Old 01-28-2011, 04:06 PM
Steve Malenfant

Default 10.04.1 LTS install with RAID support?

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 11:47 AM, Alan Pope <popey@ubuntu.com> wrote:

On 28 January 2011 14:38, Steve Malenfant <smalenfant@gmail.com> wrote:

> Not yet. The problem is that I don't have any writable CD anymore.

I specifically meant use the netinst ISO on a usb stick using

unetbootin. I used this last week, and believe you won't get the CD

mount issue because the mini/netinst iso doesn't grab packages from a

local CD repo but from online.

But it looks like you're sorted now

Sorted, not really. I believe my main problem is that these drives had already an Soft RAID config on them. I'm trying to re-purpose them. But the installation can't remove the RAID configuration. It would be nice to have an option to remove all RAID partitioning before the partitioning happen. Anyway, I tried removing that stuff with Gparted... failed. mdadm --zero-superblock fails. So.. waiting for the long dd -if=/dev/zero on them and hopefully this md2 array won't show up on next install!

Is this supposed to be that complicated?*
Cheers,

Al.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:11 PM
Tom H

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 12:06 PM, Steve Malenfant <smalenfant@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 11:47 AM, Alan Pope <popey@ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> On 28 January 2011 14:38, Steve Malenfant <smalenfant@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>> > Not yet. The problem is that I don't have any writable CD anymore.
>>
>> I specifically meant use the netinst ISO on a usb stick using
>> unetbootin. I used this last week, and believe you won't get the CD
>> mount issue because the mini/netinst iso doesn't grab packages from a
>> local CD repo but from online.
>>
>> But it looks like you're sorted now
>>
> Sorted, not really. I believe my main problem is that these drives had
> already an Soft RAID config on them. I'm trying to re-purpose them. But the
> installation can't remove the RAID configuration. It would be nice to have
> an option to remove all RAID partitioning before the partitioning happen.
> Anyway, I tried removing that stuff with Gparted... failed. mdadm
> --zero-superblock fails. So.. waiting for the long dd -if=/dev/zero on them
> and hopefully this md2 array won't show up on next install!
> Is this supposed to be that complicated?

There's no reason why
mdadm --zero-superblock <every_mdadm_partition>
wouldn't work.

It's definitely the way to go.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:25 PM
Steve Malenfant

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 12:11 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 12:06 PM, Steve Malenfant <smalenfant@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 11:47 AM, Alan Pope <popey@ubuntu.com> wrote:

>> On 28 January 2011 14:38, Steve Malenfant <smalenfant@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Not yet. The problem is that I don't have any writable CD anymore.

>> I specifically meant use the netinst ISO on a usb stick using

>> unetbootin. I used this last week, and believe you won't get the CD

>> mount issue because the mini/netinst iso doesn't grab packages from a

>> local CD repo but from online.

>> But it looks like you're sorted now

> Sorted, not really. I believe my main problem is that these drives had

> already an Soft RAID config on them. I'm trying to re-purpose them. But the

> installation can't remove the RAID configuration. It would be nice to have

> an option to remove all RAID partitioning before the partitioning happen.

> Anyway, I tried removing that stuff with Gparted... failed. mdadm

> --zero-superblock fails. So.. waiting for the long dd -if=/dev/zero on them

> and hopefully this md2 array won't show up on next install!

> Is this supposed to be that complicated?

There's no reason why

mdadm --zero-superblock <every_mdadm_partition>

wouldn't work.

It's definitely the way to go.

I thought it was too.. But there is something you guys didn't know (I didn't either!). Well.. I tried fakeraid with the nvidia MCP... Well, it wrote something on there which dmraid detected... It asked me during the installation if I wanted to load the "SATA RAID". Of course I said "no". But the install detected it anyway. So, to remove you have to do "dmraid -rE". Just something I tried from other forums... Then it told me : Do you want to remove the tag nvidia blabla bla... That's where I knew that Nvidia RAID was interfering even after being disabled.

I'm not out of the woods yet. I created my partitions manually on both drives but the "Configure software RAID" won't bring up my MD RAID1 partition to assign the "/" partition and doesn't show anywhere. I'll try another reboot for that.
*

Old 01-28-2011, 05:40 PM
Steve Malenfant

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 12:25 PM, Steve Malenfant <smalenfant@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 12:11 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 12:06 PM, Steve Malenfant <smalenfant@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 11:47 AM, Alan Pope <popey@ubuntu.com> wrote:

>> On 28 January 2011 14:38, Steve Malenfant <smalenfant@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Not yet. The problem is that I don't have any writable CD anymore.

>> I specifically meant use the netinst ISO on a usb stick using

>> unetbootin. I used this last week, and believe you won't get the CD

>> mount issue because the mini/netinst iso doesn't grab packages from a

>> local CD repo but from online.

>> But it looks like you're sorted now

> Sorted, not really. I believe my main problem is that these drives had

> already an Soft RAID config on them. I'm trying to re-purpose them. But the

> installation can't remove the RAID configuration. It would be nice to have

> an option to remove all RAID partitioning before the partitioning happen.

> Anyway, I tried removing that stuff with Gparted... failed. mdadm

> --zero-superblock fails. So.. waiting for the long dd -if=/dev/zero on them

> and hopefully this md2 array won't show up on next install!

> Is this supposed to be that complicated?

There's no reason why

mdadm --zero-superblock <every_mdadm_partition>

wouldn't work.

It's definitely the way to go.

I thought it was too.. But there is something you guys didn't know (I didn't either!). Well.. I tried fakeraid with the nvidia MCP... Well, it wrote something on there which dmraid detected... It asked me during the installation if I wanted to load the "SATA RAID". Of course I said "no". But the install detected it anyway. So, to remove you have to do "dmraid -rE". Just something I tried from other forums... Then it told me : Do you want to remove the tag nvidia blabla bla... That's where I knew that Nvidia RAID was interfering even after being disabled.

I'm not out of the woods yet. I created my partitions manually on both drives but the "Configure software RAID" won't bring up my MD RAID1 partition to assign the "/" partition and doesn't show anywhere. I'll try another reboot for that.

*
After manually setting up my drives with fdisk, making everything the same, and rebooting again so the installer can re-read the partition it started working. But fore some reason if I manually create the partition with the installer and reboot, it won't take it. It actually created the partition on a non-cylinder boundary.

You have to make sure that when you are setting up the array that there is a "/dev/sda1" mention in the menu, if there isn't it is going to fail without informing you and the raid array will never show up.

Fool proof I guess???
In the end, this is what I had to do :- Get the DVD install (that has everything needed for you to setup an array) because I couldn't get anything but the Desktop install to boot through USB.
- erase the existing arrays with "dmraid -rE".- Create the partitions outside the installer- Reboot- Then configured the Software RAID with the installer.- I haven't tested the "degraded" boot yet.

I'd say it took about 10 hours of my life just because I wanted my this configuration.**

Old 01-28-2011, 06:20 PM
Tom H

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 12:25 PM, Steve Malenfant <smalenfant@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 12:11 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 12:06 PM, Steve Malenfant <smalenfant@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>> > Sorted, not really. I believe my main problem is that these drives had
>> > already an Soft RAID config on them. I'm trying to re-purpose them. But
>> > the
>> > installation can't remove the RAID configuration. It would be nice to
>> > have
>> > an option to remove all RAID partitioning before the partitioning
>> > happen.
>> > Anyway, I tried removing that stuff with Gparted... failed. mdadm
>> > --zero-superblock fails. So.. waiting for the long dd -if=/dev/zero on
>> > them
>> > and hopefully this md2 array won't show up on next install!
>> > Is this supposed to be that complicated?
>>
>> There's no reason why
>> mdadm --zero-superblock <every_mdadm_partition>
>> wouldn't work.
>>
>> It's definitely the way to go.
>>
> I thought it was too.. But there is something you guys didn't know (I didn't
> either!). Well.. I tried fakeraid with the nvidia MCP... Well, it wrote
> something on there which dmraid detected... It asked me during the
> installation if I wanted to load the "SATA RAID". Of course I said "no". But
> the install detected it anyway. So, to remove you have to do "dmraid -rE".
> Just something I tried from other forums... Then it told me : Do you want to
> remove the tag nvidia blabla bla... That's where I knew that Nvidia RAID was
> interfering even after being disabled.
> I'm not out of the woods yet. I created my partitions manually on both
> drives but the "Configure software RAID" won't bring up my MD RAID1
> partition to assign the "/" partition and doesn't show anywhere. I'll try
> another reboot for that.

"There's no reason..."!

When you referred to "Soft RAID" I assumed mdraid not dmraid...

There apparently is: dmraid's involved.

The latest installers are pretty aggressive in using dmraid because
dmraid support's been bad in the past...

dmraid's got a command similar to mdadm's "--zero-superblock";
"--erase-metadata"? (IIRC!)

mdadm can now manage dmraid arrays but I guess not to the extent of
zeroing metadata.

I'm downloading a server iso to install it in a VM because I don't
understand why you couldn't set up mdraid through the installer - and
I don;t see why you have to reboot for an mdraid array to be
recognized by d-i.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:40 PM
Steve Malenfant

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 2:20 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 12:25 PM, Steve Malenfant <smalenfant@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 12:11 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 12:06 PM, Steve Malenfant <smalenfant@gmail.com>

>> wrote:

>> > Sorted, not really. I believe my main problem is that these drives had

>> > already an Soft RAID config on them. I'm trying to re-purpose them. But

>> > the

>> > installation can't remove the RAID configuration. It would be nice to

>> > have

>> > an option to remove all RAID partitioning before the partitioning

>> > happen.

>> > Anyway, I tried removing that stuff with Gparted... failed. mdadm

>> > --zero-superblock fails. So.. waiting for the long dd -if=/dev/zero on

>> > them

>> > and hopefully this md2 array won't show up on next install!

>> > Is this supposed to be that complicated?

>> There's no reason why

>> mdadm --zero-superblock <every_mdadm_partition>

>> wouldn't work.

>> It's definitely the way to go.

> I thought it was too.. But there is something you guys didn't know (I didn't

> either!). Well.. I tried fakeraid with the nvidia MCP... Well, it wrote

> something on there which dmraid detected... It asked me during the

> installation if I wanted to load the "SATA RAID". Of course I said "no". But

> the install detected it anyway. So, to remove you have to do "dmraid -rE".

> Just something I tried from other forums... Then it told me : Do you want to

> remove the tag nvidia blabla bla... That's where I knew that Nvidia RAID was

> interfering even after being disabled.

> I'm not out of the woods yet. I created my partitions manually on both

> drives but the "Configure software RAID" won't bring up my MD RAID1

> partition to assign the "/" partition and doesn't show anywhere. I'll try

> another reboot for that.

"There's no reason..."!

There is because the disk were written by the nvidia MCS and mdadm did recognize but couldn't destroy it. I had to use dmraid to remove the metadata.I don't know... But it is installing slowly and syncing the Array now..
You will probably have no problem with a brand new VM partition like I did here with my 1.5TB drives.*
The reboot was needed between the partionning the hard drive and creating the arrays. The sdaX and sdbX partition were just not available in /dev. Only /dev/sda and /dev/sdb were present. A reboot fixed that.
*

Old 01-28-2011, 08:37 PM
Tom H

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 2:40 PM, Steve Malenfant <smalenfant@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 2:20 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 12:25 PM, Steve Malenfant <smalenfant@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>> > I thought it was too.. But there is something you guys didn't know (I
>> > didn't
>> > either!). Well.. I tried fakeraid with the nvidia MCP... Well, it wrote
>> > something on there which dmraid detected... It asked me during the
>> > installation if I wanted to load the "SATA RAID". Of course I said "no".
>> > But
>> > the install detected it anyway. So, to remove you have to do "dmraid
>> > -rE".
>> > Just something I tried from other forums... Then it told me : Do you
>> > want to
>> > remove the tag nvidia blabla bla... That's where I knew that Nvidia RAID
>> > was
>> > interfering even after being disabled.
>> > I'm not out of the woods yet. I created my partitions manually on both
>> > drives but the "Configure software RAID" won't bring up my MD RAID1
>> > partition to assign the "/" partition and doesn't show anywhere. I'll
>> > try
>> > another reboot for that.
>>
>> "There's no reason..."!
>>
>> When you referred to "Soft RAID" I assumed mdraid not dmraid...
>>
>> There apparently is: dmraid's involved.
>>
>> The latest installers are pretty aggressive in using dmraid because
>> dmraid support's been bad in the past...
>>
>> dmraid's got a command similar to mdadm's "--zero-superblock";
>> "--erase-metadata"? (IIRC!)
>>
>> mdadm can now manage dmraid arrays but I guess not to the extent of
>> zeroing metadata.
>>
>> I'm downloading a server iso to install it in a VM because I don't
>> understand why you couldn't set up mdraid through the installer - and
>> I don;t see why you have to reboot for an mdraid array to be
>> recognized by d-i.

> There is because the disk were written by the nvidia MCS and mdadm did
> recognize but couldn't destroy it. I had to use dmraid to remove the
> metadata.
> I don't know... But it is installing slowly and syncing the Array now..
> You will probably have no problem with a brand new VM partition like I did
> here with my 1.5TB drives.
> The reboot was needed between the partionning the hard drive and creating
> the arrays. The sdaX and sdbX partition were just not available in /dev.
> Only /dev/sda and /dev/sdb were present. A reboot fixed that.

I've just gone through an mdadm install in a VirtualBox VM without a
hitch from the server iso.

Zeroing the metadata should have allowed you to be at the same state
as my blank VM disks! If not, mdadm and/or dmraid are buggy...

Old 01-28-2011, 09:03 PM

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 16:37, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've just gone through an mdadm install in a VirtualBox VM without a
> hitch from the server iso.
>
> Zeroing the metadata should have allowed you to be at the same state
> as my blank VM disks! If not, mdadm and/or dmraid are buggy...

One thing to remember is that some fakeRAID setups store their
metadata near the end of the disk rather than at the beginning, so
that could have been a contributing factor here...

and IIRC, both mdadm and dmraid have issues when the metadata is in
that end-of-disk area instead of toward the beginning where other RAID
setups store their metadata...

Old 01-29-2011, 10:51 AM
Tom H

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 5:03 PM, J <dreadpiratejeff@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 16:37, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I've just gone through an mdadm install in a VirtualBox VM without a
>> hitch from the server iso.
>>
>> Zeroing the metadata should have allowed you to be at the same state
>> as my blank VM disks! If not, mdadm and/or dmraid are buggy...
>
> One thing to remember is that some fakeRAID setups store their
> metadata near the end of the disk rather than at the beginning, so
> that could have been a contributing factor here...
>
> and IIRC, both mdadm and dmraid have issues when the metadata is in
> that end-of-disk area instead of toward the beginning where other RAID
> setups store their metadata...

FOr fdisk or grub1/grub2 to be confused (or to have been confused in
the past), OK (more or less) but for mdraid or dmraid to be confused,
I doubt it.