Old 01-27-2011, 11:39 PM
Albert Wagner

Default dual head using HDMI output on ati radeon 5470

I have Ubuntu 10.10 running on an HP G72 laptop with vga and HDMI
outputs from an ATI Radeon 5470. Dual heads is simple with vga: just
use System->Preferences->Monitors. But, getting anything at all from
the HDMI output is proving to be very difficult.

My digital monitor is an HP 2310e that looks outstanding when driven by
a dvi input on another machine. But it has only digital inputs, no vga.

I would really appreciate feedback from anyone using the Ubuntu Radeon
driver(KMS on is default) as to whether, and how, it can be coerced to
detect the HP 2310e and output through the Radeon 5470 HDMI plug.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:53 PM
MR ZenWiz

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 4:39 PM, Albert Wagner <albertwagner@cox.net> wrote:
> I have Ubuntu 10.10 running on an HP G72 laptop with vga and HDMI *outputs
> from an ATI Radeon 5470. *Dual heads is simple with vga: just use
> System->Preferences->Monitors. *But, getting anything at all from the HDMI
> output is proving to be very difficult.
>
> My digital monitor is an HP 2310e that looks outstanding when driven by a
> dvi input on another machine. *But it has only digital inputs, no vga.
>
> I would really appreciate feedback from anyone using the Ubuntu Radeon
> driver(KMS on is default) as to whether, and how, it can be coerced to
> detect the HP 2310e and output through the Radeon 5470 HDMI plug.

Normally, if your monitor doesn't have an HDMI output you can get a
converter plug for your dvi cable.

You also (usually) need to fiddle with one of the keyboard function
keys that allows you to switch between internal, external and both
monitors (this is often <func><F5>, but ecah laptop is different).

After that, you should be able to use both.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:02 AM
Jared Greenwald

I ran into this previously with an on-board ATI graphics card on a
home-built PC. I'm pretty sure that ATI only allows one of each type
of connection - ie one digital (hdmi/dvi) and one analog (vga). Could
be wrong, but I think that's the issue you're running into.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:13 AM
Albert Wagner

On 01/27/2011 06:53 PM, MR ZenWiz wrote:

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 4:39 PM, Albert Wagner<albertwagner@cox.net> wrote:

I have Ubuntu 10.10 running on an HP G72 laptop with vga and HDMI outputs
from an ATI Radeon 5470. Dual heads is simple with vga: just use
System->Preferences->Monitors. But, getting anything at all from the HDMI
output is proving to be very difficult.

My digital monitor is an HP 2310e that looks outstanding when driven by a
dvi input on another machine. But it has only digital inputs, no vga.

I would really appreciate feedback from anyone using the Ubuntu Radeon
driver(KMS on is default) as to whether, and how, it can be coerced to
detect the HP 2310e and output through the Radeon 5470 HDMI plug.

Normally, if your monitor doesn't have an HDMI output you can get a
converter plug for your dvi cable.

The monitor has all three digital inputs: HDMI, DVI, and DisplayPort.
I is set to accept input from the HDMI.

You also (usually) need to fiddle with one of the keyboard function
keys that allows you to switch between internal, external and both
monitors (this is often<func><F5>, but ecah laptop is different).

After that, you should be able to use both.
I think that it must be F4 on this HP, because there is a little monitor
icon there. I haven't yet hit the correct pattern of multi-keys and timing.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:09 AM
Albert Wagner

On 01/27/2011 07:02 PM, Jared Greenwald wrote:

I ran into this previously with an on-board ATI graphics card on a
home-built PC. I'm pretty sure that ATI only allows one of each type
of connection - ie one digital (hdmi/dvi) and one analog (vga). Could
be wrong, but I think that's the issue you're running into.
Yes, I have one of each type HDMI and vga. I can get a vga signal out
of the vga port, but I can get only scrolling lines from the HDMI.