FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-25-2011, 11:58 AM
Neil Cherry
 
Default IPv6 - how do I get ready?

On 01/24/2011 02:08 PM, ANDY wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 11:54 AM, Harry Strongburg <harry.ubuntu@harry.lu
> <mailto:harry.ubuntu@harry.lu>> wrote:
>
>
> Eh, that's subjective. There's no NAT to "protect" the clients connected
> to your router on IPv6,
>
>
>
> No NAT? Huh, there's a big change.
>
> I hope ISPs plan user router firmware upgrades, and not to make everyone buy new routers.

???

Where you live does the ISP mandate you must use their router? I have
my own router and they can't update anything.

Here's a bit of info I pulled together on IPv6:

http://www.ushomeautomation.com/Notes/home-ipv6.html
http://www.ushomeautomation.com/Notes/IPv6/Firewall-router.html

--
Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry ncherry@linuxha.com
http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site
http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog
Author of: Linux Smart Homes For Dummies

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-25-2011, 09:32 PM
ANDY
 
Default IPv6 - how do I get ready?

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 5:58 AM, Neil Cherry <ncherry@linuxha.com> wrote:



Where you live does the ISP mandate you must use their router? I have

my own router and they can't update anything.


No, you can use compatible routers where you would be responsible for your own firmware updates.* Like most, this ISP also lets you rent their router and should be responsible for updating the firmware.


In my case, I bought the router from them which is branded to their service.* Neither their site nor the maker (Actiontec) offer firmware updates yet for IPv6.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-26-2011, 02:47 PM
Neil Cherry
 
Default IPv6 - how do I get ready?

On 01/25/2011 05:32 PM, ANDY wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 5:58 AM, Neil Cherry <ncherry@linuxha.com
> <mailto:ncherry@linuxha.com>> wrote:
>
>
> Where you live does the ISP mandate you must use their router? I have
> my own router and they can't update anything.
>
>
>
> No, you can use compatible routers where you would be responsible for your own firmware
> updates. Like most, this ISP also lets you rent their router and should be responsible
> for updating the firmware.
>
> In my case, I bought the router from them which is branded to their service. Neither
> their site nor the maker (Actiontec) offer firmware updates yet for IPv6.
>

Ah, thanks, just wanted to make sure. There are a number of technologies
which will allow IPv6 tunneling (which maybe the interim solution for
some).

With the IPv4 address counter now at 0 it looks like the rush may
soon begin. I'm afraid we will be living in 'interesting times'
until we can get the majority on dual stack (IPv6/IPv4).

--
Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry ncherry@linuxha.com
http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site
http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog
Author of: Linux Smart Homes For Dummies

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:08 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org