-   -   Please check your taskbars for Raise On Drag (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/481498-please-check-your-taskbars-raise-drag.html)

Dotan Cohen 01-26-2011 05:36 PM

Please check your taskbars for Raise On Drag

I just noticed that KDE 4.6 does not raise a window when a file is
dragged to it's Taskbar item. I would appreciate it if users of Gnome,
XFCE, and earlier KDE could test this. Bonus Internet points if
someone could test on Windows or Mac!

To test: open any application and cover it's window with a file
manager. Now drag a file from the file manager to the Taskbar and
hover over the application's Taskbar item. Does that window come to
the top?

Thanks!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Alan Pope 01-26-2011 05:55 PM

On 26 January 2011 18:36, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just noticed that KDE 4.6 does not raise a window when a file is
> dragged to it's Taskbar item. I would appreciate it if users of Gnome,
> XFCE, and earlier KDE could test this. Bonus Internet points if
> someone could test on Windows or Mac!

On OSX dragging an .xls from finder to the already open LibreOffice
icon brings the LibreOffice window to the front and displays the
spreadsheet.

Do people actually _do_ this though? I think I may have maybe once or
twice in my computing life, certainly never in the last year have I
tried to do that on any platform.

Al.

Dotan Cohen 01-26-2011 06:05 PM

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 20:55, Alan Pope <popey@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On OSX dragging an .xls from finder to the already open LibreOffice
> icon brings the LibreOffice window to the front and displays the
> spreadsheet.

Thank you for testing!

> Do people actually _do_ this though? I think I may have maybe once or
> twice in my computing life, certainly never in the last year have I
> tried to do that on any platform.

On the rare occasions that I use the mouse I like this. I just found
it missing in KDE 4.6 and I don't know for how long it has been
missing. I must not do it a lot!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Robert Spanjaard 01-26-2011 06:27 PM

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 18:55:49 +0000, Alan Pope wrote:

> On 26 January 2011 18:36, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I just noticed that KDE 4.6 does not raise a window when a file is
>> dragged to it's Taskbar item. I would appreciate it if users of Gnome,
>> XFCE, and earlier KDE could test this. Bonus Internet points if someone
>> could test on Windows or Mac!
>>

> On OSX dragging an .xls from finder to the already open LibreOffice icon
> brings the LibreOffice window to the front and displays the spreadsheet.
>
> Do people actually _do_ this though? I think I may have maybe once or
> twice in my computing life, certainly never in the last year have I
> tried to do that on any platform.

I use this method regularly on GNOME. Not just for local files, but even
for opening images from the web. Just drag an image on a website from
Firefox to GIMP on the taskbar, the GIMP windows appear, and drag the
image to the GIMP windows to open and edit the image.

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com