Old 02-05-2008, 09:52 PM
Karl Larsen

Default raw1394 permissions

Alfred JILKA wrote:
> got a short question, which hopefully does not require a too long answer:
> whenever I connect my DV-camera the device-file is recreated with
> permissions 755.
> This is not sufficient for Kino to import data from there.
If your device file is in the /dev directory I know how to fix the
permissions and odd that they are not root.

I have a camera with a USB plug and when I plug it in I see the hard
drive light flicker. I know something is being done. What is the device
name you are seeing. I want to see if my camera is there too.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 02-06-2008, 12:08 AM
Tim Jackson

add your user to the group that owns this device,

Old 02-06-2008, 05:41 AM
Nils Kassube

Alfred JILKA wrote:
> got a short question, which hopefully does not require a too long
> answer: whenever I connect my DV-camera the device-file is recreated
> with permissions 755.
> Now the question: what can be done, so that either the file remains or
> is recreated with
> 777 permissions ?

In the file /etc/udev/rules.d/40-permissions.rules you can setup a rule
for the device in question.

Nils

Old 02-06-2008, 03:51 PM
Alfred JILKA

Nils Kassube schrieb:

Alfred JILKA wrote:

got a short question, which hopefully does not require a too long
answer: whenever I connect my DV-camera the device-file is recreated
with permissions 755.
Now the question: what can be done, so that either the file remains or
is recreated with
777 permissions ?

In the file /etc/udev/rules.d/40-permissions.rules you can setup a rule
for the device in question.

Nils

I'll give it a try. Looks like a promising answer. Thanks for the hint.
I guess I never would have found this place without aid. As soon as I
have success I'll tell you-

Thanks a lot, Alfred

Old 02-09-2008, 08:45 PM
Alfred JILKA

Nils Kassube schrieb:

Alfred JILKA wrote:

got a short question, which hopefully does not require a too long
answer: whenever I connect my DV-camera the device-file is recreated
with permissions 755.
Now the question: what can be done, so that either the file remains or
is recreated with
777 permissions ?

In the file /etc/udev/rules.d/40-permissions.rules you can setup a rule
for the device in question.

Nils

As promised here my solution:

# KERNEL=="raw1394",******************* GROUP="disk"

KERNEL=="raw1394",********************* MODE="777"

As I'm the only one working here, I think this is a safe way to get my
videos without the hassle of chmod into my PC.

Thank you all for the great infos, I learned yet another problem to
solve myself.

Alfred

Old 02-09-2008, 08:56 PM
Karl Larsen

Alfred JILKA wrote:
> Nils Kassube schrieb:
>> Alfred JILKA wrote:
>>
>>> got a short question, which hopefully does not require a too long
>>> answer: whenever I connect my DV-camera the device-file is recreated
>>> with permissions 755.
>>> Now the question: what can be done, so that either the file remains or
>>> is recreated with
>>> 777 permissions ?
>>>

>> In the file /etc/udev/rules.d/40-permissions.rules you can setup a
>> rule for the device in question.
>>

>> Nils
>>

> As promised here my solution:
> # KERNEL=="raw1394", GROUP="disk"
> KERNEL=="raw1394", MODE="777"
>
> As I'm the only one working here, I think this is a safe way to get my
> videos without the hassle of chmod into my PC.
>
> Thank you all for the great infos, I learned yet another problem to
> solve myself.
> Alfred

If you look more close it looks like this:

root@karl-desktop:~# ls -al /dev/video0
crw-rw---- 1 root video 81, 0 2008-02-09 14:05 /dev/video0
root@karl-desktop:~#

Notice the group called video. I think we all blong to that.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 02-09-2008, 09:29 PM
Nils Kassube

Alfred JILKA wrote:
> As promised here my solution:
> # KERNEL=="raw1394", GROUP="disk"
> KERNEL=="raw1394", MODE="777"

Why "777" and not "666"? A device shouldn't be executable.

Nils

Old 02-10-2008, 12:51 PM
Alfred JILKA

Nils Kassube schrieb:

Alfred JILKA wrote:

As promised here my solution:
# KERNEL=="raw1394", GROUP="disk"
KERNEL=="raw1394", MODE="777"

Why "777" and not "666"? A device shouldn't be executable.

Nils

666 is not sufficient for Kino. The reason I also can not understand.
However, after a while of searching around I found this very fact
somewhere in the docs of Kino.

Alfred

Old 02-10-2008, 08:44 PM
Alfred JILKA

Nils Kassube schrieb:

Alfred JILKA wrote:

As promised here my solution:
# KERNEL=="raw1394", GROUP="disk"
KERNEL=="raw1394", MODE="777"

Why "777" and not "666"? A device shouldn't be executable.

Nils

I did not read the docs for quite a while. Maybe they changed something
there. I tried 666 permissions and they also seem to work as expected.

Alfred