Old 02-07-2008, 04:35 AM
joe

Default samba times out during transfer

haven't found anything useful with Google yet so...

Transferring between desktop and laptop over wireless. Transfers time
out and it will not allow me to retry. Some finish some do not. Could
not find an option in /etc/smb.conf for timeout setting. Anyone know
where this can be adjusted?

Thank in advance,
Joe.

P.S. over wired network transfers between desktops finish fine.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:16 AM
Kenneth Loafman

joe wrote:
> haven't found anything useful with Google yet so...
>
> Transferring between desktop and laptop over wireless. Transfers time
> out and it will not allow me to retry. Some finish some do not. Could
> not find an option in /etc/smb.conf for timeout setting. Anyone know
> where this can be adjusted?

I believe you will find the problem is not in Samba, but in the wireless
driver. I have the same problem with large files on Samba, rsync, ftp,
etc. It seems the wireless drivers are still a bit flaky.

Besides, wireless violates the cardinal rule of Unix -- you should be
able to restart anything but the kernel without a reboot.

...Ken

Old 02-07-2008, 04:17 PM
David Vincent

Old 02-08-2008, 12:14 AM
joe

David Vincent wrote:

> are both desktops linux? switch to nfs and get a huge speed increase.
> i now get about 4mb/s over my 802.11g network and timeouts are a thing
> of the past.
Yes the machines in question are both ubuntu, but I have found NFS
difficult to configure under Ubuntu. I will perhaps make a separate post
about that one.

Thanks for the advice,
Joe.

Old 02-08-2008, 03:10 AM
NoOp

On 02/06/2008 09:35 PM, joe wrote:
> haven't found anything useful with Google yet so...
>
> Transferring between desktop and laptop over wireless. Transfers time
> out and it will not allow me to retry. Some finish some do not. Could
> not find an option in /etc/smb.conf for timeout setting. Anyone know
> where this can be adjusted?
>

> Thank in advance,
> Joe.
>

> P.S. over wired network transfers between desktops finish fine.

Have a look here & see if any of that helps:

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba/chapter/book/appb_02.html

FWIW - my [global] settings on my desktops are quite similar to the
recommended settings in the appb_02.html. My socket otions are only set
to "TCP_NODELAY. The only problems that I've had is with a laptop with
the standard 'off the shelf' smb.conf file installed by Ubuntu - my file
transfers were taking forever. Once I copied my smb.conf over from the
desktop to the laptop & modified accordingly the transfers worked just
fine. However I only have 'wired' connections.

Also, worth bookmarking:

http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/
http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/speed.html