Old 02-05-2008, 07:17 PM
Joel Goguen

Default Reliable Network Manager in Hardy

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 21:07:58 +0100, Nils <n.bruenggel@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all
>
> Today I tried out the Alpha 4 of Hardy and was quite disappointed that
> it still ships with nm 6.5.
>
> I had a lot of trouble with it, especially in WLANs with WPA
> enterprise. It also seems that there are plenty of bugs in it. Network
> Manager is essential to be able to work, unlike for example compiz,
> which is nice to have. Of course you can also connect to all wlans
> using the cli, wpa_supplicant, dhclient, etc, but this is IMHO a waste
> of time.
>
> Since there are some reports of how much nm 0.7 will improve [1] the
> situation, I was hoping that Hardy will come with it. I would like to
> know what the Ubuntu dev team does to improve the situation.
>
> Regards
>
> Nils
>
> [1]

http://blogs.gnome.org/dcbw/2007/10/15/networkmanager-07-is-the-new-chuck-norris/

I have had no end of trouble trying to get NM 0.7 working in Ubuntu, and
even Fedora's claim to ship with NM 0.7 is only partially true. Having
used it, it looks like they've just got 0.6.5 with some extra features that
don't really do a whole lot (unless of course you have VPN connections to
manage, then they've got something good for you). NM 0.6.5 OTOH has been
smooth, never failed to work properly. Except of course when I hit the
switch for my wireless card, but you can't blame NM for user stupidity

--
Joel Goguen
https://jgoguen.ca/

Old 02-05-2008, 07:38 PM
Nils

> NM 0.6.5 OTOH has been
> smooth, never failed to work properly. Except of course when I hit the
> switch for my wireless card, but you can't blame NM for user stupidity

With WPA personal or WEP, it worked most of the time fine, with WPA
enterprise not. I'm also not sure how well it works, when you switch
networks frequently.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:44 PM
Joel Goguen

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 21:38:26 +0100, Nils <n.bruenggel@gmail.com> wrote:
>> NM 0.6.5 OTOH has been
>> smooth, never failed to work properly. Except of course when I hit the
>> switch for my wireless card, but you can't blame NM for user stupidity
>

> With WPA personal or WEP, it worked most of the time fine, with WPA
> enterprise not. I'm also not sure how well it works, when you switch
> networks frequently.

I use WPA Enterprise on a daily basis with ndiswrapper. On any given day
(except Sundays ) I'll switch between a WPA Enterprise network, no
connection, WPA Personal, WPA2 Personal, and Open. The only thing I notice
is that there's a delay recognizing that the network has disappeared, and a
similar delay recognizing that there's a new network in range. That
doesn't seem to depend on where I'm going to though, even if I'm connected
and a new network appears it takes a minute for NM to add it to the list.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:16 PM
Sarunas Burdulis

Joel Goguen wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 21:07:58 +0100, Nils <n.bruenggel@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Dear all
>>
>> Today I tried out the Alpha 4 of Hardy and was quite disappointed that
>> it still ships with nm 6.5.
>>
>> I had a lot of trouble with it, especially in WLANs with WPA
>> enterprise. It also seems that there are plenty of bugs in it. Network
>> Manager is essential to be able to work, unlike for example compiz,
>> which is nice to have. Of course you can also connect to all wlans
>> using the cli, wpa_supplicant, dhclient, etc, but this is IMHO a waste
>> of time.
>>
>> Since there are some reports of how much nm 0.7 will improve [1] the
>> situation, I was hoping that Hardy will come with it. I would like to
>> know what the Ubuntu dev team does to improve the situation.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Nils
>>
>> [1]
>>
> http://blogs.gnome.org/dcbw/2007/10/15/networkmanager-07-is-the-new-chuck-norris/
>> --
>
> I have had no end of trouble trying to get NM 0.7 working in Ubuntu, and
> even Fedora's claim to ship with NM 0.7 is only partially true. Having
> used it, it looks like they've just got 0.6.5 with some extra features that
> don't really do a whole lot (unless of course you have VPN connections to
> manage, then they've got something good for you). NM 0.6.5 OTOH has been
> smooth, never failed to work properly. Except of course when I hit the
> switch for my wireless card, but you can't blame NM for user stupidity

Gutsy with NM 0.6.5 doesn't work well enough for WPA2-Ent./TLS
connections, i.e. it will finally connect after several attempts, but
every time it asks for the same credentials (and there is quite a bit of
them for WPA2-E/TLS). Applying a patch to nm-applet seems to help.
However it's not something that I can be put into connection
instructions for regular users.

Fedora 8/NM 0.7 (with updates) works "out of the box" as far as
connecting to WPA2-Ent./TLS, reusing saved credentials etc.

Sarunas

Old 02-06-2008, 11:08 AM
Nils

> Gutsy with NM 0.6.5 doesn't work well enough for WPA2-Ent./TLS
> connections, i.e. it will finally connect after several attempts, but
> every time it asks for the same credentials (and there is quite a bit of
> them for WPA2-E/TLS). Applying a patch to nm-applet seems to help.
> However it's not something that I can be put into connection
> instructions for regular users.

Can you tell me which patch and how to apply it? Is it included in Hardy?

> Fedora 8/NM 0.7 (with updates) works "out of the box" as far as
> connecting to WPA2-Ent./TLS, reusing saved credentials etc.

Good to hear, I hope it will also make it into Ubuntu..

Old 02-06-2008, 12:01 PM
Sarunas Burdulis