Old 02-06-2008, 06:45 PM
"Wade Smart"

Default mounting a second drive

0206200 1342 GMT-6

I have a second drive that I use as a backup drive. Im needing to do
that now but Im unable to mount the drive.
I had set this up a long time ago to do so automatically at boot but
apparently something happened along the way and it is no longer doing
that.
I thought that the command was "mount /dev/sbd1" but I am incorrect.

Wade

Old 02-06-2008, 07:30 PM
Gerald Dachs

Am Wed, 6 Feb 2008 13:45:26 -0600
schrieb "Wade Smart" <wadesmart@gmail.com>:

> 0206200 1342 GMT-6
>
> I have a second drive that I use as a backup drive. Im needing to do
> that now but Im unable to mount the drive.
> I had set this up a long time ago to do so automatically at boot but
> apparently something happened along the way and it is no longer doing
> that.
> I thought that the command was "mount /dev/sbd1" but I am incorrect.

You have forgotten to post the error message you got, and the output of
'sudo fdisk -l' would be helpful too.

Gerald

Old 02-06-2008, 07:36 PM
"Wade Smart"

Sorry.

wadesmart@wadesmart:~$ sudo fdisk -l
Password:

Disk /dev/sda: 203.9 GB, 203928109056 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 24792 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 24513 196900641 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 24514 24792 2241067+ 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 24514 24792 2241036 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Disk /dev/sdb: 40.0 GB, 40020664320 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4865 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdb1 1 3824 30716248+ 83 Linux
/dev/sdb3 4714 4865 1220940 5 Extended
/dev/sdb5 4714 4865 1220908+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
wadesmart@wadesmart:~$

Old 02-06-2008, 07:56 PM
Nils Kassube

Wade Smart wrote:
> I have a second drive that I use as a backup drive. Im needing to do
> that now but Im unable to mount the drive.
> I had set this up a long time ago to do so automatically at boot but
> apparently something happened along the way and it is no longer doing
> that.
> I thought that the command was "mount /dev/sbd1" but I am incorrect.

Try "pmount /dev/sdb1" instead. If you want to mount it at boot time,
create an entry in /etc/fstab for the device.

Nils

Old 02-06-2008, 07:58 PM
Gerald Dachs

And where is the error message from the mount command?

Gerald

Old 02-06-2008, 08:00 PM
"Wade Smart"

wadesmart@wadesmart:~$ pmount /dev/sbd1
bash: pmount: command not found

Old 02-06-2008, 08:01 PM
"Wade Smart"

wadesmart@wadesmart:~$ sudo mount /dev/sdb1
mount: can't find /dev/sdb in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

wadesmart@wadesmart~$ sudo mount /dev/sbd1
mount: ~

Old 02-06-2008, 08:09 PM
Karl Larsen

Wade Smart wrote:
> 0206200 1342 GMT-6
>
> I have a second drive that I use as a backup drive. Im needing to do
> that now but Im unable to mount the drive.
> I had set this up a long time ago to do so automatically at boot but
> apparently something happened along the way and it is no longer doing
> that.
> I thought that the command was "mount /dev/sbd1" but I am incorrect.
>
> Wade

Hi Wade I put a line in my /etc/fstab file that mounts a partition
on my second hard drive to the first with Ubuntu on it This looks like:

karl@karl-desktop:~$ cat /etc/fstab
#
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# /dev/hda8
UUID=a9c1cb61-ddfd-44f6-88b0-6dc976daf9ca / ext3
defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
# /dev/hda1
UUID=7915f630-518c-425b-9fea-0ef07e50d0f9 none swap
sw 0 0
# /dev/sda2
UUID=7d8c37ed-b2ec-4008-a137-f24c6659c5ab none swap
sw 0 0
/dev/hdb /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0 0
/dev/hda7 /f7home ext3 defaults 1 2
karl@karl-desktop:~$

The /dev/hda7 hooking to my /f7home directory is what I want. Now that
partition on my computer is always /f7home/filename/.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 02-06-2008, 08:13 PM
Gerald Dachs

Am Wed, 6 Feb 2008 21:56:12 +0100
schrieb Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net>:

> Wade Smart wrote:
> > I have a second drive that I use as a backup drive. Im needing to do
> > that now but Im unable to mount the drive.
> > I had set this up a long time ago to do so automatically at boot but
> > apparently something happened along the way and it is no longer
> > doing that.
> > I thought that the command was "mount /dev/sbd1" but I am
> > incorrect.
>
> Try "pmount /dev/sdb1" instead. If you want to mount it at boot time,
> create an entry in /etc/fstab for the device.

I have heard the first time from pmount, it seems to be like 'sudo
mount'. I don't think that another utility that is not installed by
default is necessary for a trivial problem like this. For me it is
clear that it is either a permission problem, or the OP forgot to use
the mounting directory on the command line, and because the new
drive is not in the fstab, mount can't take it from there. But because
I don't like to guess and I want that the OP learns to post questions
in the ML and learns to interpret error messages, I didn't tell this
in the first time.

Gerald

Old 02-06-2008, 08:14 PM
Gerald Dachs

Am Wed, 6 Feb 2008 15:00:48 -0600
schrieb "Wade Smart" <wadesmart@gmail.com>:

> wadesmart@wadesmart:~$ pmount /dev/sbd1
> bash: pmount: command not found

Again, where is the error message from your mount command!

Gerald