Old 01-26-2011, 07:18 PM
Leo Noordhuizen

Default Canon printer too fond of black

Hello,
Im using a Canon Pixma Ip4500 printer on Ubuntu 10.10 and the color-reproduction is disastrous.It seems that its using way too much black in printing everything, and everythings comes out very dark or black.

As a consequence the 'liquid gold' (that expensive printer ink) is disappearing much faster as when using that other Operating System.
I am using the standard "Canon PIXMA iP4500 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.6" printer drivers.

I did have a look at the Canon website, but the drivers they have are from 2007.
Any suggestions ?
Thank,
Leo Noordhuizen - Netherlands

Old 01-26-2011, 07:28 PM
Linda

Im using a Canon Pixma Ip4500 printer on Ubuntu 10.10 and
the color-reproduction is disastrous.
It seems that its using way too much black in printing
everything, and everythings comes out very dark or black.
As a consequence the 'liquid gold' (that expensive printer
ink) is disappearing much faster as when using that other
Operating System.

I am using the standard "Canon PIXMA iP4500 -
CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.6" printer drivers.

I did have a look at the Canon website, but the drivers
they have are from 2007.

Any suggestions ?

Thank,

Leo Noordhuizen - Netherlands

I don't have that printer but does it have print quality
choices in properties under printer options my Brother
MFC-6490CW has choice from fast (equiv to draft) to
highest, it also has places to adjust paper type etc. If you
have a draft of fast setting it might solve your problem as
that is designed to use less ink.

Linda

Old 01-27-2011, 03:28 PM
Tommy Trussell

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 2:18 PM, Leo Noordhuizen
<leo.noordhuizen@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> Im using a Canon Pixma Ip4500 printer on Ubuntu 10.10 and the
> color-reproduction is disastrous.
> It seems that its using way too much black in printing everything, and
> everythings comes out very dark or black.
> As a consequence the 'liquid gold' (that expensive printer ink) is
> disappearing much faster as when using that other Operating System.
> I am using the standard "Canon PIXMA iP4500 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.6"
> printer drivers.
> I did have a look at the Canon website, but the drivers they have are from
> 2007.
> Any suggestions ?
> Thank,
> Leo Noordhuizen - Netherlands

A few years ago Canon didn't support linux well at all, and the
open-source drivers were not often very good because Canon wouldn't
release the information needed to support their products. I hope that
has changed, though I don't have a Canon printer anymore.

There IS a commercial driver called TurboPrint
http://www.turboprint.info/ -- I used to use it very successfully with
an old wide-carriage Canon printer, until the printer finally died.
TurboPrint worked MUCH better than the Gutenprint drivers, and last I
looked you can try TurboPrint for free. If you want to use it at full
color and resolution you will want pay the reasonable price they
charge (to remove the watermark).

Check the support information and give it a try...

Old 01-27-2011, 11:33 PM
Ric Moore

On Thu, 2011-01-27 at 10:28 -0600, Tommy Trussell wrote:

> There IS a commercial driver called TurboPrint
> http://www.turboprint.info/ -- I used to use it very successfully with
> an old wide-carriage Canon printer, until the printer finally died.
> TurboPrint worked MUCH better than the Gutenprint drivers,

I want my old NEC spinwriter back. Anyone got one un-used lying around
in the garage?? Progress is highly overrated. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 01-27-2011, 11:33 PM
MR ZenWiz

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 8:28 AM, Tommy Trussell
<tommy.trussell@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 2:18 PM, Leo Noordhuizen
> <leo.noordhuizen@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> A few years ago Canon didn't support linux well at all, and the
> open-source drivers were not often very good because Canon wouldn't
> release the information needed to support their products. I hope that
> has changed, though I don't have a Canon printer anymore.

Last I checked, this was still true. I use HP and Brother printers,
which are well-supported.

Sorry about OP's Canon - that seems to be one of their few faults (bad
Linux support AND funky ink usage). Other than that I really used to
like Canon printers.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:19 PM
Normand Marion

I'm using a Canon IP5000 under 10.04 with gutenprint 5.2.5.0.

It works pretty well. But under Windows the driver gives more controls.

A mistake I did when I got that printer is to work with CMJK color set
and got problem. I change to RGB and everything is perfect now.

Normand Marion - Canada