Old 01-27-2011, 09:46 AM
Tapas Mishra

Default what software should I use to create animation and mathematical lectures

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 3:46 PM, Alan Pope <popey@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On 27 January 2011 10:05, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Someone among my superiors wants to create some thing similar to the
>> video on above link *and has asked me what software can they use to do
>> the same.The purpose is to create educational content only.Which can
>> have the demonstrations (animations ) and audio also running in
>> backend of the subject such as Maths or Finance in question. I am not
>> clear as what software can be used for this on Linux or Windows. *I
>> have users which use Windows and Linux both.
>>

> At a guess the guy in that video is using some kind of tablet, like
> those made by Wacom. You could achieve the same result by opening GIMP
> (or other paint program) and using a screen recording program (like
> gtk-recordmydesktop in Linux and Camtasia on windows) to record a
> region of the screen and the audio.

I did not get your point exactly.I used gtk-recordmydesktop but the
font size and type of text which appear on the video
for example the Camtasia has here

http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia/assets/videos/win/7/customer-videos/mathtrain.asp?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=prettyphoto&iframe=true&width=100%&height=10 0%

the kind of text which you see in this link for example the letters a
,b,c etc which appear on the link I said can not be typed by key
board.So how do you achieve the same in Camtesia or
gtk-recordmydesktop either and the kind of animation happening.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:50 AM
Alan Pope

You missed the bit where I said:-

"At a guess the guy in that video is using some kind of tablet, like
those made by Wacom."

It's a pen and tablet combination. He writes _not_ types on the wacom
tablet, and what he writes appears on the screen. It's a
hardware/software solution, not software only.

Al.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:56 AM
Tapas Mishra

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 4:20 PM, Alan Pope <popey@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On 27 January 2011 10:46, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I did not get your point exactly.I used gtk-recordmydesktop but the
>> font size and type of text which appear on the video
>> for example the Camtasia has here
>>
>> http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia/assets/videos/win/7/customer-videos/mathtrain.asp?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=prettyphoto&iframe=true&width=100%&height=10 0%
>>
>> the kind of text which you see in this link for example the letters a
>> ,b,c etc which appear on the link I said can not be typed by key
>> board.So how do you achieve the same in Camtesia or
>> gtk-recordmydesktop either and the kind of animation happening.
>>

> You missed the bit where I said:-
>
> "At a guess the guy in that video is using some kind of tablet, like
> those made by Wacom."
>
> It's a pen and tablet combination. He writes _not_ types on the wacom
> tablet, and what he writes appears on the screen. It's a
> hardware/software solution, not software only.
>
> Al.
Ok thanks for this information I will look for this direction.Also in
case any one reading the thread has some more idea let me know.
--
Thanks
Tapas

Old 01-27-2011, 10:31 AM
Basil Chupin

On 27/01/2011 21:50, Alan Pope wrote:

[...]

Why not ask A. Jorge Garcia, aka "calcpage", as he has been recording
his lectures and posting them on YouTube?

BC

--
Left to themselves, things tend to go from bad to worse.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:45 AM
Alan Pope

On 27 January 2011 11:31, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> Why not ask A. Jorge Garcia, aka "calcpage", as he has been recording his
> lectures and posting them on YouTube?

Or look at the Khan Academy FAQ

http://www.khanacademy.org/about#faq

"What equipment do you use to make your videos?
I use Camtasia Recorder ($200) + SmoothDraw3(Free) + a Wacom Bamboo
Tablet ($80) on a PC. I used to use ScreenVideoRecorder($20) and
Microsoft Paint (Free)."

Al.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:12 AM
Basil Chupin

On 27/01/2011 22:45, Alan Pope wrote:

On 27 January 2011 11:31, Basil Chupin<blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:

Why not ask A. Jorge Garcia, aka "calcpage", as he has been recording his
lectures and posting them on YouTube?

Or look at the Khan Academy FAQ

http://www.khanacademy.org/about#faq

"What equipment do you use to make your videos?
I use Camtasia Recorder ($200) + SmoothDraw3(Free) + a Wacom Bamboo
Tablet ($80) on a PC. I used to use ScreenVideoRecorder($20) and
Microsoft Paint (Free)."

Al.

No, no, nothing to do with khanacademy :-) .

Jorge is a lecturer in maths and computer science at some college in the US.

He signs his emails with this:

A. Jorge Garcia
Applied Math and CompSci
http://shadowfaxrant.blogspot.com
http://www.youtube.com/calcpage2009

and he uses Linux for this videos as shown here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dccDwJ9NOVs

His last post here was on 25 January re Mounting an ISO.

BC

--
Left to themselves, things tend to go from bad to worse.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:24 AM
Alan Pope

On 27 January 2011 12:12, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> No, no, nothing to do with khanacademy :-) .

The reason I mentioned Khan Academy is because the OP (Tapas)
specifically wanted to know who to do that type of video, with hand
written notes.

> Jorge is a lecturer in maths and computer science at some college in the US.

That's great, but his videos aren't the style that what the OP was after.

Cheers,
Al.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:49 PM
Tapas Mishra

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 5:54 PM, Alan Pope <popey@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On 27 January 2011 12:12, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:
>> No, no, nothing to do with khanacademy :-) .
>>

> The reason I mentioned Khan Academy is because the OP (Tapas)
> specifically wanted to know who to do that type of video, with hand
> written notes.
>
>> Jorge is a lecturer in maths and computer science at some college in the US.
>>

> That's great, but his videos aren't the style that what the OP was after.
>
> Cheers,
> Al.
>
> --
Hi thanks all I got your points.
I have to give this information to some one who themselves have not
looked at FAQ and asked me.