-   -   10.04.1 LTS install with RAID support? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/482131-10-04-1-lts-install-raid-support.html)

Steve Malenfant 01-28-2011 12:13 AM

10.04.1 LTS install with RAID support?

I've searched, I've tried and I failed.
How can you install Ubuntu Desktop with 2 drives in RAID-1 using soft RAID? I also want my machine to boot if 1 of the drive fails.

Seems like during the install I can't select a RAID partition. mdadm is not included by default and the alternate version doesn't boot via USB stick.
Anybody got good pointers? Seems like there is a lot of information, but I can't*achieve*to find the proper solution.

Here is what I'm trying to achieve (about) :sda1 -> /bootsda2 -> swapsda3 -> /
sdb1 -> /bootsdb2 -> swap
sdb3 -> /
md0 -> /bootmd1 -> /
I've done this in Centos without a hitch before, but really want to move to something like Ubuntu since that new machine needs the newer kernel to work.

I guess I'll have to get a special CD to make the partition, install the OS and then setup RAID? That seems all backward to me.
Steve

Alan Pope 01-28-2011 12:33 AM

On 28 January 2011 01:13, Steve Malenfant <smalenfant@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've searched, I've tried and I failed.
> How can you install Ubuntu Desktop with 2 drives in RAID-1 using soft RAID?

Two options.

1) Boot from Live USB stick to desktop CD image and once booted to the
desktop issue 'sudo apt-get install mdadm' in a terminal and go
through the RAID configuration manually via the mdadm command. Then
start the installer and install onto the md0 you created.

2) Use unetbootin to make a bootable USB stick out of the alternate or
netinst iso images. Contrary to popular opinion, this does work. I've
got a server at home that was installed from a USB stick made in this
way :)

> I also want my machine to boot if 1 of the drive fails.

You'll need to manually install grub on both disks, and ensure you
keep that up to date when the kernel gets updated.

Cheers,
Al.

Tom H 01-28-2011 01:06 AM

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 8:13 PM, Steve Malenfant <smalenfant@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've searched, I've tried and I failed.
> How can you install Ubuntu Desktop with 2 drives in RAID-1 using soft RAID?
> I also want my machine to boot if 1 of the drive fails.
> Seems like during the install I can't select a RAID partition. mdadm is not
> included by default and the alternate version doesn't boot via USB stick.
> Anybody got good pointers? Seems like there is a lot of information, but I
> can't*achieve*to find the proper solution.
> Here is what I'm trying to achieve (about) :
> sda1 -> /boot
> sda2 -> swap
> sda3 -> /
> sdb1 -> /boot
> sdb2 -> swap
> sdb3 -> /
> md0 -> /boot
> md1 -> /
> I've done this in Centos without a hitch before, but really want to move to
> something like Ubuntu since that new machine needs the newer kernel to work.
> I guess I'll have to get a special CD to make the partition, install the OS
> and then setup RAID? That seems all backward to me.

Use either the server or mini iso.

Steve Malenfant 01-28-2011 01:27 PM

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 9:06 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 8:13 PM, Steve Malenfant <smalenfant@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've searched, I've tried and I failed.

> How can you install Ubuntu Desktop with 2 drives in RAID-1 using soft RAID?

> I also want my machine to boot if 1 of the drive fails.

> Seems like during the install I can't select a RAID partition. mdadm is not

> included by default and the alternate version doesn't boot via USB stick.

> Anybody got good pointers? Seems like there is a lot of information, but I

> can't*achieve*to find the proper solution.

> Here is what I'm trying to achieve (about) :

> sda1 -> /boot

> sda2 -> swap

> sda3 -> /

> sdb1 -> /boot

> sdb2 -> swap

> sdb3 -> /

> md0 -> /boot

> md1 -> /

> I've done this in Centos without a hitch before, but really want to move to

> something like Ubuntu since that new machine needs the newer kernel to work.

> I guess I'll have to get a special CD to make the partition, install the OS

> and then setup RAID? That seems all backward to me.

Use either the server or mini iso.

Well, looks like none of the alternate or server ISO works from a USB flash drive. It always want to load the CD-ROM and I can't find any ways around that. I tried Unetbootin, the USB installer suggested from the Ubuntu site and Lili. None of them wants to go pass the CD-ROM detection. I guess I'll have to find a CD to burn to.
*

Alan Pope 01-28-2011 01:30 PM

On 28 January 2011 14:27, Steve Malenfant <smalenfant@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, looks like none of the alternate or server ISO works from a USB flash
> drive. It always want to load the CD-ROM and I can't find any ways around
> that. I tried Unetbootin, the USB installer suggested from the Ubuntu site
> and Lili. None of them wants to go pass the CD-ROM detection. I guess I'll
> have to find a CD to burn to.

As suggested, try the mini.iso?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD

Cheers,
Al.

Steve Malenfant 01-28-2011 01:38 PM

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 9:30 AM, Alan Pope <popey@ubuntu.com> wrote:

On 28 January 2011 14:27, Steve Malenfant <smalenfant@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, looks like none of the alternate or server ISO works from a USB flash

> drive. It always want to load the CD-ROM and I can't find any ways around

> that. I tried Unetbootin, the USB installer suggested from the Ubuntu site

> and Lili. None of them wants to go pass the CD-ROM detection. I guess I'll

> have to find a CD to burn to.

As suggested, try the mini.iso?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD

Not yet. The problem is that I don't have any writable CD anymore. But I'm now downloading the DVD on bittorent, I got plenty of those. Not sure if the problem is my Shuttle XPC or what. I know its got problem starting the USB when the SATA disk got something on them. I have to flip between RAID and AHCI every time the installer gets me somewhere. Sorry to vent, but I've never had so much issues with installing an OS.
*
Cheers,

Al.

"davem@mich.com" 01-28-2011 02:25 PM

<smalenfant@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, looks like none of the alternate or server
ISO works from a USB flash

> drive. It always want to load the CD-ROM and I
can't find any ways around

> that. I tried Unetbootin, the USB installer
suggested from the Ubuntu site

> and Lili. None of them wants to go pass the CD-ROM
detection. I guess I'll

> have to find a CD to burn to.

>As suggested, try the mini.iso?
>https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD

>Not yet. The problem is that I don't have any
writable CD anymore. But I'm now downloading the DVD
on bittorent, I got plenty of those.

You can burn the ISO for a live CD to a blank DVD and
it will still boot and run, As long as the target
system has a DVD drive that is :)

Dave

Steve Malenfant 01-28-2011 03:00 PM

<smalenfant@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, looks like none of the alternate or server

ISO works from a USB flash

> drive. It always want to load the CD-ROM and I

can't find any ways around

> that. I tried Unetbootin, the USB installer

suggested from the Ubuntu site

> and Lili. None of them wants to go pass the CD-ROM

detection. I guess I'll

> have to find a CD to burn to.

>As suggested, try the mini.iso?

>https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD

>Not yet. The problem is that I don't have any

writable CD anymore. But I'm now downloading the DVD

on bittorent, I got plenty of those.

You can burn the ISO for a live CD to a blank DVD and

it will still boot and run, As long as the target

system has a DVD drive that is :)

Dave

I got myself the DVD downloaded and burned. I didn't know I could burn a CD ISO on a DVD. Its now booting and have the RAID options... Just waiting to learn from my mistake on creating the RAID partition. Would be nice to have a configured these 2 drives in RAID1 and be done with it :)
*

Steve Malenfant 01-28-2011 03:06 PM

<smalenfant@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, looks like none of the alternate or server

ISO works from a USB flash

> drive. It always want to load the CD-ROM and I

can't find any ways around

> that. I tried Unetbootin, the USB installer

suggested from the Ubuntu site

> and Lili. None of them wants to go pass the CD-ROM

detection. I guess I'll

> have to find a CD to burn to.

>As suggested, try the mini.iso?

>https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD

>Not yet. The problem is that I don't have any

writable CD anymore. But I'm now downloading the DVD

on bittorent, I got plenty of those.

You can burn the ISO for a live CD to a blank DVD and

it will still boot and run, As long as the target

system has a DVD drive that is :)

Dave

I got myself the DVD downloaded and burned. I didn't know I could burn a CD ISO on a DVD. Its now booting and have the RAID options... Just waiting to learn from my mistake on creating the RAID partition. Would be nice to have a configured these 2 drives in RAID1 and be done with it :)

*parted_server segfault during the RAID creation :)*

Alan Pope 01-28-2011 03:47 PM

On 28 January 2011 14:38, Steve Malenfant <smalenfant@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not yet. The problem is that I don't have any writable CD anymore.

I specifically meant use the netinst ISO on a usb stick using
unetbootin. I used this last week, and believe you won't get the CD
mount issue because the mini/netinst iso doesn't grab packages from a
local CD repo but from online.

But it looks like you're sorted now :)

Cheers,
Al.