Old 01-30-2011, 08:18 AM
Dotan Cohen

Default GNU GPL

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 09:26, Ali Hassan <alihuco@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Three days ago I sent email about collaboration under GNU GPL mentality. Only one answer respected the topic. Tens of answers created a stream about how Gmail is great. I use the system I like, and you are free not to use it. I think a lot of people are mislead by this strange deviation of the subject.

Hi Ali, I just now saw your mail to the list.

From your description it seems that you want to make the code of your
application available to others, in the hope of attracting developers.
That very closely matches one of the ideas of "Open Source" or "Free
Software", abbreviated commonly as FOSS. As you already know, Ubuntu
is licensed with a FOSS license. There are many FOSS licenses, the
most common seem to be the GPL and MIT licenses. The GPL license means
that others can copy, change, and redistribute your work freely, so
long and their changes are also GPL. The MIT license is like the GPL
but those who redistribute your code can do so without making the
source available or even giving any acknowledgement of you.

The first step to making your code available to others is to host it
somewhere accessible, so that others can get to it. Mentioned in an
earlier thread were Sourceforge.net, and I also recommend it.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 01-30-2011, 07:00 PM
Ric Moore

On Sun, 2011-01-30 at 00:04 +0000, Liam Proven wrote:

> I don't like the functionality either - I think it's a dumb idea - but
> claiming that it is something different or that something is occurring
> that is not is unhelpful, unproductive and in the end untrue.

It might serve to prevent duplicates from being dumped on you? I
remember in the old days that there were times when we'd get hit with a
bunch of "dupes". I dunno, I'm no sendmail expert. I took the class for
a week and still managed to fail the final last exercise. <g>

But, with gmail, all you need to do is to set your profile to send you
copies of what you send. I don't do it as I'd wind up with more mail to
store. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 01-30-2011, 08:21 PM
Ric Moore

On Sun, 2011-01-30 at 11:18 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 09:26, Ali Hassan <alihuco@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > Dear All,
> >
> > Three days ago I sent email about collaboration under GNU GPL mentality. Only one answer respected the topic. Tens of answers created a stream about how Gmail is great. I use the system I like, and you are free not to use it. I think a lot of people are mislead by this strange deviation of the subject.
> >

> Hi Ali, I just now saw your mail to the list.
>
> >From your description it seems that you want to make the code of your
> application available to others, in the hope of attracting developers.
> That very closely matches one of the ideas of "Open Source" or "Free
> Software", abbreviated commonly as FOSS. As you already know, Ubuntu
> is licensed with a FOSS license. There are many FOSS licenses, the
> most common seem to be the GPL and MIT licenses. The GPL license means
> that others can copy, change, and redistribute your work freely, so
> long and their changes are also GPL. The MIT license is like the GPL
> but those who redistribute your code can do so without making the
> source available or even giving any acknowledgement of you.
>
> The first step to making your code available to others is to host it
> somewhere accessible, so that others can get to it. Mentioned in an
> earlier thread were Sourceforge.net, and I also recommend it.

That was my recommendation, along with the rant abut the text box, as I
could not address individual points within his post, by middle posting.
Since the OP, I assume, is unfamiliar with open source projects, a
successful one will have emails tossed hither and yon, back and forth,
refining ideas, concepts and code. And, without being able to middle
post from the get-go, that would be an immediate problem to address.

At least that was my rationale/advice. I still hate Yahoo.
<chuckles> Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 02-01-2011, 05:23 PM
devicerandom

Three days ago I sent email about collaboration under GNU GPL mentality.
Only one answer respected the topic. Tens of answers created a stream
about how Gmail is great. I use the system I like, and you are free not
to use it. I think a lot of people are mislead by this strange deviation
of the subject.

Yes, the thread hijacking was ugly. However I've seen at least *three*
proper answers to your question -plus mine. Have you read them, and what
do you think about / what clarification do you need?

Old 02-01-2011, 09:15 PM
Ali Hassan

> Yes, the thread hijacking was ugly. However I've seen at least *three*
> proper answers to your question -plus mine. Have you read them, and what
> do you think about / what clarification do you need?

Yes I have seen the answers, and I am thankful for you and who responded. Based on these suggestions I checked sourceforge where I need to lunch the project.

Thanks,
ali