-   -   GNU GPL (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/481924-gnu-gpl.html)

Ali Hassan 01-27-2011 03:56 PM

GNU GPL

Dear All,

I want to admit I do not understand completely the process of non-profit software development. As result, I do not understand if my proposal falls into this process. I am a PhD student in France. I have proposed a very good "from my point of view" model for developing mobile systems. As validation,I want to implement a specific application utilizing this model.

I already started that, however, it will take very long time if I am the only one who writes and debugs the code.

Are the programmer who contribute in the free software development, are they potential candidates to contribute in this application??

The application can be posted on the Internet, and be used by all people who want to, like any Linux application.

Thanks for your suggestions,
ali

Wagner Sales 01-27-2011 04:45 PM

GNU GPL

Hi Ali,
The fact you are developing an open source app can help you to get contributors. But I think this is not the best place to ask by this. Here are developers, like me, but are intended to Ubuntu users.*
Some steps you can follow: select a base to develop ( libraries, os, and so on ). For example, you can develop using Qt from Nokia. With this choice, you will in touch with a large development comunity. Then, start you project, post the code and documentation in a common repository ( SourceForge, gitorious, github, etc ) and let the community know about your project. You can do this by the lists about application announce, that's exists for various platforms, or simply posting in the development list. In Qt ( I'm a Qt fan, and I have some years of experience on Qt ), for example, you can do this by using the qt-interest list. Of course, you can explain your project in a way that's atracts more developers and explain the needs for help. If you go with Qt, I'm on qt-interest list, and you can send a mail and cc me directly, you be very happy in introduce you the firsts steps.

Regards,
Wagner Sales

devicerandom 01-27-2011 05:45 PM

GNU GPL

I want to admit I do not understand completely the process of non-profit
software development.

What do you not understand?

Remember that open source/free software do *not* mean non-profit (even
if often the two things overlap). GNU GPL explicitly allows for
commercialization of the software.

Do your read about what Free Software means, what Open Source means etc.
The Internet is full of information on that. Just fire up google and
read -Wikipedia is a decent start as well. Be careful before choosing a
licence for your project.

m.

Ric Moore 01-27-2011 11:57 PM

GNU GPL

On Thu, 2011-01-27 at 16:56 +0000, Ali Hassan wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I want to admit I do not understand completely the process of
> non-profit software development. As result, I do not understand if my
> proposal falls into this process. I am a PhD student in France. I have
> proposed a very good "from my point of view" model for developing
> mobile systems. As validation,I want to implement a specific
> application utilizing this model.
>
> I already started that, however, it will take very long time if I am
> the only one who writes and debugs the code.
>
> Are the programmer who contribute in the free software development,
> are they potential candidates to contribute in this application??
>
> The application can be posted on the Internet, and be used by all
> people who want to, like any Linux application.
>
> Thanks for your suggestions,
> ali

First of all, to EVERYONE! This is an example of the message text being
inside a box/cell that I rant about. Just try to reply and middle post
to it, it can't be done. To Ali, get rid of that Yahoo Mail piece of
@#$% junk service. Gmail is good and free and doesn't crud up your email
with "features". Select text mode in your Gmail setup. It just works. My
boss is tied in with this and I ~loathe~ it. <spits> You'll never make
it off the ground with that between you and collaborators. They'll go
crazy in short order and disappear. Ali, since you're not on the
receiving end of your email, you don't know. But, I wish Yahoo would
just die somewhere awful, the stupid inane no-good bums. Yeah, that's
how I REALLY feel! Yahoo! You! Suck! Big! Time!

~Whew!~

...that off of my chest, read the GPL and use that text file in your
distribution and you're covered. Easy. As Eric Raymond points out in his
tome: "The Cathedral and the Bazaar", those who have interest in what
you do will join in. Those are the people you want. You cannot get
people any other way that will prove to be as useful. You might wish to
put you project somewhere like SourceForge or similar. Then everyone can
spot it and join or not. Again, the ones that you want are the ones that
join in. Ric

p/s sorry for the rant, but what I've been railing against before is now
made plain. Does anyone know how to get rid of that text box?

Linux user# 44256

Doug 01-28-2011 12:34 AM

GNU GPL

/snip/

Gmail is good and free and doesn't crud up your email with "features".
Select text mode in your Gmail setup. It just works.

My boss is tied in with this and I ~loathe~ it.<spits> You'll never make
it off the ground with that between you and collaborators. They'll go
crazy in short order and disappear. Ali, since you're not on the
receiving end of your email, you don't know.

/snip/

Several folks have complained on this and other lists, that they don't know
if their mail is being received on the list, _because Gmail deletes those
messages_ from the "received" mail. So Ali would not be on the receiving
end of his mail on Gmail either! For this and a couple of other reasons, I
would never use Gmail.

--doug

MR ZenWiz 01-28-2011 12:44 AM

GNU GPL

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 5:34 PM, Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:
> /snip/
> * *Gmail is good and free and doesn't crud up your email with "features".
> * *Select text mode in your Gmail setup. It just works.
>
>> My boss is tied in with this and I ~loathe~ it.<spits> *You'll never make
>> it off the ground with that between you and collaborators. They'll go
>> crazy in short order and disappear. Ali, since you're not on the
>> receiving end of your email, you don't know.
>
> /snip/
> Several folks have complained on this and other lists, that they don't know
> if their mail is being received on the list, _because Gmail deletes those
> messages_ from the "received" mail. *So Ali would not be on the receiving
> end of his mail on Gmail either! *For this and a couple of other reasons, I
> would never use Gmail.

I've never had a problem with this and I've been a huge gmail fan
since Yahoo decided to deactivate my primary id four years ago and
cost me control of most of my Yahoo groups and about 160GB of email.

However, Ric, you may get your wish - Yahoo announced yesterday (I
think) that they are downsizing by 1% (after already having downsized
by about 5% not too long ago). I used to like Yahoo, and I'll work
with it when I have to, but I avoid it wherever I can.

Them's my $0.02.

NoOp 01-28-2011 01:17 AM

GNU GPL

On 01/27/2011 04:57 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-01-27 at 16:56 +0000, Ali Hassan wrote:
>> Dear All,
>>
>> I want to admit I do not understand completely the process of
>> non-profit software development. As result, I do not understand if my
[snipped]

> First of all, to EVERYONE! This is an example of the message text being
> inside a box/cell that I rant about. Just try to reply and middle post
> to it, it can't be done.

[Snip remainder of rant.]

What on earth are you going on about? The only thing I see with the OP's
post is lack of line wrap & a Ctrl-r resolves that when replying.

Get a decent news/mail reader and you should have no problem replying to
the OP.

Liam Proven 01-28-2011 12:00 PM

GNU GPL

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 12:57 AM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-01-27 at 16:56 +0000, Ali Hassan wrote:
>> Dear All,
>>
>> I want to admit I do not understand completely the process of
>> non-profit software development. [...]
>>

> First of all, to EVERYONE! This is an example of the message text being
> inside a box/cell that I rant about. Just try to reply and middle post
> to it, it can't be done.

Eh? What are you talking about? Yes, it can; note that I have done it.
You're on Gmail, as I am. It works perfectly well, although for best
results, I recommend that you click on "Plain text" before you reply,
which strips out all the formatting.

Ric, don't confuse the chap with completely offtopic commentary which
is nothing to do with his actual question when the problem is that you
don't know how to use Gmail properly while you're evangelising it.

Liam Proven 01-28-2011 12:02 PM

GNU GPL

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 2:17 AM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 01/27/2011 04:57 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
>> On Thu, 2011-01-27 at 16:56 +0000, Ali Hassan wrote:
>>> Dear All,
>>>
>>> I want to admit I do not understand completely the process of
>>> non-profit software development. As result, I do not understand if my
> [snipped]
>>
>> First of all, to EVERYONE! This is an example of the message text being
>> inside a box/cell that I rant about. Just try to reply and middle post
>> to it, it can't be done.
>
> [Snip remainder of rant.]
>
> What on earth are you going on about? The only thing I see with the OP's
> post is lack of line wrap & a Ctrl-r resolves that when replying.

Exactly. But then you go too far:

> Get a decent news/mail reader and you should have no problem replying to
> the OP.

He doesn't need one. He just needs to know how to operate the one he
has, and you need to learn not to leap in and advocate unnecessary
change.

Everyone, can we please steady on?

Liam Proven 01-28-2011 12:04 PM

GNU GPL

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 1:34 AM, Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:
> /snip/
>
> * *Gmail is good and free and doesn't crud up your email with "features".
> * *Select text mode in your Gmail setup. It just works.
>
>> My boss is tied in with this and I ~loathe~ it.<spits> *You'll never make
>> it off the ground with that between you and collaborators. They'll go
>> crazy in short order and disappear. Ali, since you're not on the
>> receiving end of your email, you don't know.
>
> /snip/
>
> Several folks have complained on this and other lists, that they don't know
> if their mail is being received on the list, _because Gmail deletes those
> messages_ from the "received" mail.

*Sigh*

No, it doesn't. Please do not spread FUD when you clearly don't know
the exact details of what you're complaining about.

Gmail does not show you messages *from yourself* /until/ someone
replies to them. That's all. It does not delete anything and your
outgoing messages are still right there in your Sent folder.

No, I don't like the behaviour, but it doesn't delete anything.