FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-06-2008, 06:57 PM
alex
 
Default Putting an old server to good use

I have an ancient system (800 MHz) which I was using as a server with
ubuntu gutsy server on it. It also has svn/trac/openvpn/... running on
it. It had 2 hard drives, which had the same approximate age as the
computer itself, running in RAID1.

Now, one of the harddrives has failed, and I'm pretty sure the other one
is on the verge of failing as well. Instead of going out and buying new
ATA drives (which I think to be a waste, since it's a dead technology),
I was wondering if there's a more creative way to keep the server in use?

I have a brand new computer on which I work, but I would like to keep
the server programs like svn/... on a seperate server. I was possibly
considering making a thin client of the server, but not sure if this a
good way to go. Does anyone else have any good ideas as to how I can
keep using the old machine as a server without investing in ATA drives?

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-06-2008, 07:42 PM
Gerald Dachs
 
Default Putting an old server to good use

Am Wed, 06 Feb 2008 20:57:23 +0100
schrieb alex <mail@nabu.be>:

> I have an ancient system (800 MHz) which I was using as a server with
> ubuntu gutsy server on it. It also has svn/trac/openvpn/... running
> on it. It had 2 hard drives, which had the same approximate age as
> the computer itself, running in RAID1.
>
> Now, one of the harddrives has failed, and I'm pretty sure the other
> one is on the verge of failing as well. Instead of going out and
> buying new ATA drives (which I think to be a waste, since it's a dead
> technology)

And what? Let the new drive with this dead technology die with your
server, with luck in 6 years. I use a hp e-pc 40 with a 1.2 GHz Celeron
and an ATA drive as my server for everything, because my NAS has not
enough power. It works just fine and if the drive would die, I would
exchange it against another ATA drive. This old technology has not so
much power consumption than the modern one, and it is quiet. Of course
you could buy an ATA to S-ATA converter and a S-ATA drive and connect
it to your server, but I think this is nonsense.

Gerald

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-06-2008, 07:53 PM
"Sean Carolan"
 
Default Putting an old server to good use

> I have a brand new computer on which I work, but I would like to keep
> the server programs like svn/... on a seperate server. I was possibly
> considering making a thin client of the server, but not sure if this a
> good way to go. Does anyone else have any good ideas as to how I can
> keep using the old machine as a server without investing in ATA drives?

Get an IDE-to-CompactFlash adapter and a 4gb flash card. then you can
use it as a thin client, router, or whatever you wish.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-06-2008, 07:58 PM
alex
 
Default Putting an old server to good use

I am not entirely sure what you are trying to imply. Are you saying that
I should invest in a new ATA drive?

Gerald Dachs wrote:
> Am Wed, 06 Feb 2008 20:57:23 +0100
> schrieb alex <mail@nabu.be>:
>
>
>> I have an ancient system (800 MHz) which I was using as a server with
>> ubuntu gutsy server on it. It also has svn/trac/openvpn/... running
>> on it. It had 2 hard drives, which had the same approximate age as
>> the computer itself, running in RAID1.
>>
>> Now, one of the harddrives has failed, and I'm pretty sure the other
>> one is on the verge of failing as well. Instead of going out and
>> buying new ATA drives (which I think to be a waste, since it's a dead
>> technology)
>>
>
> And what? Let the new drive with this dead technology die with your
> server, with luck in 6 years. I use a hp e-pc 40 with a 1.2 GHz Celeron
> and an ATA drive as my server for everything, because my NAS has not
> enough power. It works just fine and if the drive would die, I would
> exchange it against another ATA drive. This old technology has not so
> much power consumption than the modern one, and it is quiet. Of course
> you could buy an ATA to S-ATA converter and a S-ATA drive and connect
> it to your server, but I think this is nonsense.
>
> Gerald
>
>

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-06-2008, 08:02 PM
alex
 
Default Putting an old server to good use

Would I be able to use it as a standalone server? Or would it have to be
deployed as a thin client with local storage capabilities? (by this I
mean -> load the initfs through another computer and simply mount the flash)
I ask because I'm not sure if it would be supported by ubuntu to
actually boot off of this flash. (don't even know if my bios would allow
me to use at as a primary boot device)

Sean Carolan wrote:
>> I have a brand new computer on which I work, but I would like to keep
>> the server programs like svn/... on a seperate server. I was possibly
>> considering making a thin client of the server, but not sure if this a
>> good way to go. Does anyone else have any good ideas as to how I can
>> keep using the old machine as a server without investing in ATA drives?
>>
>
> Get an IDE-to-CompactFlash adapter and a 4gb flash card. then you can
> use it as a thin client, router, or whatever you wish.
>
>

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-06-2008, 08:15 PM
Gerald Dachs
 
Default Putting an old server to good use

Am Wed, 06 Feb 2008 21:58:18 +0100
schrieb alex <mail@nabu.be>:

> I am not entirely sure what you are trying to imply. Are you saying
> that I should invest in a new ATA drive?

Yes, of course. And please don't top post.

Gerald

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-06-2008, 08:18 PM
Albert Charron
 
Default Putting an old server to good use

alex wrote:
>> And what? Let the new drive with this dead technology die with your
>> server, with luck in 6 years. I use a hp e-pc 40 with a 1.2 GHz Celeron
>> and an ATA drive as my server for everything, because my NAS has not
>> enough power. It works just fine and if the drive would die, I would
>> exchange it against another ATA drive. This old technology has not so
>> much power consumption than the modern one, and it is quiet. Of course
>> you could buy an ATA to S-ATA converter and a S-ATA drive and connect
>> it to your server, but I think this is nonsense.
>>
>> Gerald
>>
>>
>>
>
> I am not entirely sure what you are trying to imply. Are you saying that
> I should invest in a new ATA drive?
>
That's what I would do... If this server is still good for what you
need, it might be good for a couple of years from now. I have a 800Mhz
server that I just added a new 250Gb ATA drive to. This server acts as
a file and print server and is working perfectly for that. Why should I
discard it yet?

--
+--------------------------------------+
Albert Charron
+--------------------------------------+
Linux Counter member #157482
Registered computers: 195048, 361906
+--------------------------------------+


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-06-2008, 08:50 PM
Gerald Dachs
 
Default Putting an old server to good use

Am Wed, 06 Feb 2008 21:58:18 +0100
schrieb alex <mail@nabu.be>:

> I am not entirely sure what you are trying to imply. Are you saying
> that I should invest in a new ATA drive?

Sorry if I come back to this. I know my english is far from perfect, but
you could help me to improve it. Please explain what was misleading in
my response.

Gerald

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-06-2008, 08:58 PM
alex
 
Default Putting an old server to good use

Gerald Dachs wrote:
> Am Wed, 06 Feb 2008 21:58:18 +0100
> schrieb alex <mail@nabu.be>:
>
>
>> I am not entirely sure what you are trying to imply. Are you saying
>> that I should invest in a new ATA drive?
>>
>
> Sorry if I come back to this. I know my english is far from perfect, but
> you could help me to improve it. Please explain what was misleading in
> my response.
>
> Gerald
>
>
Excepting one or two grammatical errors, your english was very well
It was just a bit vague, to me at least, what exactly you were proposing.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-06-2008, 09:56 PM
alex
 
Default Putting an old server to good use

Albert Charron wrote:
> alex wrote:
>
>>> And what? Let the new drive with this dead technology die with your
>>> server, with luck in 6 years. I use a hp e-pc 40 with a 1.2 GHz Celeron
>>> and an ATA drive as my server for everything, because my NAS has not
>>> enough power. It works just fine and if the drive would die, I would
>>> exchange it against another ATA drive. This old technology has not so
>>> much power consumption than the modern one, and it is quiet. Of course
>>> you could buy an ATA to S-ATA converter and a S-ATA drive and connect
>>> it to your server, but I think this is nonsense.
>>>
>>> Gerald
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>> I am not entirely sure what you are trying to imply. Are you saying that
>> I should invest in a new ATA drive?
>>
>>
> That's what I would do... If this server is still good for what you
> need, it might be good for a couple of years from now. I have a 800Mhz
> server that I just added a new 250Gb ATA drive to. This server acts as
> a file and print server and is working perfectly for that. Why should I
> discard it yet?
>
>
I'm just worried that if that computer ends up frying a piece of
antiquated hardware which is hard to replace, I may be stuck with a
number of ATA drives that may or may not supported by the computers
available at that time. I have no idea of the timeline for getting rid
of IDE.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:50 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org