Old 02-08-2011, 03:39 PM
Amichai Rotman

Default Converting PDF Files to ePub

Hello all,
I recently bought an e-book reader and want to use it to read all those wonderful books available out there for free (Ubuntu Pocket Guide, for instance).

The reader is an OEM manufactured by Qisda. This is a link to the technical details.

I'd like to convert my existing books to be read on the device. it supports ePub, so I thought that would be the best format to use...
I tried to use Calibre to convert the files, but they come out all jumbled: random characters, paragraphs breaking it the middle...

I was wondering if there's a way to add my device to the output profiles. I tried the Sony Reader profile (my device is similar to the Sony PRS-600) but got the same result.

Any ideas / pointers?
Thanks!
Amichai.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:06 PM
Tarun Khanna

I recently bought an e-book reader and want to use it to read all those wonderful books available out there for free (Ubuntu Pocket Guide, for instance).

The reader is an OEM manufactured by Qisda. This is a link to the technical details.

I'd like to convert my existing books to be read on the device. it supports ePub, so I thought that would be the best format to use...
I tried to use Calibre to convert the files, but they come out all jumbled: random characters, paragraphs breaking it the middle...

I was wondering if there's a way to add my device to the output profiles. I tried the Sony Reader profile (my device is similar to the Sony PRS-600) but got the same result.

Any ideas / pointers?
Thanks!
Amichai.

Were the ePubs not readable in Ubuntu as well?

Old 02-08-2011, 07:24 PM
"Russ Foster"

On Tue, 8 Feb 2011, Amichai Rotman wrote:

> I recently bought an e-book reader and want to use it to read all those wonderful books available out there for free
> (Ubuntu Pocket Guide, for instance).
>
> I'd like to convert my existing books to be read on the device. it supports ePub, so I thought that would be the
> best format to use...
>
> I tried to use Calibre to convert the files, but they come out all jumbled: random characters, paragraphs breaking
> it the middle...
>
> I was wondering if there's a way to add my device to the output profiles. I tried the Sony Reader profile (my device
> is similar to the Sony PRS-600) but got the same result.
>
> Any ideas / pointers?

Unfortunately, no. There is no *really* good (automatic) way to convert PDF to epub format.

The epub format is designed to permit maximum flexibility in text flow reformatting based on the individual reader device; whether it's a 4" HTC android smart phone, a 10" iPad, or a 6" Sony reader.

PDFs are designed to hold the exact formatting the original author intended; including font, font size, layout and pagination.

Any conversion from PDF to epub is going to make some "guess" as to the how to reformat. Epub doesn't have options for "callout" boxes, multiple columns, etc.

This is why I bought a Sony reader (PRS 350). It will read and allow me to highlight and sketch on PDFs in their natively displayed format.

Epubs are actually HTML files (but using only a subset of the commands). You can verify this by changing the .epub extension to .zip and gunzip'ing.

I've looked for PDF to HTML converters, but nothing works great unless the original PDF has a very simple layout. Cisco reference documents convert fine, but that's about it.

Good luck.

-r

Old 02-08-2011, 07:48 PM

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 11:39, Amichai Rotman <amichai@iglu.org.il> wrote:
> Hello all,
> I recently bought an e-book reader and want to use it to read all those
> wonderful books available out there for free (Ubuntu Pocket Guide, for
> instance).
> The reader is an OEM manufactured by Qisda. This is a link to the technical
> details.

Aside from trying to convert PDFs to ePub documents, does that reader
not already support PDFs? Am I reading the specs wrong?

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/261636182/6inch_Ebook_Reader_Device_AUO_SiPix.html

PDF reader Adobe (w/DRM) *.pdf (mobile 9)
Fbreader HTML YES
TXT YES
EPUB/RTF YES
Image reader JPEG YES
PNG YES
BMP YES
GIF N/A

that seems to indicate that it comes with a pdf reader...

Old 02-09-2011, 06:31 AM
John D Lamb

If the real issue is converting PDF to ePub there is no easy solution.

ePub uses logical markup: it marks chapters, paragraphs, index entries
and (effectively) words so the reader can identify them.

PDF uses physical markup: it has no concept of word, paragraph or
chapter; so, at best a converter program can only make a good guess
about what was intended. It cannot even guarantee to identify individual
words or characters consistently.

--
JDL

Old 02-09-2011, 10:09 PM
Amichai Rotman

OK,
Thank you all. I now understand it is next to impossible....
I'll just try to get them in HTML format first...
Amichai.

--

JDL