> [...]
> [17393.656000] usb 5-5: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and
> [address 3 17394.084000] usb 5-5: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
> [17394.272000] Linux video capture interface: v2.00
> [17394.296000] uvcvideo: Found UVC 1.00 device Live! Cam Optia (041e:4057)
> [17394.556000] usbcore: registered new interface driver uvcvideo
> [17394.556000] USB Video Class driver (v0.1.0)
>
> Since your webcam isn't recognized, you have basically two choices:
>
> 1) buy one that is supported;

Actually, we don't have enough information yet to know if that's true.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:08 PM
Karl Larsen

Colin Brace wrote:
> On Feb 7, 2008 4:53 PM, Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:
>

>> Where can I find a list of supported webcams?
>>

> Karl, to the best of my knowledge, webcams are supported in basically
> two different ways under Linux:
>
> 1) the GSPCA/SPCA5xxSPCA5 driver;
>
> 2) the Linux-uvcvideo driver.
>
> I believe that both are now included in the Ubuntu 7.10 kernel. The
> gspca driver is probably further developed; the uvcvideo is somewhat
> more universal. In theory any webcam compatible with driverless USB
> Video Class webcam standard should work under Linux. For a list of
> webcams supported by gscpa, see the compatability charts here:
>
> <http://mxhaard.free.fr/>
>
> However I strongly recommend searching the ubuntuforums to find out
> exactly which models people have had sucess with:
>
> <http://ubuntuforums.org/search.php?query=webcam>
>
> For my part, I am pleased with the Creative Live! Optia:
>
> <http://nl.europe.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=218&subcategory=219&product=1 5985>
>
> This webcam is supported by the uvcvideo driver.

OK and it appears that webcam use is new to Linux and with just a few
kernel drivers available you MUST buy a webcam that uses an available
driver. So I will try to get a new camera at a good cost. It is not that
I lack money, I have a lot. I have a lot because I have over my working
and retirement life saved as much as possible, which sometimes costs
more than the cheapest. It is confusing sometimes.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 02-07-2008, 07:16 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Karl Larsen wrote:
> Colin Brace wrote:
>> On Feb 7, 2008 4:53 PM, Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Where can I find a list of supported webcams?
>>>
>> Karl, to the best of my knowledge, webcams are supported in basically
>> two different ways under Linux:
>>
>> 1) the GSPCA/SPCA5xxSPCA5 driver;
>>
>> 2) the Linux-uvcvideo driver.
>>
>> I believe that both are now included in the Ubuntu 7.10 kernel. The
>> gspca driver is probably further developed; the uvcvideo is somewhat
>> more universal. In theory any webcam compatible with driverless USB
>> Video Class webcam standard should work under Linux. For a list of
>> webcams supported by gscpa, see the compatability charts here:
>>
>> <http://mxhaard.free.fr/>
>>
>> However I strongly recommend searching the ubuntuforums to find out
>> exactly which models people have had sucess with:
>>
>> <http://ubuntuforums.org/search.php?query=webcam>
>>
>> For my part, I am pleased with the Creative Live! Optia:
>>
>> <http://nl.europe.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=218&subcategory=219&product=1 5985>
>>
>> This webcam is supported by the uvcvideo driver.
>>

> OK and it appears that webcam use is new to Linux and with just a few
> kernel drivers available you MUST buy a webcam that uses an available
> driver. So I will try to get a new camera at a good cost. It is not that
> I lack money, I have a lot. I have a lot because I have over my working
> and retirement life saved as much as possible, which sometimes costs
> more than the cheapest. It is confusing sometimes.

I think mine ran about $40 off Amazon or Newegg.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:44 PM
Karl Larsen

Colin Brace wrote:
> On Feb 7, 2008 4:53 PM, Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:
>

>> Where can I find a list of supported webcams?
>>

> Karl, to the best of my knowledge, webcams are supported in basically
> two different ways under Linux:
>
> 1) the GSPCA/SPCA5xxSPCA5 driver;
>
> 2) the Linux-uvcvideo driver.
>
> I believe that both are now included in the Ubuntu 7.10 kernel. The
> gspca driver is probably further developed; the uvcvideo is somewhat
> more universal. In theory any webcam compatible with driverless USB
> Video Class webcam standard should work under Linux. For a list of
> webcams supported by gscpa, see the compatability charts here:
>
> <http://mxhaard.free.fr/>
>
> However I strongly recommend searching the ubuntuforums to find out
> exactly which models people have had sucess with:
>
> <http://ubuntuforums.org/search.php?query=webcam>
>
> For my part, I am pleased with the Creative Live! Optia:
>
> <http://nl.europe.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=218&subcategory=219&product=1 5985>
>
> This webcam is supported by the uvcvideo driver.

Hi gang I ordered a webcam from the webpage below for a delivered
cost of $20.00. It is a logitec 960-000096-R -- Logitech USB 2.0
Quickcam Chat Webcam

that should work, I hope.

https://www.geeks.com

They have a bunch at good prices.