-   -   Skype @ Eee PC 1001 HA and *Ubuntu: everything works except the microphone. (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/481031-skype-eee-pc-1001-ha-ubuntu-everything-works-except-microphone.html)

Ric Moore 01-25-2011 05:41 PM

Skype @ Eee PC 1001 HA and *Ubuntu: everything works except the microphone.

On Tue, 2011-01-25 at 14:28 +0100, Bas Roufs wrote:
> Hello everybody
>
> At present, I am trying out Skype at Kubuntu Maverick on an Asus Eee
> PC 1001 HA. Really everything works, except the microphone. It is
> possible to HEAR and even SEE the conversation partner. The latter can
> also see me or anybody else sitting behind my netbook. So, the webcam
> and sound reception devices work well.
> Also other multimedia functions work perfectly well now: listening to
> radio streams or local play lists, watching films, Youtube, etc.
> But the MICROPHONE is still mute: this applies both for the internal,
> in-built microphone as well as some external device I have been
> trying. I have tried to activate the microphone function via Alsamixer
> in the command line. But this does not work so far. Does anybody have
> a clue on how to activate the microphone?
>
> Respectfully yours,

Since the latest Skype recognizes pulse, crank up pavucontrol, and
select/activate the mike of the device you're using ~~while you're
speaking into it~~ with the skype application running and connected.
Adjust the volume and you should be good to go from then on, as that
will become the default setting next time you crank it up. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Ric Moore 01-26-2011 03:41 AM

On Wed, 2011-01-26 at 00:31 +0100, Bas Roufs wrote:
> Hello everybody
>
> > > At present, I am trying out Skype at Kubuntu Maverick on an Asus Eee
> > > PC 1001 HA. Really everything works, except the microphone.
>
> > Since the latest Skype recognizes pulse, crank up pavucontrol,
> Can you explain what you mean here?
>
> > select/activate the mike of the device you're using ~~while you're
> > speaking into it~~ with the skype application running and connected.
>
> This is exactly the direction I am looking to. I am wondering how to
> select and activate the mike I am using. By the way, both the headset
> and the in-built sound devices deliver the same results: everything
> works, except the microphone. In other words: how can I adjust my
> sound recording settings? I try to adjust them via Alsamixer, but this
> does not work so far.
>

> > Adjust the volume and you should be good to go from then on, as that
> > will become the default setting next time you crank it up. Ric
>
> This is exactly what I try to do via Alsamixer and also via KMix. But
> neither method works so far. Does anybody have a clue on how to
> effectively adjust the sound recording settings at Kubuntu 10.10?

Sorry I wasn't more clear. Open a terminal. type "pavucontrol" and I'd
stick that one on your toolbar. Then re-read what I wrote, it'll make
more sense. Ric

Linux user# 44256