Old 02-06-2008, 11:33 AM
andy baxter

Default Can you ask a nameserver to refresh its cache for a given name?

hello,

Is there a command you can use to ask your nameserver to refresh its
cache for a given name? The reason is that a web (phpbb) forum I go to
has just changed to a different server, and they are saying not to post
until the name is pointing to the new server. Is there a command I can
run here to hurry this up, or do I just have to wait? I've looked for
options to do this in host and dig and not found any.

andy.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:04 PM
Ed Greshko

andy baxter wrote:
> hello,
>
> Is there a command you can use to ask your nameserver to refresh its
> cache for a given name? The reason is that a web (phpbb) forum I go to
> has just changed to a different server, and they are saying not to post
> until the name is pointing to the new server. Is there a command I can
> run here to hurry this up, or do I just have to wait? I've looked for
> options to do this in host and dig and not found any.

rndc flush

man rndc for more information.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:08 PM
Adam McGreggor

On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 12:33:12PM +0000, andy baxter wrote:
> hello,
>
> Is there a command you can use to ask your nameserver to refresh its
> cache for a given name? The reason is that a web (phpbb) forum I go to
> has just changed to a different server, and they are saying not to post
> until the name is pointing to the new server. Is there a command I can
> run here to hurry this up, or do I just have to wait? I've looked for
> options to do this in host and dig and not found any.

Ah, the wonders of a post-migration "bugger. should have dropped the
TTLs"...

whack a line in your hosts(5) file, if you're that keen.