Old 01-25-2011, 09:18 PM
"Joep L. Blom"

Default Strong encryption (OT)

On 25/01/11 16:41, Aart Koelewijn wrote:

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 11:32:18 +0100, Joep L. Blom wrote:

On 25/01/11 11:11, Colin Law wrote:

On 25 January 2011 04:26, Basil Chupin<blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:

On 25/01/2011 10:08, Robert Holtzman wrote:

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 04:11:51PM -0700, Doug Robinson wrote:

Does anybody have a feel for the problems associated with
distributing software that employs Strong Encryption.

I have looked around and there is a number of good things out there
but I wonder if the US Feds are still throwing hissie fits every
time this stuff appears in public?

They probably are but since Phil Zimmermann, the creator of PGP, beat
them in court I don't think you have too much to worry about. Someone
correct me if I'm wrong.

Note: I am *not* a lawyer and the above is *not* legal advice.

There was an article recently about a person who was placed in jail
for contempt of court because he refused to provide the "authorities"
his encryption key to the data on his computer. I cannot remember in
which country this occurred whether it was USA, or Australia, or
Britain :-( . (I *think* that the article was on BBC Online but I am
not sure.)

I think it was in the UK, a guy was charged with child pornography and
would not provide the key for an encrypted disk, no prizes for guessing
why. I believe he was found guilty anyway.

Colin

Colin,
It was in the Netherlands and the apprehended guy was a paedophile who
worked in a "Kindergarten" and had misused> 80 children from 1 year to
10. He was part of a large paedophile network and had thousands of
really awful paedophylic pictures on his computer but he had it really
well encrypted. However, the police has "persuaded" him to give his
encryption code.
This kind of guys is be removed permanently from society. Joep

Joep, there has been no trial yet, so he is suspected of and not yet
found guilty. The case seems rather strong though. And as no one may be
forced to give evidence against himself he may well have the right not to
give those keys according to dutch law. But like you, I would not like it
if someone like him would be able to get near my grandchildren.

Aart

Aart,
You're right as he is only accused and not tried. However, the things I
wrote are a resume of what has been written a.o. in the papers and
stated as facts.
Paedophile is if course not a clinical diagnosis as presented in DSM V
but a lay term for somebody with a sexual preference for children.

But all this is way OT.
Joep