Old 01-24-2011, 03:59 PM
Thufir Hawat

Default internet radio driver

I'm thinking of buying a stand-alone internet radio. Just wondering
whether they have lotsa features which require windows drivers? Of
course, I'm sure you can turn it on and listen to something quite easily,
just wondering about additional features.

thanks,

thufir

Old 01-24-2011, 04:35 PM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 2:59 PM, Thufir Hawat <hawat.thufir@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm thinking of buying a stand-alone internet radio. *Just wondering
> whether they have lotsa features which require windows drivers? *Of
> course, I'm sure you can turn it on and listen to something quite easily,
> just wondering about additional features.

Like running perhaps Ubuntu OS?

--
L M Nicolosi, Eng.
GNU-Linux Regist. User #481505 - http://counter.li.org/

Old 01-25-2011, 11:14 PM
Thufir Hawat

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 15:35:39 -0200, Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 2:59 PM, Thufir Hawat <hawat.thufir@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> I'm thinking of buying a stand-alone internet radio. *Just wondering
>> whether they have lotsa features which require windows drivers? *Of
>> course, I'm sure you can turn it on and listen to something quite
>> easily, just wondering about additional features.
>
> Like running perhaps Ubuntu OS?

Well, right, sorta. I mean, are they completely OS agnostic?

-Thufir

Old 01-26-2011, 01:04 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 10:14 PM, Thufir Hawat <hawat.thufir@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 15:35:39 -0200, Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 2:59 PM, Thufir Hawat <hawat.thufir@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> I'm thinking of buying a stand-alone internet radio. *Just wondering
>>> whether they have lotsa features which require windows drivers? *Of
>>> course, I'm sure you can turn it on and listen to something quite
>>> easily, just wondering about additional features.
>>
>> Like running perhaps Ubuntu OS?
>
> Well, right, sorta. *I mean, are they completely OS agnostic?

Although I never met one of these, not personally, sure they have
ethernet connections not to feel so (stand) alone, but I'd be very
surprised if any of them could do much more than their expected
functions, which do not include running your preferred Ubuntu release,
unless you find a very clever way to plug in your keyboard, monitor,
etc. to their single USB port, and make them work. But then, why don't
you just open Rhythmbox, find a nice internet radio station just like
this: http://www.radioswissjazz.ch/en/webradio , and save your 150
bucks (at Amazon) to buy a good speaker system?

Old 02-10-2011, 03:02 AM
Thufir Hawat

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 00:04:13 -0200, Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 10:14 PM, Thufir Hawat <hawat.thufir@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 15:35:39 -0200, Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:

>>> Like running perhaps Ubuntu OS?
>>
>> Well, right, sorta. *I mean, are they completely OS agnostic?
>>
> Although I never met one of these, not personally, sure they have
> ethernet connections not to feel so (stand) alone, but I'd be very
> surprised if any of them could do much more than their expected
> functions, which do not include running your preferred Ubuntu release,
> unless you find a very clever way to plug in your keyboard, monitor,
> etc. to their single USB port, and make them work. But then, why don't
> you just open Rhythmbox, find a nice internet radio station just like
> this: http://www.radioswissjazz.ch/en/webradio , and save your 150 bucks
> (at Amazon) to buy a good speaker system?
>
> --
> L M Nicolosi, Eng.
> GNU-Linux Regist. User #481505 - http://counter.li.org/ Ubuntu 10.10
> AMD64

The reason I asked are for the "little" things like:

linux.gif Squeezebox Server v7.5.3
http://www.mysqueezebox.com/download

which, quite nicely, has a little penguin
There's even a penguin on the box!

Apparently, it's to stream music from the pc to the radio. I was more
concerned about configuration, but there's usually some software to
install for most devices.

-Thufir

Old 02-10-2011, 03:32 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 2:02 AM, Thufir Hawat <hawat.thufir@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 00:04:13 -0200, Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
>
> The reason I asked are for the "little" things like:
>
> linux.gif Squeezebox Server v7.5.3
> http://www.mysqueezebox.com/download
>
> which, quite nicely, has a little penguin
> There's even a penguin on the box!
>
> Apparently, it's to stream music from the pc to the radio. *I was more
> concerned about configuration, but there's usually some software to
> install for most devices.

Nice indeed Thufir,

And your Linux desktop would work as a server.

But I'd still buy a huge set of speakers instead. :-)

Lucio

Old 02-10-2011, 07:01 PM
devicerandom

On 10/02/11 04:32, Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 2:02 AM, Thufir Hawat<hawat.thufir@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 00:04:13 -0200, Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:

The reason I asked are for the "little" things like:

linux.gif Squeezebox Server v7.5.3
http://www.mysqueezebox.com/download

which, quite nicely, has a little penguin
There's even a penguin on the box!

Apparently, it's to stream music from the pc to the radio. I was more
concerned about configuration, but there's usually some software to
install for most devices.

Nice indeed Thufir,

And your Linux desktop would work as a server.

But I'd still buy a huge set of speakers instead. :-)

Which however don't help if you want to listen to music away from the
huge set of speakers, like in another floor.

--
http://devicerandom.org

Old 02-10-2011, 07:53 PM
Ric Moore

On Thu, 2011-02-10 at 20:01 +0000, devicerandom wrote:
> On 10/02/11 04:32, Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 2:02 AM, Thufir Hawat<hawat.thufir@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 00:04:13 -0200, Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
> >>
> >> The reason I asked are for the "little" things like:
> >>
> >> linux.gif Squeezebox Server v7.5.3
> >> http://www.mysqueezebox.com/download
> >>
> >> which, quite nicely, has a little penguin
> >> There's even a penguin on the box!
> >>
> >> Apparently, it's to stream music from the pc to the radio. I was more
> >> concerned about configuration, but there's usually some software to
> >> install for most devices.
> >>

> > Nice indeed Thufir,
> >
> > And your Linux desktop would work as a server.
> >
> > But I'd still buy a huge set of speakers instead. :-)
>
> Which however don't help if you want to listen to music away from the
> huge set of speakers, like in another floor.

Have you checked out XBMC media center? It's supposed to be the end-all
of streaming audio/video applications for the home/web. It's a monster
of an application. Maybe it will fit your bill. It's in the repo's.
Also, check http://xbmc.org/ for detailed information. It's a little bit
CPU intensive, but that's OK for a dedicated standalone server. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 02-13-2011, 08:21 PM
Thufir Hawat

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 15:53:46 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:

>> > And your Linux desktop would work as a server.
>> >
>> > But I'd still buy a huge set of speakers instead. :-)
>>
>> Which however don't help if you want to listen to music away from the
>> huge set of speakers, like in another floor.
>
> Have you checked out XBMC media center? It's supposed to be the end-all
> of streaming audio/video applications for the home/web. It's a monster
> of an application. Maybe it will fit your bill. It's in the repo's.
> Also, check http://xbmc.org/ for detailed information. It's a little bit
> CPU intensive, but that's OK for a dedicated standalone server. Ric

I'm still actually searching for something I can leave on for extended
periods, but otherwise, yes, that's what I'd use

(Yes, I'm aware that it's contentious to not leave the PC running 24x7.)

I'm also considering the Sony Dash (just a branded version of the chumby),
but the speakers definitely leave something to be desired, and the apps
don't compare to Android.

Kinda leaning towards an Archos Android device, but, unless you shell out
$300+, crummy speakers

-Thufir