Old 01-25-2011, 01:12 PM
bauerh

Default Thinkpad W510 advice

I am about to take possession of my new Thinkpad W510, which comes with
Genuine Windows 7 Professional(32bit), Intel
Core i7-720QM Processor(1.6 GHz, 6MB L3,1333MHz). I do NOT intend to use
Windows but install ubuntu 10.10.
As I am not sure about the correct procedure of removing win 7 from the
installation without jeopardising a clean ubuntu installation, your
expert, highly experienced guidance is sought and kindly requested.

Hans

Old 01-25-2011, 01:18 PM
Colin Law

On 25 January 2011 14:12, bauerh <bauerh@rogers.com> wrote:
> I am about to take possession of my new Thinkpad W510, which comes with
> Genuine Windows 7 Professional(32bit), Intel
> Core i7-720QM Processor(1.6 GHz, 6MB L3,1333MHz). I do NOT intend to use
> Windows but install ubuntu 10.10.
> As I am not sure about the correct procedure of removing win 7 from the
> installation without jeopardising a clean ubuntu installation, your expert,
> highly experienced guidance is sought and kindly requested.

I believe you should just be able to boot off the Ubuntu install CD
and tell it to use the entire disk when it asks where to install.
That will obliterate Windows.

Colin

Old 01-25-2011, 01:21 PM
Matt Harrison

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 9:12 AM, bauerh <bauerh@rogers.com> wrote:
> I am about to take possession of my new Thinkpad W510, which comes with
> Genuine Windows 7 Professional(32bit), Intel
> Core i7-720QM Processor(1.6 GHz, 6MB L3,1333MHz). I do NOT intend to use
> Windows but install ubuntu 10.10.
> As I am not sure about the correct procedure of removing win 7 from the
> installation without jeopardising a clean ubuntu installation, your expert,
> highly experienced guidance is sought and kindly requested.
> Hans

The simplest thing to do would be, when installing 10.10, to tell the
partitioner to use the entire disk. This will completely remove the
Windows 7 partition and when GRUB installs it will rewrite the MBR and
you will have no trace of Windows on the machine.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:22 PM
Mark Widdicombe

On Tue, 2011-01-25 at 09:12 -0500, bauerh wrote:
> I am about to take possession of my new Thinkpad W510, which comes with
> Genuine Windows 7 Professional(32bit), Intel
> Core i7-720QM Processor(1.6 GHz, 6MB L3,1333MHz). I do NOT intend to use
> Windows but install ubuntu 10.10.
> As I am not sure about the correct procedure of removing win 7 from the
> installation without jeopardising a clean ubuntu installation, your
> expert, highly experienced guidance is sought and kindly requested.
> Hans

Hi Hans,

I would not uninstall it, just reduce the size of its partition and then
install Ubuntu in a dual boot configuration. It will make it much
easier a couple of years down the line when you may want to resell your
Thinkpad to have the original OEM install of Windows still installed.
We have Windows 7 Professional installed on our desktop, but we never
boot it and I've almost forgotten it's there. It only takes up about
20G of HD space.

Regards,
Mark

Disclaimer