Old 02-05-2008, 10:53 PM
James Takac

Default Router/hub Q

Hi Guys

I'm experiencing some probs with my netgear router. That is I assume the
router is the prob. Basically I can access the net from any computer
connected to the router but I can no longer get any of my pc's seeing each
other. Ubuntu to Ubuntu or WinXp to Ubuntu makes no difference there. Also it
has a nasty habit of freezing on me from time to time so I suspect it's on
the way out. Likely damaged by the last descent storm to hit my area while I
was at work. What I'm wondering is, is it just as feasable to connect a multi
port hub and a single port dsl modem as it is another multi port router? My
understanding is that it should do the same job

James

Old 02-05-2008, 11:09 PM
Res

Hi James,

On Wed, 6 Feb 2008, James Takac wrote:

> I'm experiencing some probs with my netgear router. That is I assume the

Which model?

> router is the prob. Basically I can access the net from any computer
> connected to the router but I can no longer get any of my pc's seeing each

ethernet or wireless? If wireless some netgears have the ability to do an
'isolation mode' which causes this exact same scenario.

> has a nasty habit of freezing on me from time to time so I suspect it's on

when it freezes, can any other pc access it? tried both ethernet and
wireless?

> the way out. Likely damaged by the last descent storm to hit my area while I
> was at work. What I'm wondering is, is it just as feasable to connect a multi
> port hub and a single port dsl modem as it is another multi port router? My

Possibly better to do it that way, 8 port SOHO switches can be bought from
40 odd dollars upwards, probably cheaper in other parts of the world, its
for home, so you dont need a foundry

I do find I get better throughput from pc to pc via a cheap $40 dlink
switch than I do via any netgear I've tried, if doing many things at once,
like heavy NFS use or rsycing (via ethernet).

--
Cheers
Res

Old 02-06-2008, 03:50 AM
NoOp

On 02/05/2008 03:53 PM, James Takac wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> I'm experiencing some probs with my netgear router. That is I assume the
> router is the prob. Basically I can access the net from any computer
> connected to the router but I can no longer get any of my pc's seeing each
> other. Ubuntu to Ubuntu or WinXp to Ubuntu makes no difference there. Also it
> has a nasty habit of freezing on me from time to time so I suspect it's on
> the way out. Likely damaged by the last descent storm to hit my area while I
> was at work. What I'm wondering is, is it just as feasable to connect a multi
> port hub and a single port dsl modem as it is another multi port router? My
> understanding is that it should do the same job
>
> James

I use old linksys 5 port hubs behind a router w/firewall and they work
just fine. No setup/configuration required, just plug them in and go.
Just make sure that if you eliminate the router that you do have a
firewall of sorts between the hub and the internet. You can create one
with an old PC, or in a pinch use firestarter on the linux pc's, but I
wouldn't trust the WinXP pc without an actual hardware NAT w/firewall in
front of it.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:34 PM
James Takac

Hi Res

On Wednesday 06 February 2008 10:09:17 Res wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> On Wed, 6 Feb 2008, James Takac wrote:
> > I'm experiencing some probs with my netgear router. That is I assume the
>
> Which model?

Netcomm nb1300 plus4

> > router is the prob. Basically I can access the net from any computer
> > connected to the router but I can no longer get any of my pc's seeing
> > each
>
> ethernet or wireless? If wireless some netgears have the ability to do an
> 'isolation mode' which causes this exact same scenario.

ethernet. My oops, meant netcomm

> > has a nasty habit of freezing on me from time to time so I suspect it's
> > on
>
> when it freezes, can any other pc access it? tried both ethernet and
> wireless?

I get no response from the modem at that point

> > the way out. Likely damaged by the last descent storm to hit my area
> > while I was at work. What I'm wondering is, is it just as feasable to
> > connect a multi port hub and a single port dsl modem as it is another
> > multi port router? My
>
> Possibly better to do it that way, 8 port SOHO switches can be bought from
> 40 odd dollars upwards, probably cheaper in other parts of the world, its
> for home, so you dont need a foundry
>
> I do find I get better throughput from pc to pc via a cheap $40 dlink
> switch than I do via any netgear I've tried, if doing many things at once,
> like heavy NFS use or rsycing (via ethernet).
>

> --
> Cheers
> Res

thx for the help
James

--
Subhuti, what do you think? Is the Tathagata to be recognized by some material
characteristic? No, World-honored One; the Tathagata cannot be recognized

Dharmapada
Section V. Understanding the Ultimate Principle of Reality

Old 02-06-2008, 10:37 PM
James Takac

Hi NoOp

On Wednesday 06 February 2008 14:50:00 NoOp wrote:
> On 02/05/2008 03:53 PM, James Takac wrote:
> > Hi Guys
> >
> > I'm experiencing some probs with my netgear router. That is I assume the
> > router is the prob. Basically I can access the net from any computer
> > connected to the router but I can no longer get any of my pc's seeing
> > each other. Ubuntu to Ubuntu or WinXp to Ubuntu makes no difference
> > there. Also it has a nasty habit of freezing on me from time to time so I
> > suspect it's on the way out. Likely damaged by the last descent storm to
> > hit my area while I was at work. What I'm wondering is, is it just as
> > feasable to connect a multi port hub and a single port dsl modem as it is
> > another multi port router? My understanding is that it should do the same
> > job
> >
> > James
>
> I use old linksys 5 port hubs behind a router w/firewall and they work
> just fine. No setup/configuration required, just plug them in and go.
> Just make sure that if you eliminate the router that you do have a
> firewall of sorts between the hub and the internet. You can create one
> with an old PC, or in a pinch use firestarter on the linux pc's, but I
> wouldn't trust the WinXP pc without an actual hardware NAT w/firewall in
> front of it.

Know what you mean there. XP is hard to keep clean at the best of times. I
have firestarter installed on all my ubuntu systems. And I believe most dsl
modems these days have a built in firewall of sorts as well. Even single port
models from what I've seen so far

James

Old 02-06-2008, 10:54 PM
Res

Hi James,

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008, James Takac wrote:

>> On Wed, 6 Feb 2008, James Takac wrote:
>>> I'm experiencing some probs with my netgear router. That is I assume the
>>
>> Which model?
>
> Netcomm nb1300 plus4

Ah ok, those can be problematic, the early day netcomms were good, but
then they starte dto get popular, and they needed to manufactur a lot more
fast, this meant their supplier was using cheaper components and sicne
then, they can be rubbishy.

> ethernet. My oops, meant netcomm

hehe thats OK. I think its time to replace it, try a netgear, for DSL.
they work very well and are cheap enough as well.
Whatever you do avoid Dlink DSL gear, they make a great little 8port soho
switches, but I've never ben impressed with their DSL modems, the 3xx and
6xx series at least, gave our support staff nightmates.

> I get no response from the modem at that point

Is it under warranty? If so try your luck of a replacement, just don't
mention the storm, but then again you shouldn't as it's 'hear say', you
were at work, and are not to _actually_ know, so you're not really BS'ing
them.

--
Cheers
Res

Old 02-07-2008, 12:08 AM
James Takac

Hi Res

On Thursday 07 February 2008 09:54:41 Res wrote:
> Hi James,

> >> Which model?
> >
> > Netcomm nb1300 plus4
>
> Ah ok, those can be problematic, the early day netcomms were good, but
> then they starte dto get popular, and they needed to manufactur a lot more
> fast, this meant their supplier was using cheaper components and sicne
> then, they can be rubbishy.

Thx for the heads up there. Worked fine till the storm which is why I suspect
storm damage.

> > ethernet. My oops, meant netcomm
>
> hehe thats OK. I think its time to replace it, try a netgear, for DSL.
> they work very well and are cheap enough as well.
> Whatever you do avoid Dlink DSL gear, they make a great little 8port soho
> switches, but I've never ben impressed with their DSL modems, the 3xx and
> 6xx series at least, gave our support staff nightmates.

I've come to the same conclusion re replacing it. Finally got a reason to
ditch windows 100% on the last sys with a printer/scanner that will work with
ubuntu (new) which is all that stopped me there. Think I'll go the hub and
modem approach as I can connect more pc's that way

> > I get no response from the modem at that point
>
> Is it under warranty? If so try your luck of a replacement, just don't
> mention the storm, but then again you shouldn't as it's 'hear say', you
> were at work, and are not to _actually_ know, so you're not really BS'ing
> them.

Well and truly out of warranty there
> --
> Cheers
> Res

Thx
James

Old 02-07-2008, 12:57 PM
"Colin Brace"

On Feb 6, 2008 12:53 AM, James Takac <p3nndrag0n@gmail.com> wrote:

> What I'm wondering is, is it just as feasable to connect a multi
> port hub and a single port dsl modem as it is another multi port router? My
> understanding is that it should do the same job

Should work, and you may find that it is even preferable to having a
second router in your network, as that just complicates things like
port-forwarding.

That being said, some of the SoHo modem/routers have limited CPU/RAM,
and you can easily max them out with too many open connections. If you
have a client doing heavy gaming, p2p, that kind of thing, it can
really slow down your network, with the bottleneck being your
modem/router's NAT capabilities.

I've encountered this issue myself, and I solved it by putting the
modem in half-bridge mode and dedicating an old PIII to serve as
gateway/router/WAP.

--
Colin Brace
Amsterdam