Old 02-06-2008, 03:47 PM
"Vitorio Okio"

Default gnome-terminal question

My gnome-terminal uses forced line wrap only. Thus, no matter what the
terminal window is, it wraps lines on line 80. It makes the reading of
the output in many cases very inconvenient.

Is it capable to auto-wrap instead? If yes, how to turn it on?

Thank you.

Old 02-06-2008, 04:37 PM
NoOp

On 02/06/2008 08:47 AM, Vitorio Okio wrote:
> My gnome-terminal uses forced line wrap only. Thus, no matter what the
> terminal window is, it wraps lines on line 80. It makes the reading of
> the output in many cases very inconvenient.
>
> Is it capable to auto-wrap instead? If yes, how to turn it on?
>
> Thank you.

Mine (Terminal 2.18.2) wraps at the width of the window (on all my
systems). Perhaps if you purge and reinstall?

sudo apt-get purge gnome-terminal gnome-terminal-data
sudo apt-get install gnome-terminal gnome-terminal-data

Old 02-06-2008, 09:16 PM
Vitorio Okio

On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 09:37:15 -0800, NoOp wrote:

> On 02/06/2008 08:47 AM, Vitorio Okio wrote:
>> My gnome-terminal uses forced line wrap only. Thus, no matter what the
>> terminal window is, it wraps lines on line 80. It makes the reading of
>> the output in many cases very inconvenient.
>>
>> Is it capable to auto-wrap instead? If yes, how to turn it on?
>>
>> Thank you.
>>

> Mine (Terminal 2.18.2) wraps at the width of the window (on all my
> systems). Perhaps if you purge and reinstall?
>
> sudo apt-get purge gnome-terminal gnome-terminal-data sudo apt-get
> install gnome-terminal gnome-terminal-data

That helped but not completely.

It stopped forced wrapping on a predefined column, but only if I either
enlarge the terminal window before executing a command or I enlarge the
window during the command execution. That is, it refreshes the window
and wraps the output according to the new window size only when output is
in process. If the command is completed the output remains wrapped for
the initial window size.

Is it the way it works on your systems?

Anyway it's much better than I had it before re-install.

Thank you.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:45 AM
Ulf Rompe

Am Mittwoch, den 06.02.2008, 22:16 +0000 schrieb Vitorio Okio:
> It stopped forced wrapping on a predefined column, but only if I
> either enlarge the terminal window before executing a command or I
> enlarge the window during the command execution. That is, it
> refreshes the window and wraps the output according to the new window
> size only when output is in process. If the command is completed the
> output remains wrapped for the initial window size.

That's the way it has to be. The wrapping is done by the shell. The
terminal just tells the size to the shell. You can force the shell to
ask for the current window size after every command by putting this into
your ~/.bashrc :

shopt -s checkwinsize

See "man bash" for an explanation.

[x] ulf

--
STRESSED spelled backwards is DESSERTS.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:46 PM
"Vitorio Okio"

this is exactly what i needed. thank you very much. i'll read man
pages certainly.

news:1202377522.10339.72.camel@ilsor.hnv.icem.de.. .