Old 02-06-2008, 01:47 AM
elmo

Default Converting an icon to a file.

There's an icon on my ubuntu desktop that is rated executable but I'm
not able to execute it directly.

I've heard that there's a way to convert such icons into files that can
be executed. How is the conversion from icon form to a file accomplished?

Old 02-06-2008, 02:00 AM
steve

Old 02-06-2008, 02:04 AM
Charlie Kravetz

On Tue, 2008-02-05 at 21:47 -0500, elmo wrote:
> There's an icon on my ubuntu desktop that is rated executable but I'm
> not able to execute it directly.
>
> I've heard that there's a way to convert such icons into files that can
> be executed. How is the conversion from icon form to a file accomplished?
To give you a correct answer, I need to know what the file is. What is
the name? What type of file is it?

Many files can be made executable by right clicking, click on
properties, and check 'Execute:' Of course, this does not always work.

good luck,
--
Charlie Kravetz

Old 02-16-2008, 11:59 PM
elmo

Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-02-05 at 21:47 -0500, elmo wrote:
>
>> There's an icon on my ubuntu desktop that is rated executable but I'm
>> not able to execute it directly.
>>
>> I've heard that there's a way to convert such icons into files that can
>> be executed. How is the conversion from icon form to a file accomplished?
>>
> To give you a correct answer, I need to know what the file is. What is
> the name? What type of file is it?
>
> Many files can be made executable by right clicking, click on
> properties, and check 'Execute:' Of course, this does not always work.
>
> good luck,

The file that is represented by an icon is .' unstopcp ' As far as I
can tell, it isn't executable
in icon form..

It is originally downloaded as ' unstopcp.gz , then processed by these
commands:
gunzip unstopcp.gz
chmod a+x unstopcp
./unstopcp

My interpretation:
The first and second commands create an icon called ' unstopcp '
The 3rd command is supposed to create the file form of ' /unstopcp '
and execute it.

What you should see is a menu where you enter the name of the source,
for example : /dev/sda2
and the name of the destination, ie: /dev/sdc1. Pressing " COPY "
should start the operation where
you should see the transfer of files

My problem is, it starts but immediately stops.the copy action.

Old 02-17-2008, 02:04 AM
Charlie Kravetz

On Sat, 2008-02-16 at 19:59 -0500, elmo wrote:
> Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> > On Tue, 2008-02-05 at 21:47 -0500, elmo wrote:
> >
> >> There's an icon on my ubuntu desktop that is rated executable but I'm
> >> not able to execute it directly.
> >>
> >> I've heard that there's a way to convert such icons into files that can
> >> be executed. How is the conversion from icon form to a file accomplished?
> >>
> > To give you a correct answer, I need to know what the file is. What is
> > the name? What type of file is it?
> >
> > Many files can be made executable by right clicking, click on
> > properties, and check 'Execute:' Of course, this does not always work.
> >
> > good luck,
> >
> The file that is represented by an icon is .' unstopcp ' As far as I
> can tell, it isn't executable
> in icon form..
>
> It is originally downloaded as ' unstopcp.gz , then processed by these
> commands:
> gunzip unstopcp.gz
> chmod a+x unstopcp
> ./unstopcp
>
> My interpretation:
> The first and second commands create an icon called ' unstopcp '
> The 3rd command is supposed to create the file form of ' /unstopcp '
> and execute it.
>
> What you should see is a menu where you enter the name of the source,
> for example : /dev/sda2
> and the name of the destination, ie: /dev/sdc1. Pressing " COPY "
> should start the operation where
> you should see the transfer of files
>
> My problem is, it starts but immediately stops.the copy action.

Having installed this application (unstopcd.gz), unzipped it and run it,
I am able to make it copy a single file at a time. I can not find a way
to copy a directoy with it. That seems like a very slow way to copy. I
find using "cp -ar source dest/ much faster and more efficient.
--
Charlie Kravetz