Old 01-26-2011, 04:42 AM
Brian Clarkson

Default LibreOffice - pros & cons with Meerkat

Is it too early to seriously try LibreOffice?* Particularly as it requires OpenOffice to be removed.* I like the new features list but am a bit wary of suggestions that it can break your system,

Old 01-26-2011, 04:49 AM
Basil Chupin

Is it too early to seriously try LibreOffice?

Have you seen my post here earlier today?

Particularly as it requires OpenOffice to be removed.

Where did you get this from?

I like the new features list but am a bit wary of suggestions that
it can break your system,

BC

--
Left to themselves, things tend to go from bad to worse.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:08 AM
Brian Clarkson

1. It was your post that alerted me to the availability of LibreOffice (previously* I was unaware of it).

2. the next URL and the following one both suggest the need to remove Open Office before installing LibreOffice:

* http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-Install-LibreOffice-in-Ubuntu-10-10-and-Ubuntu-10-04-177762.shtml

http://www.n00bsonubuntu.net/content/install-libreoffice-release-candidate-2-using-ppa-on-ubuntu-10-10-maverick-meerkat/

3. the 2nd URL also cautions against the possibility of breaking the system.

I have no idea how credible these URLīs are but I couldnīt find much guidance on the LibreOffice website that meant much to me.* I liked their enthusiasm but wasnīt sure how to rate it.

Brian

Old 01-26-2011, 05:22 AM
Basil Chupin

/
2. the next URL and the following one both suggest the need to remove
Open Office before installing LibreOffice:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-Install-LibreOffice-in-Ubuntu-10-10-and-Ubuntu-10-04-177762.shtml

http://www.n00bsonubuntu.net/content/install-libreoffice-release-candidate-2-using-ppa-on-ubuntu-10-10-maverick-meerkat/

3. the 2nd URL also cautions against the possibility of breaking the
system.

I have no idea how credible these URLīs are but I couldnīt find much
guidance on the LibreOffice website that meant much to me. I liked
their enthusiasm but wasnīt sure how to rate it.

Brian/
/

OK, thanks for this.

But if you have a look you will find that both articles were written
many days ago (one is 5 January and the other 12 January) - when LO was
a (?)Beta.

The URL I provided points you to the LO site which gives you all the
up-to-date information on how to install LO on your system (be it Ubuntu
et al, or Windows, or MAC). All the information is there :-) : one is
not spoon-fed but one does need to spend a bit of time reading the
instructions :-) .

BC

--
Left to themselves, things tend to go from bad to worse.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:28 AM
David Nelson

Hi, :-)

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 14:22, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> On 26/01/2011 17:08, Brian Clarkson wrote:
>>
>> 1. It was your post that alerted me to the availability of LibreOffice
>> (previously *I was unaware of it)./
>> /
>> 2. the next URL and the following one both suggest the need to remove Open
>> Office before installing LibreOffice:

It is not *necessary* to remove OpenOffice.org before installing
LibreOffice. They can currently happily exist side by side.

>> I have no idea how credible these URLīs are but I couldnīt find much
>> guidance on the LibreOffice website that meant much to me. *I liked their
>> enthusiasm but wasnīt sure how to rate it.
>>
>> Brian/
>
> But if you have a look you will find that both articles were written many
> days ago (one is 5 January and the other 12 January) - when LO was a
> (?)Beta.
>
> The URL I provided points you to the LO site which gives you all the
> up-to-date information on how to install LO on your system (be it Ubuntu et
> al, or Windows, or MAC). All the information is there :-) : one is not
> spoon-fed but one does need to spend a bit of time reading the instructions

As one of the guys working on the http://libreoffice.org website, I
just wanted to say that we'll be updating the Linux installation
instructions.

The writing of those instructions was complicated by the attempt to
cover multiple Linux distribs (I was the guy that wrote them). I'll be
looking at a way to improve that content as soon as I get time.

We'd welcome any help and involvement from anybody willing to
contribute time and work on this... ;-)

As a full-time Ubuntu user, I'm really happy that LibreOffice is in
the repos now. Thanks for this. :-)

David Nelson

Old 01-26-2011, 06:49 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 5:28 AM, David Nelson <commerce@traduction.biz> wrote:
> Hi, :-)
>
> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 14:22, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:
>> On 26/01/2011 17:08, Brian Clarkson wrote:
>>>
>>> 1. It was your post that alerted me to the availability of LibreOffice
>>> (previously *I was unaware of it)./
>>> /
>>> 2. the next URL and the following one both suggest the need to remove Open
>>> Office before installing LibreOffice:
>
> It is not *necessary* to remove OpenOffice.org before installing
> LibreOffice. They can currently happily exist side by side.
>
>>> I have no idea how credible these URLīs are but I couldnīt find much
>>> guidance on the LibreOffice website that meant much to me. *I liked their
>>> enthusiasm but wasnīt sure how to rate it.
>>>
>>> Brian/
>>
>> But if you have a look you will find that both articles were written many
>> days ago (one is 5 January and the other 12 January) - when LO was a
>> (?)Beta.
>>
>> The URL I provided points you to the LO site which gives you all the
>> up-to-date information on how to install LO on your system (be it Ubuntu et
>> al, or Windows, or MAC). All the information is there :-) : one is not
>> spoon-fed but one does need to spend a bit of time reading the instructions
>
> As one of the guys working on the http://libreoffice.org website, I
> just wanted to say that we'll be updating the Linux installation
> instructions.
>
> The writing of those instructions was complicated by the attempt to
> cover multiple Linux distribs (I was the guy that wrote them). I'll be
> looking at a way to improve that content as soon as I get time.

Libreoffice .deb release from the main site installs at /opt, side by
side with OO, but in my Maverick 64
failed to create shortcuts on Aplications/Office.

Libreoffice from the PPA, 1:3.3.0~rc4-1 (the only active repo I found
for Mav.) indeed demands removal of regular OpenOffice (in fact
Go-Oo). Nevertheless, once installed it seems to work well.

--
L M Nicolosi, Eng.
GNU-Linux Regist. User #481505 - http://counter.li.org/

Old 01-26-2011, 07:02 AM
sdavmor

(2 thumbs up). Installed Libre tonight on 10.10 x64. My cursory
examination of all the various apps on existing files of my own
seems that it is indeed ready for primetime. Goodnight OpenOffice.
http://mikedickson.org.uk

Old 01-26-2011, 07:03 AM
David Nelson

Hi, :-)

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 15:49, Lucio M Nicolosi <lmnicolosi@gmail.com> wrote:
> Libreoffice from the PPA, 1:3.3.0~rc4-1 (the only active repo I found
> for Mav.) indeed demands removal of regular OpenOffice (in fact
> Go-Oo). Nevertheless, once installed it seems to work well.

Maybe Go-Oo and OpenOffice.org should be considered differently...
I've successfully installed and used OpenOffice.org and LibreOffice
side by side, during the 3.3 beta phase, using the LibreOffice
community-supplied downloads. I haven't tried with the repo-provided
installation (I removed OOo beforehand)...

IIRC, a lot of the stuff from Go-Oo was integrated into LibreOffice,
and maybe that's the "problem"?

David Nelson

Old 01-26-2011, 07:11 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 6:03 AM, David Nelson <commerce@traduction.biz> wrote:
> Hi, :-)
>
> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 15:49, Lucio M Nicolosi <lmnicolosi@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Libreoffice from the PPA, 1:3.3.0~rc4-1 (the only active repo I found
>> for Mav.) indeed demands removal of regular OpenOffice (in fact
>> Go-Oo). Nevertheless, once installed it seems to work well.
>
> Maybe Go-Oo and OpenOffice.org should be considered differently...
> I've successfully installed and used OpenOffice.org and LibreOffice
> side by side, during the 3.3 beta phase, using the LibreOffice
> community-supplied downloads. I haven't tried with the repo-provided
> installation (I removed OOo beforehand)...
>
> IIRC, a lot of the stuff from Go-Oo was integrated into LibreOffice,
> and maybe that's the "problem"?
>
> David Nelson

Ubuntu's OpenOffice has been in fact Go-Oo for some time. Since "Go-Oo
project will be discontinued in favor of LibreOffice" that's the way
to go.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:16 AM
Brian Clarkson

Thank you for all these helpful responses.* I do appreciate this help.

(I feel rather dumb but I am not sure what ĻGo-OoĻ refers to!)

Brian