Old 01-25-2011, 12:28 PM
Bas Roufs

Default Skype @ Eee PC 1001 HA and *Ubuntu: everything works except the microphone.

Hello everybody

At present, I am trying out Skype at Kubuntu Maverick on an Asus Eee
PC 1001 HA. Really everything works, except the microphone. It is
possible to HEAR and even SEE the conversation partner. The latter can
also see me or anybody else sitting behind my netbook. So, the webcam
and sound reception devices work well.
Also other multimedia functions work perfectly well now: listening to
radio streams or local play lists, watching films, Youtube, etc.
But the MICROPHONE is still mute: this applies both for the internal,
in-built microphone as well as some external device I have been
trying. I have tried to activate the microphone function via Alsamixer
in the command line. But this does not work so far. Does anybody have
a clue on how to activate the microphone?

Respectfully yours,

Bas.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:31 PM
Bas Roufs

Hello everybody

> > At present, I am trying out Skype at Kubuntu Maverick on an Asus Eee
> > PC 1001 HA. Really everything works, except the microphone.

> Since the latest Skype recognizes pulse, crank up pavucontrol,
Can you explain what you mean here?

> select/activate the mike of the device you're using ~~while you're
> speaking into it~~ with the skype application running and connected.

This is exactly the direction I am looking to. I am wondering how to
select and activate the mike I am using. By the way, both the headset
and the in-built sound devices deliver the same results: everything
works, except the microphone. In other words: how can I adjust my
sound recording settings? I try to adjust them via Alsamixer, but this
does not work so far.

> Adjust the volume and you should be good to go from then on, as that
> will become the default setting next time you crank it up. Ric

This is exactly what I try to do via Alsamixer and also via KMix. But
neither method works so far. Does anybody have a clue on how to
effectively adjust the sound recording settings at Kubuntu 10.10?

Respectfully yours,
Bas.