FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-27-2011, 12:45 AM
Liam Proven
 
Default Restoring legacy components

This is probably a stupid question, but hey...

Is it possible to manually re-install components that Ubuntu has
abandoned and moved away from?

E.g., the old splash screen. I don't like Plymouth. On my machines
where it works, there is a long, pregnant pause before it kicks in,
followed by a very short splash screen with 4 dots that tell you
nothing about how far bootup has progressed. I'd like the old one
back, with an actual useful, informative progress bar.

Secondly, HAL. It worked very well for some things. I use certain
machines that worked fine with Ubuntu 8.x and 9.x and don't work any
more. E.g. the MSI Wind All-in-One machines, whose touchscreen worked
fine in 9.04 but doesn't work right any more.

(By the same token, my home server, a Dell PowerEdge 600SC, boots and
runs Ubuntu Server 8.04 fine, but >=9.04 won't boot. You have to
install the old version and then do an in-place upgrade; 9.04, 9.10,
10.04 and 10.10 won't boot. It's a documented problem but nobody seems
to care.

--
Liam Proven • Info & profile: http://www.google.com/profiles/lproven
Email: lproven@cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven@gmail.com
Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884 • Fax: + 44 870-9151419
AIM/Yahoo/Skype: liamproven • MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-27-2011, 02:12 AM
"Goh Lip"
 
Default Restoring legacy components

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 09:45:15 +0800, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:


This is probably a stupid question, but hey...


Heh heh heh....
Liam, I don't have issues with HAL or its replacement and I don't use 9.04
(too much problems with KDE4.0) so I'll skip that and let others reply,
but I'll comment on the splash....




Is it possible to manually re-install components that Ubuntu has
abandoned and moved away from?

E.g., the old splash screen. I don't like Plymouth. On my machines
where it works, there is a long, pregnant pause before it kicks in,
followed by a very short splash screen with 4 dots that tell you
nothing about how far bootup has progressed. I'd like the old one
back, with an actual useful, informative progress bar.


There is no need to do re-install or modify any component; just remove the
"splash" on the linux line of the grub menu entry and that's it. Also note
some people want to see the progress/systems loading and for that, you can
also remove the "quiet" too.


Regards - Goh Lip


I used to have an open mind,
but my brains kept falling out.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-27-2011, 02:47 AM
MR ZenWiz
 
Default Restoring legacy components

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 7:12 PM, Goh Lip <g.lip@gmx.com> wrote:
:
>
> There is no need to do re-install or modify any component; just remove the
> "splash" on the linux line of the grub menu entry and that's it. Also note
> some people want to see the progress/systems loading and for that, you can
> also remove the "quiet" too.
>

How does one do that with grub 2? I poked around in the /etc/grub.d
files and thought I'd eliminated the "quiet" but that didn't work and
I couldn't find "splash" anywhere that made sense.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-27-2011, 02:55 AM
Goh Lip
 
Default Restoring legacy components

On 01/27/2011 11:47 AM, MR ZenWiz wrote:

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 7:12 PM, Goh Lip<g.lip@gmx.com> wrote:
:


There is no need to do re-install or modify any component; just remove the
"splash" on the linux line of the grub menu entry and that's it. Also note
some people want to see the progress/systems loading and for that, you can
also remove the "quiet" too.



How does one do that with grub 2? I poked around in the /etc/grub.d
files and thought I'd eliminated the "quiet" but that didn't work and
I couldn't find "splash" anywhere that made sense.



Did you do "sudo update-grub" after that?

Regards - Goh Lip

--
Life is a sexually transmitted disease with a 100% mortality rate.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-27-2011, 03:02 AM
Goh Lip
 
Default Restoring legacy components

On 01/27/2011 11:55 AM, Goh Lip wrote:

On 01/27/2011 11:47 AM, MR ZenWiz wrote:

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 7:12 PM, Goh Lip<g.lip@gmx.com> wrote:
:


There is no need to do re-install or modify any component; just
remove the
"splash" on the linux line of the grub menu entry and that's it. Also
note
some people want to see the progress/systems loading and for that,
you can
also remove the "quiet" too.



How does one do that with grub 2? I poked around in the /etc/grub.d
files and thought I'd eliminated the "quiet" but that didn't work and
I couldn't find "splash" anywhere that made sense.



Did you do "sudo update-grub" after that?



Oh, need to go to /etc/default/grub not /etc/grub.d
Again, don't forget to update-grub.
Sorry, was on another OS and I don't change anything (much) on grub.

Regards - Goh Lip


--
Life is a sexually transmitted disease with a 100% mortality rate.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-27-2011, 05:20 AM
Tom H
 
Default Restoring legacy components

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 10:55 PM, Goh Lip <g.lip@gmx.com> wrote:
> On 01/27/2011 11:47 AM, MR ZenWiz wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 7:12 PM, Goh Lip<g.lip@gmx.com> *wrote:
>>>
>>> There is no need to do re-install or modify any component; just remove
>>> the "splash" on the linux line of the grub menu entry and that's it. Also
>>> note some people want to see the progress/systems loading and for
>>> that, you can also remove the "quiet" too.
>>
>> How does one do that with grub 2? *I poked around in the /etc/grub.d
>> files and thought I'd eliminated the "quiet" but that didn't work and
>> I couldn't find "splash" anywhere that made sense.
>
> Did you do "sudo update-grub" after that?

Remove "splash" (and possibly "quiet") from "/etc/default/grub" and
run "update-grub"; don't make changes to the scripts in "/etc/grub.d".

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-27-2011, 11:27 PM
MR ZenWiz
 
Default Restoring legacy components

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 10:20 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 10:55 PM, Goh Lip <g.lip@gmx.com> wrote:
>>
>> Did you do "sudo update-grub" after that?
>
> Remove "splash" (and possibly "quiet") from "/etc/default/grub" and
> run "update-grub"; don't make changes to the scripts in "/etc/grub.d".
>

Ah - thanks. After I figure out what clobbered my gdm with the latest
kernel update (probably the nvidia driver) I'll look into that, too.
Can't get to it until later tonight....

Thanks.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-28-2011, 11:51 AM
Liam Proven
 
Default Restoring legacy components

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 3:12 AM, Goh Lip <g.lip@gmx.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 09:45:15 +0800, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> This is probably a stupid question, but hey...
>
> Heh heh heh....
> Liam, I don't have issues with HAL or its replacement and I don't use 9.04
> (too much problems with KDE4.0) so I'll skip that and let others reply, but
> I'll comment on the splash....

I have been trying KDE again in the last couple of days. So many
people on Sounder say it's better than GNOME.

I installed a fresh copy of the latest SUSE, OpenSUSE 11.3, on a spare PC.

It's sluggish, but then, I have long felt SUSE was rather lardy...

But recent playing-around with PC-BSD 8.1 led me to think that one of
my niggles with KDE4 had gone away: that horrible floating "desktop"
window. KDE 4.5 in PC-BSD has actual desktop icons, finally restoring
basic 1984-level functionality to KDE4.

Not on OpenSUSE, though.

Is it possible to set KDE4 to show icons on the actual bl$%dy desktop
and not in some wretched floating plasmoid
sort-of-filer-window-but-not-quite thing? I do not like all the cr$ppy
floating gadgets or plasmoids or plasmids or whatever they're called -
frankly, I'd like to just turn them off altogether, but I don't think
that's possible. The default icon theme in SUSE KDE 4.4 is also crass,
ugly and as childishly amateur-looking as ever, but that is probably
fixable.

I Googled it but the advice - pretty poorly-worded and vague as it was
- said right-click in various places and then to either choose menus
that don't exist or to go into a dialog box and choose options that
don't exist.

I'd like to like KDE, honest I would. I was a big fan of KDE1. But 4
just repels me on sight.

>> Is it possible to manually re-install components that Ubuntu has
>> abandoned and moved away from?
>>
>> E.g., the old splash screen. I don't like Plymouth. On my machines
>> where it works, there is a long, pregnant pause before it kicks in,
>> followed by a very short splash screen with 4 dots that tell you
>> nothing about how far bootup has progressed. I'd like the old one
>> back, with an actual useful, informative progress bar.
>
> There is no need to do re-install or modify any component; just remove the
> "splash" on the linux line of the grub menu entry and that's it. Also note
> some people want to see the progress/systems loading and for that, you can
> also remove the "quiet" too.

That just gets you a text-mode bootup, doesn't it? I am not averse to
that, but I'd like my old progress bar back, really. Flashing dots
convey no information other than "I'm doing something but I won't tell
you what or how far I've got". Whatever person thought that was an
improvement needs a slap.

--
Liam Proven • Info & profile: http://www.google.com/profiles/lproven
Email: lproven@cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven@gmail.com
Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884 • Fax: + 44 870-9151419
AIM/Yahoo/Skype: liamproven • MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-28-2011, 12:53 PM
Nils Kassube
 
Default Restoring legacy components

Liam Proven wrote:
> Is it possible to set KDE4 to show icons on the actual bl$%dy desktop
> and not in some wretched floating plasmoid
> sort-of-filer-window-but-not-quite thing?

There are two possibilities to have icons on your desktop. In the
default setting, you can drag application starters from the K menu to
the desktop (unlock widgets first if necessary).

The second option is a bit more complicated: Right-click on your desktop
(if necessary select "unlock Widgets" and right-click on your desktop
again). Select "Desktop Settings" and on the left panel click on
"Activity". Select "Folder View" for the "Type" and click "Apply". On
the (now extended) left panel click on "Location". Select "Show a
place:" or "Specify folder:" if you don't like the Desktop folder. Now
it works similar to KDE3. That's how it works with the Kubuntu 10.10
LiveCD, i.e. KDE 4.5.1 but I think it has been this way for quite some
time now.

> That just gets you a text-mode bootup, doesn't it? I am not averse to
> that, but I'd like my old progress bar back, really. Flashing dots
> convey no information other than "I'm doing something but I won't
> tell you what or how far I've got". Whatever person thought that was
> an improvement needs a slap.

Well, maybe you should take back that last statement. The progress
bar was more or less a counter for the number of jobs started and it
made sense with the ancient sysvinit because jobs were started one at a
time. Nowadays we have upstart which starts the jobs in parallel (if
possible). Therefore your beloved progress bar would now start with
maybe 80%, wait a considerable amount of time and then jump to 100% (but
you wouldn't notice it because the display would have switched to the
display manager already). Would that be more useful than flashing dots?


Nils

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-28-2011, 01:11 PM
Liam Proven
 
Default Restoring legacy components

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 1:53 PM, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:
> Liam Proven wrote:
>> Is it possible to set KDE4 to show icons on the actual bl$%dy desktop
>> and not in some wretched floating plasmoid
>> sort-of-filer-window-but-not-quite thing?
>
> There are two possibilities to have icons on your desktop. In the
> default setting, you can drag application starters from the K menu to
> the desktop (unlock widgets first if necessary).
>
> The second option is a bit more complicated: Right-click on your desktop
> (if necessary select "unlock Widgets" and right-click on your desktop
> again). Select "Desktop Settings" and on the left panel click on
> "Activity". Select "Folder View" for the "Type" and click "Apply". On
> the (now extended) left panel click on "Location". Select "Show a
> place:" or "Specify folder:" if you don't like the Desktop folder. Now
> it works similar to KDE3. That's how it works with the Kubuntu 10.10
> LiveCD, i.e. KDE 4.5.1 but I think it has been this way for quite some
> time now.

Ah, excellent! Thank you!

>> That just gets you a text-mode bootup, doesn't it? I am not averse to
>> that, but I'd like my old progress bar back, really. Flashing dots
>> convey no information other than "I'm doing something but I won't
>> tell you what or how far I've got". Whatever person thought that was
>> an improvement needs a slap.
>
> Well, maybe you should take back that last statement. The progress
> bar was more or less a counter for the number of jobs started and it
> made sense with the ancient sysvinit because jobs were started one at a
> time. Nowadays we have upstart which starts the jobs in parallel (if
> possible). Therefore your beloved progress bar would now start with
> maybe 80%, wait a considerable amount of time and then jump to 100% (but
> you wouldn't notice it because the display would have switched to the
> display manager already). Would that be more useful than flashing dots?

Actually, yes, I stand by it, and yes, I *would* prefer a progress bar
with a very erratic movement than no progress indication at all.

--
Liam Proven • Info & profile: http://www.google.com/profiles/lproven
Email: lproven@cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven@gmail.com
Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884 • Fax: + 44 870-9151419
AIM/Yahoo/Skype: liamproven • MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:15 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org