Old 02-06-2008, 09:07 AM
Philippe Didier

Default Live CD Possible MBR Error

Daniel Shephard wrote:
> After running the Ubunto Live CD to take a look at Linux and try it
> out I am no longer able to boot into my Windows Vista OS and cannot
> access my normal programs and files etc.

Hi,

Live install works in memory and should not interfer with any OS.
Did you begin the real install it via the Install icon on the Desktop?
What happen now during the boot? Do you have a new menu choice (what we
call GRUB) ?

Please give a little bit more information,

Thanks

Philippe

Old 02-07-2008, 02:24 PM
"Daniel Shephard"

Hey Philippe,
*
I did not click on the regular install at all. Merely picked the first option of 'Start or Install Ubunto' and it loaded into the RAM/CD based OS.
*
Now when booting it keeps a 'BIOS' looking black screen and*requests that I select Windows Vista or a previous version of Windows and once selected it gives an error. I do not have the computer in front of me but the error gave a memory location (something like 0xc00001) and then an obscure file name. (It has actually given me two different file names).

*
It also suggested that I use the Vista disk to repair the problem. Upon using the Vista disc it said there was an error 'in the hardware' and then once I told it to repair the error it took about 25 minutes 'repairing' and then said that the repair failed and told me to contact my administrator.

*
I'll try and replicate the error messages and send them to you if this is not specific enough.
*
Thanks for any help!
*
-Daniel