-   -   Choosing a new printer/all-in-one (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/482253-choosing-new-printer-all-one.html)

Leo Noordhuizen 01-28-2011 09:44 AM

Choosing a new printer/all-in-one

In another thread I asked about the support for Canon printers in Linux. Specifically of the iP4500 printer.As it turns out the support isnt as wished for, and as the printer is starting to make 'funny' noises, is getting �a bit old, AND it seems to consume ink like an alcoholic,

It may be time to replace my iP 4500 and Scanjet G3010 (which is taking up too much place for the little use it gets anyway) by one of those All-in-ones...
Now the big questions is which one should I go for....�

My wishlist:Double-sided printing, as silent as possible, with a reasonable speed and of course good qualityOccasionally printing a photoGood Linux support

Occasionally scanning (and possibly printing) (multi-color) textPreferably the scanner use LED instead of the time-consuming older means of lighting the originalOf course low ink cost ( :) )Nice to have: printing on CD and DVD

Canon has a unit which seems to fullfil this list quite nicely, apart from the Linux support, so that wouldnt be my first choice.
Of course there is also the question of availability, price and resulting quality of prints when using third party ink.

I know that the price difference between original and third party ink can be a factor of 3...
Any advice regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

Leo Noordhuizen - The Netherlands