FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-25-2011, 05:53 PM
MR ZenWiz
 
Default HD activity in 10.04

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 8:49 PM, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:
>
> So solly, Mr ZenWiz, Sir, but my Maverick installation (and my wife's)
> regularly goes on a Checking HDs expedition and it ain't every 6 months :-)

I've seen only one since I installed maverick on my desktop back in October.

> Perchance you fiddled with that file I mentioned ( the name of which I know
> not)?
>
I don't think so - I don't usually fiddle with system files. Given
that neither of us knows the name of said file, I couldn't say for
sure, but I doubt it.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-25-2011, 07:30 PM
Colin Law
 
Default HD activity in 10.04

On 25 January 2011 18:53, MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 8:49 PM, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:
>>
>> So solly, Mr ZenWiz, Sir, but my Maverick installation (and my wife's)
>> regularly goes on a Checking HDs expedition and it ain't every 6 months :-)
>
> I've seen only one since I installed maverick on my desktop back in October.

Perhaps you do not reboot very often

>
>> Perchance you fiddled with that file I mentioned ( the name of which I know
>> not)?
>>
> I don't think so - I don't usually fiddle with system files. *Given
> that neither of us knows the name of said file, I couldn't say for
> sure, but I doubt it.

The count or re-boots between scans can be set by using something like
sudo tune2fs -c 50 /dev/sda1
to set it to 50
sudo tune2fs -l /dev/sda1
will display it and other stuff.

Colin

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-25-2011, 07:55 PM
MR ZenWiz
 
Default HD activity in 10.04

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 12:30 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> The count or re-boots between scans can be set by using something like
> sudo tune2fs -c 50 /dev/sda1
> to set it to 50
> sudo tune2fs -l /dev/sda1
> will display it and other stuff.
>

Hmm:


tune2fs 1.41.12 (17-May-2010)
Filesystem volume name: /boot
Last mounted on: <not available>
Filesystem UUID: 15ae058b-f4da-4ad1-a8f7-6c375e9d8124
Filesystem magic number: 0xEF53
Filesystem revision #: 1 (dynamic)
Filesystem features: ext_attr resize_inode dir_index filetype sparse_super
Filesystem flags: signed_directory_hash
Default mount options: (none)
Filesystem state: not clean
Errors behavior: Continue
Filesystem OS type: Linux
Inode count: 26208
Block count: 104420
Reserved block count: 5221
Free blocks: 42125
Free inodes: 25784
First block: 1
Block size: 1024
Fragment size: 1024
Reserved GDT blocks: 256
Blocks per group: 8192
Fragments per group: 8192
Inodes per group: 2016
Inode blocks per group: 252
Filesystem created: Tue Dec 14 02:42:19 2010
Last mount time: Tue Dec 14 03:42:52 2010
Last write time: Mon Jan 24 16:54:07 2011
Mount count: 1
Maximum mount count: 38
Last checked: Wed Jan 19 10:22:21 2011
Check interval: 15552000 (6 months)
Next check after: Mon Jul 18 11:22:21 2011
Reserved blocks uid: 0 (user root)
Reserved blocks gid: 0 (group root)
First inode: 11
Inode size: 128
Default directory hash: tea
Directory Hash Seed: e6f22aaa-8d16-4a54-aa06-701b86038d2c

The mount count for my /boot shows 1, which does not correspond to the
number of times I have rebooted since it was first mounted.

OTOH, my root shows this:

Mount count: 7
Maximum mount count: -1
Last checked: Wed Dec 15 12:11:33 2010
Check interval: 0 (<none>)

Just interesting (to me).

Thanks.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-26-2011, 03:38 AM
Ric Moore
 
Default HD activity in 10.04

On Tue, 2011-01-25 at 12:55 -0800, MR ZenWiz wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 12:30 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> >
> > The count or re-boots between scans can be set by using something like
> > sudo tune2fs -c 50 /dev/sda1
> > to set it to 50
> > sudo tune2fs -l /dev/sda1
> > will display it and other stuff.
> >
>
> Hmm:
>
>
> tune2fs 1.41.12 (17-May-2010)
> Filesystem volume name: /boot
> Last mounted on: <not available>
> Filesystem UUID: 15ae058b-f4da-4ad1-a8f7-6c375e9d8124
> Filesystem magic number: 0xEF53
> Filesystem revision #: 1 (dynamic)
> Filesystem features: ext_attr resize_inode dir_index filetype sparse_super
> Filesystem flags: signed_directory_hash
> Default mount options: (none)
> Filesystem state: not clean
> Errors behavior: Continue
> Filesystem OS type: Linux
> Inode count: 26208
> Block count: 104420
> Reserved block count: 5221
> Free blocks: 42125
> Free inodes: 25784
> First block: 1
> Block size: 1024
> Fragment size: 1024
> Reserved GDT blocks: 256
> Blocks per group: 8192
> Fragments per group: 8192
> Inodes per group: 2016
> Inode blocks per group: 252
> Filesystem created: Tue Dec 14 02:42:19 2010
> Last mount time: Tue Dec 14 03:42:52 2010
> Last write time: Mon Jan 24 16:54:07 2011
> Mount count: 1
> Maximum mount count: 38
> Last checked: Wed Jan 19 10:22:21 2011
> Check interval: 15552000 (6 months)
> Next check after: Mon Jul 18 11:22:21 2011
> Reserved blocks uid: 0 (user root)
> Reserved blocks gid: 0 (group root)
> First inode: 11
> Inode size: 128
> Default directory hash: tea
> Directory Hash Seed: e6f22aaa-8d16-4a54-aa06-701b86038d2c

It does show filesystem not clean. UNCLEAN! UNCLEAN! DEFILED! Should I
place a benediction on it? <waves hands hovery hovery> <waves chicken
foot> There. 25 bucks. I take paypal. Ric


--
My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say:
"There are two Great Sins in the world...
..the Sin of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity.
Only the former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad.
Linux user# 44256


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-26-2011, 04:40 AM
Basil Chupin
 
Default HD activity in 10.04

On 26/01/2011 15:38, Ric Moore wrote:

On Tue, 2011-01-25 at 12:55 -0800, MR ZenWiz wrote:

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 12:30 PM, Colin Law<clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:

The count or re-boots between scans can be set by using something like
sudo tune2fs -c 50 /dev/sda1
to set it to 50
sudo tune2fs -l /dev/sda1
will display it and other stuff.


Hmm:


tune2fs 1.41.12 (17-May-2010)

[pruned]


Filesystem state: not clean

[pruned]

Filesystem created: Tue Dec 14 02:42:19 2010
Last mount time: Tue Dec 14 03:42:52 2010
Last write time: Mon Jan 24 16:54:07 2011
Mount count: 1
Maximum mount count: 38
Last checked: Wed Jan 19 10:22:21 2011
Check interval: 15552000 (6 months)
Next check after: Mon Jul 18 11:22:21 2011

[pruned]



It does show filesystem not clean. UNCLEAN! UNCLEAN! DEFILED! Should I
place a benediction on it?<waves hands hovery hovery> <waves chicken
foot> There. 25 bucks. I take paypal. Ric


Shhhhh..... Some people need waking slowly and gently..... :-) .

I just had a look at my system and compared the above to it.

What the above shows is that the filesystem is "dirty"; the file system
was created on 14 December 2010 and the last write to that system was on
24 January 2011; that the file system was mounted only 1 time and the
max. count before it needs checking again has been set to 38[*] and that
the last check was done on 19 January, which is far less than the
claimed 6 months period. To me this indicates that while the file system
was created on 14 December 2010 the system has been rebooted for 38
times before the count of 1 started again on 19 January 2011.


*However*, if the the system is allowed to run continuously without
being rebooted then the next time the file system will be checked will
be, by default, in 6 months time (?whether you like it or not?).

[*] interesting number because mine shows 32 as the count. I wonder why
the difference?


BC

--
Left to themselves, things tend to go from bad to worse.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-26-2011, 05:03 AM
Basil Chupin
 
Default HD activity in 10.04

On 26/01/2011 16:40, Basil Chupin wrote:

On 26/01/2011 15:38, Ric Moore wrote:

On Tue, 2011-01-25 at 12:55 -0800, MR ZenWiz wrote:
On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 12:30 PM, Colin Law<clanlaw@googlemail.com>
wrote:

The count or re-boots between scans can be set by using something like
sudo tune2fs -c 50 /dev/sda1
to set it to 50
sudo tune2fs -l /dev/sda1
will display it and other stuff.


Hmm:


tune2fs 1.41.12 (17-May-2010)

[pruned]


It does show filesystem not clean. UNCLEAN! UNCLEAN! DEFILED! Should I
place a benediction on it?<waves hands hovery hovery> <waves chicken
foot> There. 25 bucks. I take paypal. Ric

[pruned]


I just had a look at my system and compared the above to it.


One other thing I forgot to mention is that I have my system installed
on an ext4 file system and my details for the file system (block size,
blocks per group, et al) do not correspond to what MR ZenWiz hows in his
details. This, of course, makes one ask which file system he is using?


BC

--
Left to themselves, things tend to go from bad to worse.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-26-2011, 07:09 AM
Colin Law
 
Default HD activity in 10.04

On 26 January 2011 05:40, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> [....]
> *However*, if the the system is allowed to run continuously without being
> rebooted then the next time the file system will be checked will be, by
> default, in 6 months time (?whether you like it or not?).

To be pedantic, if the file system is allowed to run continuously
without being re-booted it will never be checked, as the check is only
performed on re-boot, which will never happen.

Colin

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-27-2011, 02:40 AM
Basil Chupin
 
Default HD activity in 10.04

On 26/01/2011 19:09, Colin Law wrote:

On 26 January 2011 05:40, Basil Chupin<blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:

[....]
*However*, if the the system is allowed to run continuously without being
rebooted then the next time the file system will be checked will be, by
default, in 6 months time (?whether you like it or not?).

To be pedantic, if the file system is allowed to run continuously
without being re-booted it will never be checked, as the check is only
performed on re-boot, which will never happen.

Colin


Ah, good show! I was wondering how long it would take for someone to
spot this!


:-)

BC

--
Left to themselves, things tend to go from bad to worse.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:58 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org