-   -   Postfix removal - yikes (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/481690-postfix-removal-yikes.html)

Nick Edwards 01-27-2011 02:37 AM

Postfix removal - yikes

The following packages will be REMOVED:
* lsb lsb-core lsb-cxx lsb-desktop lsb-graphics lsb-languages lsb-multimedia lsb-printing mailx postfix

I am going to use another non-debian (no repo) mail system so I need to remove postfix, can someone offer hint on how to do this

without losing all the other files as well?*

crazy to remove mailx since a system can send mail without postfix or sendmail, exim, et al.

nicky

Tom H 01-30-2011 08:36 AM

Postfix removal - yikes

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 2:57 AM, Nick Edwards <nick.z.edwards@gmail.com> wrote:

> bump
>
> On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 1:37 PM, Nick Edwards <nick.z.edwards@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>> * lsb lsb-core lsb-cxx lsb-desktop lsb-graphics lsb-languages
>> lsb-multimedia lsb-printing mailx postfix
>>
>> I am going to use another non-debian (no repo) mail system so I need to
>> remove postfix, can someone offer hint on how to do this
>> without losing all the other files as well?
>>
>> crazy to remove mailx since a system can send mail without postfix or
>> sendmail, exim, et al.

For mailx you should be able to use "-o
Apt::AutoRemove::SuggestsImportant" with apt-get/aptitude.

Nick Edwards 01-31-2011 06:09 AM

Postfix removal - yikes

Hi, thanks but it still offered the same packages to remove.

Tom H 01-31-2011 06:35 AM

Postfix removal - yikes

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 2:09 AM, Nick Edwards <nick.z.edwards@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 7:36 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:

>> For mailx you should be able to use "-o
>> Apt::AutoRemove::SuggestsImportant" with apt-get/aptitude.
>
> Hi, thanks but it still offered the same packages to remove.

You're welcome.

Just googled and that both "Apt::AutoRemove::SuggestsImportant" and
"Aptitude::Suggests-Important" are apparently obsolete.

Please try "Aptitude::Keep-Suggests" and/or
"Aptitude::Keep-Recommends" with aptitude (although I'm pretty sure
that mailx is a suggestion).

NoOp 01-31-2011 05:23 PM

Postfix removal - yikes

On 01/26/2011 07:37 PM, Nick Edwards wrote:
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
> lsb lsb-core lsb-cxx lsb-desktop lsb-graphics lsb-languages lsb-multimedia
> lsb-printing mailx postfix
>
> I am going to use another non-debian (no repo) mail system so I need to
> remove postfix, can someone offer hint on how to do this
> without losing all the other files as well?
>
> crazy to remove mailx since a system can send mail without postfix or
> sendmail, exim, et al.
>
> nicky

$ apt-cache show mailx
Package: mailx
This dummy package is provided to smooth the upgrade from mailx to
bsd-mailx and can be safely removed afterwards.

It's a dummy package, so I don't think it should have any effect.

$ apt-cache showpkg mailx
Package: mailx
Versions:
1:20081101-2ubuntu1 (/var/lib/dpkg/status)
Description Language:
File: /var/lib/dpkg/status
MD5: 8df361523bfb85feb69da5b63a3139a5

Reverse Depends:
mysql-server-5.1,mailx
smartmontools,mailx
sharutils,mailx
nagios3-common,mailx
mysql-server-5.1,mailx
lsb-core,mailx
logrotate,mailx
exim4-base,mailx
devscripts,mailx
bsd-mailx,mailx 1:20071201
bsd-mailx,mailx 1:20071201
bacula-director-common,mailx
wims,mailx
uucp,mailx
tua,mailx
sxid,mailx
sn,mailx
psad,mailx
mysql-cluster-server-5.1,mailx
mpt-status,mailx
mirror,mailx
mini-buildd-common,mailx
ltp-commands-test,mailx
integrit,mailx
icinga-common,mailx
hylafax-server,mailx
heirloom-mailx,mailx 1:20071201
gridengine-common,mailx
gnumed-server,mailx
fwanalog,mailx
fcheck,mailx
fail2ban,mailx
cron-apt,mailx
backupninja,mailx
apticron,mailx
amanda-server,mailx
amanda-common,mailx
Dependencies:
1:20081101-2ubuntu1 - bsd-mailx (0 (null))
Provides:
1:20081101-2ubuntu1 -
Reverse Provides:
bsd-mailx 8.1.2-0.20100314cvs-1
mailutils 1:2.1+dfsg1-6
heirloom-mailx 12.4-2

$ sudo apt-get remove -s mailx
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
mailx
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Remv mailx [1:20081101-2ubuntu1]

Do the same for postfix (use the '-s' to simulate the removal) to see
exactly what the result will be.

Tom H 01-31-2011 08:41 PM

Postfix removal - yikes

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 1:23 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 01/26/2011 07:37 PM, Nick Edwards wrote:
>> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>> * lsb lsb-core lsb-cxx lsb-desktop lsb-graphics lsb-languages lsb-multimedia
>> lsb-printing mailx postfix
>>
>> I am going to use another non-debian (no repo) mail system so I need to
>> remove postfix, can someone offer hint on how to do this
>> without losing all the other files as well?
>>
>> crazy to remove mailx since a system can send mail without postfix or
>> sendmail, exim, et al.
>
> It's a dummy package, so I don't think it should have any effect.

When I ran "aptitude remove postfix", bsd-mailx (not virtual and
necessary for the OP's purposes) was meant to be removed too - except
for the fact that aptitude's resolver has another solution.