Old 02-04-2011, 07:26 AM
Ric Moore

Default Choosing a new printer/all-in-one

On Thu, 2011-02-03 at 20:08 -0800, MR ZenWiz wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 7:47 PM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I like mine as well, but it sucks ink like a thirsty mule and any
> > electrical glitch causes it to spasm with glee and print off test pages
> > that practically douse the page with a goodly amount of ink. I have
> > found no way to turn off this "feature". Out here, on rural electric,
> > you can count on the power being interrupted every time a pigeon lands
> > on a wire. So, I keep it turned off until I'm ready to use it. The only
> > way I get to the Internet is through HughesNet. That's country. Ric
> >

> So your internet is okay for participating in lists but not for buying
> a UPS/BBU with line conditioning?

Heh, I killed off the last UPS with the power going down and staying
down long enough for a UPS not to matter much. The battery finally gave
out. Ric
Linux user# 44256

Old 02-04-2011, 08:20 AM
MR ZenWiz

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 12:26 AM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-02-03 at 20:08 -0800, MR ZenWiz wrote:
>>
>> So your internet is okay for participating in lists but not for buying
>> a UPS/BBU with line conditioning?
>
> Heh, I killed off the last UPS with the power going down and staying
> down long enough for a UPS not to matter much. The battery finally gave
> out. Ric

That's why they are stocked with rechargeable batteries, the ones that
recharge when the power comes back. Or did you mean that it happens
so often that the battery failed to recharge? That would take a fair
number of complete discharges, and they're still replaceable....

Old 02-04-2011, 12:51 PM
Billie Walsh

So your internet is okay for participating in lists but not for buying
a UPS/BBU with line conditioning?

Heh, I killed off the last UPS with the power going down and staying
down long enough for a UPS not to matter much. The battery finally gave
out. Ric

That's why they are stocked with rechargeable batteries, the ones that
recharge when the power comes back. Or did you mean that it happens
so often that the battery failed to recharge? That would take a fair
number of complete discharges, and they're still replaceable....

An UPS is supposed to power things long enough to save your work and
shut down properly. Not power it forever.

In our case it's long enough to get the generator started and online.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:15 PM
"Fred A. Miller"