-   -   Strong encryption (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/480251-strong-encryption.html)

Doug Robinson 01-23-2011 10:11 PM

Strong encryption

Does anybody have a feel for the problems associated with
distributing software that employs Strong Encryption.

I have looked around and there is a number of good things
out there but I wonder if the US Feds are still throwing
hissie fits every time this stuff appears in public?

Thank you for your time.

dkr

Nathan Bahn 01-23-2011 11:36 PM

Strong encryption

Does anybody have a feel for the problems associated with

distributing software that employs Strong Encryption.

I have looked around and there is a number of good things

out there but I wonder if the US Feds are still throwing

hissie fits every time this stuff appears in public?

Thank you for your time.

dkr

dkr--

I don't know what "Strong Encryption" is; however, if you go to the Synaptic Package Manager and enter into the quick search field located at the top the following terms (sans quotation marks):

"encryption privacy"

then any number of options should show up.

As far as the F.B.I./N.S.A. are concerned, I have just two words to say both about them AND their (thankfully aborted) Clipper Chip Program:

Fuck 'em.

http://lorrie.cranor.org/pubs/crypt1.html

http://www.rsa.com/rsalabs/node.asp?id=2318

http://en.citizendium.org/wiki/Politics_of_cryptography
--N.B.

MR ZenWiz 01-24-2011 12:33 AM

Strong encryption

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 4:36 PM, Nathan Bahn <nathan.bahn@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know what "Strong Encryption" is; however, if you go to the Synaptic
> Package Manager and enter into the quick search field located at the top the
> following terms (sans quotation marks):
>
> "encryption privacy"
>
> then any number of options should show up.
>
> As far as the F.B.I./N.S.A. are concerned, I have just two words to say both
> about them AND their (thankfully aborted) Clipper Chip Program:

Now, now, don't you know it's rude to say things like that? If you
just have to cuss at someone (and those two TLA agencies are certainly
worth a nasty word or two), it won't hurt to use an asterisk or two
and thereby ensure it less likely that it's your asterisk.

So to speak.

Nathan Bahn 01-24-2011 01:29 AM

Strong encryption

> I don't know what "Strong Encryption" is; however, if you go to the Synaptic

> Package Manager and enter into the quick search field located at the top the

> following terms (sans quotation marks):

> "encryption privacy"

> then any number of options should show up.

> As far as the F.B.I./N.S.A. are concerned, I have just two words to say both

> about them AND their (thankfully aborted) Clipper Chip Program:

Now, now, don't you know it's rude to say things like that? *If you

just have to cuss at someone (and those two TLA agencies are certainly

worth a nasty word or two), it won't hurt to use an asterisk or two

and thereby ensure it less likely that it's your asterisk.

So to speak.

I most humbly (and respectfully!) beg your pardon.--nb

Doug Robinson 01-24-2011 02:10 AM

Strong encryption

I don't know what "Strong Encryption" is; however, if you go to
the Synaptic Package Manager and enter into the quick search field
located at the top the following terms (sans quotation marks):

"encryption privacy"

then any number of options should show up.

As far as the F.B.I./N.S.A. are concerned, I have just two words
to say both about them AND their (thankfully aborted) Clipper Chip
Program:

Fuck 'em.

http://lorrie.cranor.org/pubs/crypt1.html

http://www.rsa.com/rsalabs/node.asp?id=2318

http://en.citizendium.org/wiki/Politics_of_cryptography

--N.B.

Thank you. There are many options; but right now I am looking at

RSA/AES|blowfish or perhaps twofish.

I also understand your sentiments - I share them!

thank you for your time.

dkr

Doug Robinson 01-24-2011 02:14 AM

Strong encryption