Old 01-27-2011, 04:32 PM
don fisher

Default Strange response with emacs

There is a difference in the way the same version of emacs runs on 9.10
and 10.10. In 9.10, the space bar moves the cursor one the width of one
character. In 10.10, the space bar moves the character the width of 1/2
of a character. This destroys my formatting.

I installed emacs_23.1+1-4ubuntu2+22.2+0ubuntu6.2_all.deb on both
machines, believing that they would behave the same. Does anybody have
an idea as to what else might be different?

If this is the wrong list, please suggest an alternative.

Thanks

Old 01-27-2011, 06:45 PM
don fisher

don fisher wrote:
There is a difference in the way the same version of emacs runs on 9.10
and 10.10. In 9.10, the space bar moves the cursor one the width of one
character. In 10.10, the space bar moves the character the width of 1/2
of a character. This destroys my formatting.

I installed emacs_23.1+1-4ubuntu2+22.2+0ubuntu6.2_all.deb on both
machines, believing that they would behave the same. Does anybody have
an idea as to what else might be different?

If this is the wrong list, please suggest an alternative.

I guess it was the font. They must have "fixed" the fonts between 9.10
and 10.10. If I run emacs like:

emacs -fn 7x14

it works as desired. I would like to understand how the fonts are put
together. This should be pretty basic stuff.