Old 01-28-2011, 11:00 AM
Frans Ketelaars

Default Choosing a new printer/all-in-one

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 11:44:23 +0100, Leo Noordhuizen wrote:

> In another thread I asked about the support for Canon printers in Linux.
> Specifically of the iP4500 printer.
> As it turns out the support isnt as wished for, and as the printer is
> starting to make 'funny' noises, is getting a bit old, AND it seems to
> consume ink like an alcoholic,
> It may be time to replace my iP 4500 and Scanjet G3010 (which is taking
> up too much place for the little use it gets anyway) by one of those
> All-in-ones...
>
> Now the big questions is which one should I go for....
>
> My wishlist:
>
> - Double-sided printing, as silent as possible, with a reasonable
> speed and of course good quality
> - Occasionally printing a photo
> - Good Linux support
> - Occasionally scanning (and possibly printing) (multi-color) text -
> Preferably the scanner use LED instead of the time-consuming older
> means of lighting the original
> - Of course low ink cost ( )
> - Nice to have: printing on CD and DVD
>
> Canon has a unit which seems to fullfil this list quite nicely, apart
> from the Linux support, so that wouldnt be my first choice.
>
> Of course there is also the question of availability, price and
> resulting quality of prints when using third party ink. I know that the
> price difference between original and third party ink can be a factor of
> 3...
>
> Any advice regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.canon-europe.com/Support/Software/Linux/PIXMA/index.asp might
help.

Good luck!

-Frans

Old 01-28-2011, 12:43 PM
Leo Noordhuizen

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 1:00 PM, Frans Ketelaars <ketelaars@wanadoo.nl> wrote:

http://www.canon-europe.com/Support/Software/Linux/PIXMA/index.asp might

help.

Good luck!

� �-Frans
Thanks, Frans, but the result of trying to use those is:
sudo dpkg -i cnijfilter-common_2.80-1_i386.deb�

[sudo] password for lcn:�dpkg-deb: `cnijfilter-common_2.80-1_i386.deb' is not a debian format archivedpkg: error processing cnijfilter-common_2.80-1_i386.deb (--install):�subprocess dpkg-deb --control returned error exit status 2

Errors were encountered while processing:�cnijfilter-common_2.80-1_i386.deb
So I guess I cant use them. (I wonder who CAN)
Leo

Old 01-28-2011, 02:14 PM
Tony Pursell

On Fri, 2011-01-28 at 12:00 +0000, Frans Ketelaars wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 11:44:23 +0100, Leo Noordhuizen wrote:
>
> > In another thread I asked about the support for Canon printers in Linux.
> > Specifically of the iP4500 printer.
> > As it turns out the support isnt as wished for, and as the printer is
> > starting to make 'funny' noises, is getting a bit old, AND it seems to
> > consume ink like an alcoholic,
> > It may be time to replace my iP 4500 and Scanjet G3010 (which is taking
> > up too much place for the little use it gets anyway) by one of those
> > All-in-ones...
> >
> > Now the big questions is which one should I go for....
> >
> > My wishlist:
> >
> > - Double-sided printing, as silent as possible, with a reasonable
> > speed and of course good quality
> > - Occasionally printing a photo
> > - Good Linux support
> > - Occasionally scanning (and possibly printing) (multi-color) text -
> > Preferably the scanner use LED instead of the time-consuming older
> > means of lighting the original
> > - Of course low ink cost ( )
> > - Nice to have: printing on CD and DVD
> >
> > Canon has a unit which seems to fullfil this list quite nicely, apart
> > from the Linux support, so that wouldnt be my first choice.
> >
> > Of course there is also the question of availability, price and
> > resulting quality of prints when using third party ink. I know that the
> > price difference between original and third party ink can be a factor of
> > 3...
> >
> > Any advice regarding this would be greatly appreciated.
>
> http://www.canon-europe.com/Support/Software/Linux/PIXMA/index.asp might
> help.
>
> Good luck!
>
> -Frans

To check if any printer is going to work well with Linux, go to

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting/database/databaseintro

If the printer is not reported in its database as working 'Perfectly',
or, at least, 'Mostly', then you are going to have a struggle to use all
its features in Linux. So when you have found a printer that says it
does all you want it to do, check it out at that site to see if it does
it with Linux.

Tony

Old 01-28-2011, 03:11 PM
Frans Ketelaars

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 14:43:41 +0100, Leo Noordhuizen wrote:

<quote>

> http://www.canon-europe.com/Support/Software/Linux/PIXMA/index.asp might
> help.
>
> Good luck!
>
> -Frans

Thanks, Frans, but the result of trying to use those is:

sudo dpkg -i cnijfilter-common_2.80-1_i386.deb [sudo] password for lcn:
dpkg-deb: `cnijfilter-common_2.80-1_i386.deb' is not a debian format
archive dpkg: error processing cnijfilter-common_2.80-1_i386.deb
(--install):
subprocess dpkg-deb --control returned error exit status 2
cnijfilter-common_2.80-1_i386.deb

So I guess I cant use them. (I wonder who CAN)

</quote>

On my Ubuntu 8.04 system:

frans@frans-desktop-ubuntu:~$ sudo dpkg -i cnijfilter-
common_2.80-1_i386.deb
dpkg - warning: downgrading cnijfilter-common from 3.20-1 to 2.80-1.
(Reading database ... 400526 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace cnijfilter-common 3.20-1 (using cnijfilter-
common_2.80-1_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement cnijfilter-common ...
Setting up cnijfilter-common (2.80-1) ...
Processing triggers for libc6 ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
frans@frans-desktop-ubuntu:~$

-Frans (who now has to get his 3.20-1 version back )

Old 01-28-2011, 05:32 PM
NoOp

On 01/28/2011 02:44 AM, Leo Noordhuizen wrote:
> In another thread I asked about the support for Canon printers in Linux.
> Specifically of the iP4500 printer.
> As it turns out the support isnt as wished for, and as the printer is
> starting to make 'funny' noises, is getting a bit old, AND it seems to
> consume ink like an alcoholic,
> It may be time to replace my iP 4500 and Scanjet G3010 (which is taking up
> too much place for the little use it gets anyway) by one of those
> All-in-ones...

http://www.turboprint.info/
http://www.turboprint.info/printers.html
http://www.turboprint.info/printers_Canon.html

<http://www.zedonet.com/en_p_turboprint_driver.phtml?printer=Canon_PIXMA_i P4500>
http://www.zedonet.com/en_shop_turboprint.phtml

You can control your ink etc from there.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:43 AM
Tommy Trussell

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 12:32 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 01/28/2011 02:44 AM, Leo Noordhuizen wrote:
>> In another thread I asked about the support for Canon printers in Linux.
>> Specifically of the iP4500 printer.
>> As it turns out the support isnt as wished for, and as the printer is
>> starting to make 'funny' noises, is getting *a bit old, AND it seems to
>> consume ink like an alcoholic,
>> It may be time to replace my iP 4500 and Scanjet G3010 (which is taking up
>> too much place for the little use it gets anyway) by one of those
>> All-in-ones...
>
> http://www.turboprint.info/
> *http://www.turboprint.info/printers.html
> *http://www.turboprint.info/printers_Canon.html
>
> <http://www.zedonet.com/en_p_turboprint_driver.phtml?printer=Canon_PIXMA_i P4500>
> http://www.zedonet.com/en_shop_turboprint.phtml
>
> You can control your ink etc from there.

As I mentioned in the other thread, if you have a Canon printer,
TurboPrint is far superior to the open-source drivers. It is not free
software, but I encourage anyone to download it and give it a try. I
think it is worth paying for if it works for you. Of course if Canon
supported linux better themselves it wouldn't be necessary.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:29 PM
Franz Waldmller

In another thread I asked about the support for Canon printers in Linux.
Specifically of the iP4500 printer.
As it turns out the support isnt as wished for, and as the printer is
starting to make 'funny' noises, is getting a bit old, AND it seems to
consume ink like an alcoholic,
It may be time to replace my iP 4500 and Scanjet G3010 (which is taking
up too much place for the little use it gets anyway) by one of those
All-in-ones...

Now the big questions is which one should I go for....

My wishlist:

* Double-sided printing, as silent as possible, with a reasonable
speed and of course good quality
* Occasionally printing a photo
* Good Linux support
Hp Printers and All-in-ones have a very good linux support. It is
amazing. last weekend working from a live cd. Trying the scan
application: Network Scanner on Hp "office ..." is detected
automatically and added to the system.

Unfortunately it is very difficult to find a printer which cand print
double sided.

Franz

Old 02-02-2011, 10:47 PM
Noah Duffy

I also recommend HP printers. I would just look at their All-in-One
reviews and go from there. I had a HP AOI that had wireless
capabilities. It always worked great. No issues that were caused from
me using Linux.

Thanks,
Noah

Old 02-04-2011, 02:47 AM
Ric Moore

On Wed, 2011-02-02 at 17:47 -0600, Noah Duffy wrote:
> I also recommend HP printers. I would just look at their All-in-One
> reviews and go from there. I had a HP AOI that had wireless
> capabilities. It always worked great. No issues that were caused from
> me using Linux.

I like mine as well, but it sucks ink like a thirsty mule and any
electrical glitch causes it to spasm with glee and print off test pages
that practically douse the page with a goodly amount of ink. I have
found no way to turn off this "feature". Out here, on rural electric,
you can count on the power being interrupted every time a pigeon lands
on a wire. So, I keep it turned off until I'm ready to use it. The only
way I get to the Internet is through HughesNet. That's country. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 02-04-2011, 03:08 AM
MR ZenWiz

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 7:47 PM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:

> I like mine as well, but it sucks ink like a thirsty mule and any
> electrical glitch causes it to spasm with glee and print off test pages
> that practically douse the page with a goodly amount of ink. I have
> found no way to turn off this "feature". Out here, on rural electric,
> you can count on the power being interrupted every time a pigeon lands
> on a wire. So, I keep it turned off until I'm ready to use it. The only
> way I get to the Internet is through HughesNet. That's country. Ric

So your internet is okay for participating in lists but not for buying
a UPS/BBU with line conditioning?

Hmm....